France launches new climate plan; Euro 7 lead; targeting ending the sale of vehicles emitting GHGs by 2040

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCC: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/07/20170706-hulot.html

Nicolas Hulot, France’s new minister responsible for environment and energy, presented the country’s new climate plan at a press conference at the Ministry. Prepared at the request of the President and the Prime Minister, the climate action plan is divided into six main themes: render the Paris Agreement irreversible; improve the daily life of the French; end the use of fossil energy and engage in carbon neutrality; make France the Nº 1 green economy; encourage the potential of ecosystems and agriculture; and intensify international mobilization on climate diplomacy.

Among the many actions outlined in the plan is the targeting of ending the sale of cars emitting greenhouse gases (“gaz à effet de serre”) by 2040. (The plan at this current level of detail does not specify whether or not that is tailpipe emissions or full lifecycle emissions, factoring in upstream for electric vehicles.) France also intends to initiate an ambitious (“ambitieuse”) Euro 7 standard at the European level.

<snip list of shorter term actions>

The government will also work on laws dealing with road pricing, access to mobility, alternative modes of transportation and city traffic.

Also outlined in the plan is an initiative to halt the production of fossil hydrocarbons in France. The government will introduce a bill in the fall prohibiting new exporation permits—including for shale gas and unconventional hydrocarbons—and not renewing existing operating concessions.

The UK government has just made the same announcement official, No more diesel/petrol cars from 2040 :D http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

Lancpudn said:
The UK government has just made the same announcement official, No more diesel/petrol cars from 2040 :D http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581
As with all such plans, there are multiple elections in the 23 years between now and then, so whether or not any of these plans ever get implemented remains to be seen. Still, they provide useful goals/benchmarks.

[Update] There's been a clarification that HEVs and PHEVs won't be included in the ban.

GRA said:
Lancpudn said:
As with all such plans, there are multiple elections in the 23 years between now and then, so whether or not any of these plans ever get implemented remains to be seen. Still, they provide useful goals/benchmarks.

[Update] There's been a clarification that HEVs and PHEVs won't be included in the ban.

Yes lets just hope they mean it and are not just kicking the can down the road, Germany (and India) are looking to bring in these measures by 2030.

I was reading an article yesterday & no wonder BMW has announced that it's 'electrifying' it's model range.

TESLA MODEL 3 Owners Club, ran an interesting survey asking Model 3 reservation holders what car their upcoming Model 3 will be replacing.

Top of the list was BMW 3 series.

This also means that about a half million cars that would have been purchased over the next year or so, will not be bought, as their would-be owners are eagerly awaiting their new Model 3.

That is some serious coin BMW is losing out on.

2040 is not aggressive enough for my tastes. Sales of new diesel passenger vehicles should be banned by 2025, with gasoline to follow my 2030, in my opinion.

That said, I think that the majority of vehicles will be PHEV or BEVs by 2030 anyhow.

Durandal said:
2040 is not aggressive enough for my tastes. Sales of new diesel passenger vehicles should be banned by 2025, with gasoline to follow my 2030, in my opinion.

That said, I think that the majority of vehicles will be PHEV or BEVs by 2030 anyhow.[/quote

I can see diesel engined cars being taxed off the road to force drivers over to PHEV/BEV's long before that date, Most of the cities & large towns are already talking about putting expensive "pollution tax" tolls on city centres or outright bans on diesels cars.

A short article taken from....... the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders a few days ago.

The political backlash against diesel cars, driven by concerns about urban air quality, is having a significant effect. Registrations of new diesels were down 20% compared with the same period last year. Their market share has fallen considerably and
new car registrations fell 9.3% in July from a year earlier.

Meanwhile sales of electric and hybrid cars are growing. A year ago they had a market share of just 3%. Now it's 5.5% - still fairly small, but gathering momentum rapidly.

LTLFTcomposite said:
When will they be shutting down air travel in and out of France?
Your comment is not helpful to the discussion.

"The IPCC has estimated that aviation is responsible for around 3.5% of anthropogenic climate change, a figure which includes both CO2 and non-CO2 induced effects."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_aviation#Total_climate_effects

When tackling a problem, you first go for the largest impacting factors, then work your way towards the smaller items.

Air travel, particularly long haul international is a rapidly growing source of carbon emissions and a bunch of other pollutants. We can get two degrees of increase just on air travel alone.
It's also a classic case of haves and have nots. While it may not be the biggest slice of the pie, the people who are hanging out in that slice are the most emissive per capita. Passenger mile comparisons are meaningless; one round trip is more than most people drive in a whole year.

SageBrush said:
Does the UK or France plan have intermediate goals ?

Apart from the ULEZ (ultra low emission zones) being brought in for major towns & cities in the UK where older vehicles will be charged or banned the government doesn't seem to do anything unless it's threatened by the EU courts or the lawyers at Clientearth who took the UK government to court over it's dilly dallying on tackling air pollution. https://www.clientearth.org/gove-falls-first-hurdle-air-pollution-plans-environmental-lawyers/

Back