Joule Unlimited receives bacteria fossil fuel patent

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

FYI, without comment:

In September, a privately held and highly secretive U.S. bio-tech company named Joule Unlimited received a patent for “a proprietary organism” – a genetically adapted E. coli bacterium – that feeds solely on carbon dioxide and excretes liquid hydrocarbons: diesel fuel, jet fuel and gasoline. This breakthrough technology, the company says, will deliver renewable supplies of liquid fossil fuel almost anywhere on Earth, in essentially unlimited quantity and at an energy-cost equivalent of $30 (U.S.) a barrel of crude oil. It will deliver, the company says, “fossil fuels on demand.”

We’re not talking “bio-fuels” – not, at any rate, in the usual sense of the word. The Joule technology requires no “feedstock,” no corn, no wood, no garbage, no algae. Aside from hungry, gene-altered micro-organisms, it requires only carbon dioxide and sunshine to manufacture crude. And water: whether fresh, brackish or salt. With these “inputs,” it mimics photosynthesis, the process by which green leaves use solar energy to convert carbon dioxide into organic compounds. Indeed, the company describes its manufacture of fossil fuels as “artificial photosynthesis.”

Boy, if that really gets going, it would blast a hole in Big Oil.
But, sadly, too easy for the process to get "lost". :(

Best to send it 1,000 places around the globe,
to keep it "safe", I suspect.

I call BS. This is the EEStor of the bio-fuels industry.

If they have it - let them demostrate instead of just writing about it. As it stands, it is just patent-ware.

can we stop posting press releases, these are a dime a dozen and very few miracle anything ever make it. Let's keep the news stories to other blogs and EV news here, even the quick charge battery stuff has been going on for years. It's PR for companies, not news.

EVDRIVER said:
can we stop posting press releases
Just create a sub-forum for these types of things like other boards. Often they do encourage worthwhile discussion.

Back