Fraunhofer, KIT study finds CO2 mitigation potential of higher-range PHEVs greater than expected

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCC:
Fraunhofer, KIT study finds CO2 mitigation potential of higher-range PHEVs greater than expected
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/11/20171129-fraunhofer.html

. . . Further, they found that when the higher CO2eq emissions generated during the production phase of BEVs compared to PHEVs (due to the much larger BEV battery) are included in the analysis, a PHEV today shows higher CO2eq savings then BEVs compared to conventional vehicles. For significant ongoing CO2eq improvements of PHEVs—and particularly of BEVs—the decarbonization of the electricity system needs to continue, the researchers said.

For the study, the team compared the performance of 49,000 BEVs and 73,000 PHEVs in Germany and the US. The data are taken from fleet trials and automobile manufacturers as well as websites used by drivers to manage and monitor their own vehicles.

Analyzing the data showed that plug-in hybrids with a real-world electrical range of about 60 kilometers [Note: 37 miles] drive the same number of kilometers electrically as battery electric vehicles—up to 15,000 kilometers (9,321 miles) each year. Their CO2 reduction potential is therefore just as large as battery electric cars, the researchers said.

In the paper, the authors observed that when more fast charging stations become available, BEVs will increase their electrified VKT significantly as more trips will become feasible with intermediate charging. . . .

Interesting, but I personally would never buy a PHEV - just too complex, too many things that can wear down/break. I'll stick with a BEV, now and likely in future until some better technology replaces them.

Back