Republican Bill Would End EPA Rule Over Tailpipe Emissions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/02/bill-would-end-epa-rule-over-tailpipe-emissions.html

Really. They some want to have less fuel efficiency than we already have. Talk about an OPEC loving bill ... whatever happenned to Energy Independence and State Rights ? Some people are apparently still living in 9/10.

The top Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee has introduced legislation seeking to prevent the Environmental Protection Agency from setting national tailpipe emissions limits. The bill introduced by Republican Rep. Fred Upton, who represents Michigan's 6th district in a state that's heavily dependent on the automotive industry, would also bar California and a dozen other states from imposing their own emissions rules.

Not that this would ever pass the senate or be approved by Obama.

Looks like they are pandering to the base and the Koch brothers, rather than working on something that has a chance of passing the House and Senate and being signed into law. The "Do Nothing" party.

I'm not the best advocate to be defending the Republicans ;) but I think it's important to call those like Fred Upton as "fringe" elements not representative of the Republican Party as a whole. Yes I know they gave him this vital chairmanship, and that there is a struggle going on for control of the party and today's fringe may become the mainstream. But I fervently hope that the principled Republicans win out and remain in principled opposition to a principled Democratic Party.

Thus far I think the official position of the Republican Party, from the 2008 platform, favors energy independence, and supports steps towards that independence even when they involve government.
http://www.rightsidenews.com/200809...rgy-independence-priorty-for-republicans.html
Our current dependence on foreign fossil fuels threatens both our national security and our economy and could also force drastic changes in the way we live. The ongoing transfer of Americans' wealth to OPEC - roughly $700 billion a year - helps underwrite terrorists' operations and creates little incentive for repressive regimes to accept democracy, whether in the Middle East or Latin America.
...we will aggressively support technological advances to reduce our petroleum dependence. For example, lightweight composites could halve the weight and double the gas mileage of cars and trucks, and together with flex-fuel and electric vehicles, could usher in a renaissance in the American auto industry.

walterbays said:
Thus far I think the official position of the Republican Party, from the 2008 platform, favors energy independence, and supports steps towards that independence even when they involve government.
But the problem is they hate regulation more than they hate OPEC.

Stoaty said:
Looks like they are pandering to the base and the Koch brothers, rather than working on something that has a chance of passing the House and Senate and being signed into law. The "Do Nothing" party.
Don't get me started on the Koch bro's . . . man . . . they make me fantasize things that ought not be thunk

I'd never been to any of the flyover states until winter of 2009. After seeing 1st hand, what corporate america (AND the political parties) did to Detroit . . . I have NO faith in either party, nor any faith in big business. Detroit looks like bombed out Fallujah ... a destroyed / toxic wasteland right out of "The Road Warrior" movie. Sadly, Walt Disney (my employer for nearly 27 years so far) had "Tomorrow Land" all wrong. If corporate america and our two political parties have their way - the REAL Tomorrow Land WILL look like something right out of a Mel Gibson movie remake.

hill said:
. . . I have NO faith in either party, nor any faith in big business. Detroit looks like bombed out Fallujah ... a destroyed / toxic wasteland right out of "The Road Warrior" movie.
Yes - the Democratic Senators & the Union is as guilty of stalling EPA moves to increase fuel efficiency as are the Republicans and industry lobbies.

But recently the Democratic Senators & the Union have changed their tune. But not the Republicans and industry lobbies.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/02/air-board-chief-says-alliance-distorted-record.html

Here are the auto majors involved.

CARB%20Alliance%20Spat.jpg

Here is their alliance letter to Republican senators to gut the California's ability to regulate cars sold in the state.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48179979/Alliance-of-Automobile-Manufacturers-Letter-to-Chairman-Issa-January-11-2011#

Back