Garage door opener issue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ubeinem

When opening the garage door just before the door finishes opening there is a noticeable squeak. It happens at the same point every time.

I am wondering since it only squeaks one time if this is an issue besides it needing to be greased. If it was an issue with the track needing to be greased wouldn't it make noise every time one of the wheels crosses that part?

I am wondering if the door is coming off the track or a wheel needs to be replaced https://mechanicguides.com/best-garage-door-rollers/.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

The wheels in the track need to be greased. (Oiling them will also work, for a shorter time.) If the track is aluminum you need a special grease, I think. One wheel may also be worn to the point of needing replacement.

Disagree with Lefti. The WHEELS don't need greasing. Depending on the model the wheels may have obvious bearings at the axle that you can see through a gap, or sealed bearings. You can squirt a small tad of REAL oil into the gap. WD-40 is not a good lube, it stands for [water displacement].
Sealed bearings (some kind of a black membrane covering the actual bearing), don't need to be lubed.

If you have a CHAIN pull type, the chain and the track may need to be lubed. I suggest wiping the whole thing down with a rag, then use a dry grease spray on it. Be sparing. You don't do this for a cable, belt, or direct drive pull system.

Inside the motor housing you may have some gears. The housing usually is not too hard to take off. The gears need a decent regular grease. I do mine every year or so. I put a sticker with the date on it to help remember. I had my original gears eat themselves up (took ~10 years) and it was a hassle to replace. I did not know it needed that maintenance.

Post is in the wrong area. This definitely doesn't fit under "Environmental Issues". Belongs in off-topic area.

Also odd that this is 1st and only post from the OP so far, and it's not even Leaf nor EV-related...

cwerdna said:
Post is in the wrong area. This definitely doesn't fit under "Environmental Issues". Belongs in off-topic area.

Also odd that this is 1st and only post from the OP so far, and it's not even Leaf nor EV-related...

Haha! Half expect him to come back and say, "Well the garage door opener was fine before I got the LEAF, so it must be the LEAF's fault".

Back