Genetically engineered organism that killed the electic car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
Oh I won't. I still remember cold fusion :lol:
. . . . and lest we forget . . . . the flying car . . . . second only to my favorite, the rocket pack.
actually, there ARE quite a few algae (oil laden) farms doing quite well:
http://www.environblog.com/2008/06/algae-oil-production-disadvatages-benefits.html

Having followed many such inventions and world changers over the last 5 years, I can tell you most of them are crooks trying to make a fast buck and others come unstuck when they scale up. Wake me up when they can produce 100 kbpd i.e. what one decent oil field can produce.

Perhaps it can work, but "the four letter word that's the biggest stumbling block is whether it `will' work," Donohue said. "There are really good ideas that fail during scale up."

See this thread -> http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=48274#p48274

Esp. the interview I link there. There are people claiming more energy out of the fuel from one acre than the energy from Sun that falls on one acre.

I wish we would stop starting threads on the weekly biofuel that will be coming or the next nano battery, etc. Save the bandwidth for companies with actual products that work, these PR releases are very common these days.

EVDRIVER said:
I wish we would stop starting threads on the weekly biofuel that will be coming or the next nano battery, etc. Save the bandwidth for companies with actual products that work, these PR releases are very common these days.
Easy solution - put all these press release type stories into a separate "news" sub-forum like most other forums do.

It's easy to just toss this in with all the other algae projects, but do we know anything about this specific company?

They're preparing a demo plant just NW of Austin. It'll be interesting to watch this unfold.

Finally finished a quick scan of their website. It looks like, if this system works as it appears, it would be a great match for power plants or other industrial processes that need a way to use waste CO2.

http://www.jouleunlimited.com/why-solar-fuel/overview

Joule's production process avoids the depletion of precious natural resources, with no dependency on agricultural land, crops or fresh water. At the same time, an independently-conducted lifecycle analysis shows that, through our intake of waste CO2, we have the potential to reduce harmful carbon emissions on a large scale – up to 90% in some instances.
Industry is going to resist carbon tax or any other CO2 regulation until they're dead and gone - but give them a way to make money from a former waste product and they'll fall all over themselves to add another income stream to their bottom line.

EVDRIVER said:
This board has 2,638 topics as of this writing. Nobody is going to review them all to see if "their" topic has been covered before. Few use the forum search feature to find information on previously generated topics.

To your point about saving bandwidth, I disagree. Most new members (if they did locate a previously generated topic) would just add to that topic. Any growing forum has new members that do not read old threads, they start new ones. In any case, they are going to say what they came here to say, either by creating a new topic, or adding to an existing one. And the same discussions will always occur (to one extent or another) because not everyone started when you did, and when searching a common term, it returns too many posts to read. It is the nature of the beast and always will be. And some of these press releases actually provide useful information.

It looked like a unique approach/process, different from algae, and Yahoo saw fit to give it 15 minutes of fame as a headline, so I posted it. No doubt there are a lot of flim-flam guys out there but there's always a possibility that somebody will hit on something that works.

If you aren't interested in the topic can't you just change the channel? As for wasting bandwidth you can't be serious.

Maybe the real objection stems from some folks being singularly focused on electrification and being emotionally invested in the demise of liquid transportation fuels.

every change in the genetic code, especially one on a scale of the magitude needed to address our fuel needs has both pluses and minuses.

what the minus is? and there most certainly be one, remains to be seen. after all, "some" CO2 is needed for the rest of Planet Earth to survive.

when we start tossing weights on the scales to counteract imbalances, we are playing Russian Roulette with our future. granted, its most def worth the look, but tread carefully. there is no perfect solution and this should not be used as much more than a niche product at best. if it were to surplant the synergy towards EVs that Nissan has helped to create, that would be a disaster

Back