Study blames 2,200 deaths on traffic emissions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walterbays

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-05-25-traffic-pollution-premature-deaths-emissions_n.htm
Traffic congestion experts have long warned that pollution caused by idling vehicles on crowded roads was harming Americans' health. Now, for the first time, researchers at Harvard University have quantified the damage: They say that congestion in the USA's 83 largest urban areas last year led to more than 2,200 premature deaths and a related public health cost of at least $18 billion.

walterbays said:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-05-25-traffic-pollution-premature-deaths-emissions_n.htm
Traffic congestion experts have long warned that pollution caused by idling vehicles on crowded roads was harming Americans' health. Now, for the first time, researchers at Harvard University have quantified the damage: They say that congestion in the USA's 83 largest urban areas last year led to more than 2,200 premature deaths and a related public health cost of at least $18 billion.

YEAH BABY!!!

Let's keep giving subsidies to them thar oil companies!!! $18billion in related health costs ain't enough!!!!

/sarcastic rage off

Estimates? And what person have they determined has died from this? What death certificate has "Died from emissions" on it? Another "study." Just like studies that coffee causes cancer, wait...no it doesn't, well, sort of...wait, no it's good for you.

Talk about FUD. More hysteria backed by a "study" and "research."

Train said:
Estimates? And what person have they determined has died from this? What death certificate has "Died from emissions" on it? Another "study." Just like studies that coffee causes cancer, wait...no it doesn't, well, sort of...wait, no it's good for you.

Get your car yet :?:

Train said:

Train - What do you consider actionable, believable, legitimate information? From whom should it come?

Train said:

People have to get their PhD's somehow and then be able to justify them .. :)

Train said:

Yup, just a lot of "FUD". See for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particulate#Health_effects

Oops, that particulate matter really is bad for you, and it has been studied for a long time. Guess this is just like climate change... some people don't want to look at the evidence accumulating over decades when it goes against their beliefs.

xtremeflyer said:
Train said:

People have to get their PhD's somehow and then be able to justify them .. :)
Riiiiight. And since the info is completely false, we should tell the astronauts on the space station that it's OK to burn their checklists for heat if necessary, right? :shock: :lol:

Train said:

Ok, Train.....you're right. It's ALL FUD.

So grab a pack of smokes, start the ICE of your choice, and sit in a closed garage with the engine running and smoke your cigarettes like a chimney....you'll be just fine. After all, the FUD can't hurt you, can it?

In all seriousness, what would it take to have you believe that pollution caused by idling vehicles isn't harmful? Please be specific, or else you'll be guilty of spreading "esitmates" and FUD.

I'd really like to know.

ummm, the effects of particulates on humans is actually fairly well known and is NOT new news. in fact back in the 80's when CARB started, it was old news back then.

so, if you dispute this, where is your study that states sucking up exhaust does not reduce your lifespan?

First study I've seen that focuses only on engine idle emissions - seems like a good reason to go auto start/stop on all vehicles.

That said - I still feel like the vast majority of these emissions (at least my nose tells me) that diesel emissions from small to midsize trucks are the worst offenders. They tend to have the most visible smoke and because their tailpipes tend to be under the truck seem to concentrate them at ground level.

Other "stinky" vehicles always tend to be older cars - any diesel older than 2008 (before manufactures starting selling "clean" diesels), cars more than 10 years old and motorcycles.

Even cold starts on the Prius are noticeably stinky - I wish that Toyota designed the car to not start the engine until the first time it needs to instead of always starting it 7 seconds after turning it on.

mogur said:
And then there are the 50,000 that die yearly from just driving automobiles...
Excellent point! And there are bazillions of other ways large amount of people die each year.

But does that mean that it's OK to add to the overall death rate?

I was voluntarily in uniform for 20+ years - I got to make a conscious decision to put myself at risk. My eight year old has NOT made a conscious decision to give his body to his country...or the auto industry...or the coal industry...

mogur said:
Actually, modern ICE engines are so clean that you can't commit suicide this way anymore...

Jimmydreams said:
start the ICE of your choice, and sit in a closed garage with the engine running
Utter BS. Jever herd of carbon monoxide? Caint get that out with a fancy catal-lytic converter...

edit...
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2005/session2/2005_deer_mcdonald.pdf

emissions.jpg

AndyH said:
mogur said:
Actually, modern ICE engines are so clean that you can't commit suicide this way anymore...

Jimmydreams said:
start the ICE of your choice, and sit in a closed garage with the engine running
Utter BS. Jever herd of carbon monoxide? Caint get that out with a fancy catal-lytic converter...
Actually, mogur is right. With modern cars (w/cats) CO emissions are so low that it's much more difficult to die in an enclosed garage than it used to be.

http://chestjournal.chestpubs.org/content/115/2/580.long

http://www.carbonmonoxidekills.com/26/carbon_monoxide_emissions

Even without cats - modern cars produce a LOT less CO than they used to thanks to the wonders modern fuel injection.

None of this means that I would like to sit in an enclosed space with a running automobile, though! It may not kill you in a day - but that doesn't mean it's good for your long-term health!

Back