Charging During Thunderstorms

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERG4ALL

Had a fierce thunderstorm yesterday. We're about 180 miles from Phoenix as the crow flies and this storm even made it into Phoenix with some flooding. Anyway our LEAF was charging at the time. The power momentarily went out several times during the storm. This morning I went to run an errand in the LEAF, I noticed that it had not charged to its usual 80%. I started out the drive an then noticed the warning lights on the dash. I think these were the same ones that came on with the A/C problem. Remembering that, I did not turn the car off but drove right back to the garage. I shut it down and then put it on the AeroVironment charger. I thought maybe I can clear the error codes by running it through a charge cycle. I let it charge about 15 minutes and then went out and disconnected it knowing that it still would not have charged to the 80%. Lo and behold the car started up as normal with no error codes and ran perfectly. This really is a testament to the quality of the LEAF and perhaps the charger as well. All the same, the next time we have an electrical storm, I'm going to disconnect the LEAF from the charger.

I live in Phoenix too. Great recommendation. I hadn't thought about that during our last storm, but did notice the charge seemed less than my usual 80%, 76 miles I see after unplugging.

Back