Top scientist : politicians have heads in the sand over oil

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do you think Peak Oil happenned/will happen

• We are past peak (2005 or 2008)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Next 5 years (2010 to 2015)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Next 10 years (2015 to 2020)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • After 2020

• Peak Oil is a myth

• What is Peak Oil ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

evnow

Top scientist says politicians have 'heads in the sand' over oil
Supplies are dwindling and governments need to act now to introduce low-carbon transport, says Sir David King

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/09/sir-david-king-dwindling-oil-supplies

Britain's former chief scientist has attacked politicians and industry experts who have their "heads in the sand" over dwindling oil supplies.

Sir David King said governments, including the UK's, were too eager to believe the optimistic predictions of economists who tell them that "oil will be squeezed out of the ground pretty much forever".
He said: "That's what governments want to hear and that's what they do hear, and I think the British government as much as many others."

He added that those with a "vested interest" repeatedly overstated how much accessible oil remains in the ground. Conventional oil reserves are about 30% lower than widely reported, he said.
"I can't overemphasise the importance of persuading governments to focus attention on what's going to be a very significant issue as we move into the next decade.

"It is down to government to steer us towards a defossilised economy using the regulatory and financial incentives available.

overall, i dont think we have hit peak oil since i believe that half the oil the world has to offer has not yet been taken. and we should be fine for years to come IF... if we can find it all.

we would also have to take major risks to drill on highly treasured land that we already know has oil beneath it. sadly, one day; the value of oil will be high enough to sacrifice that land.

but the oil supply running out is not the major problem we face. its the environmental Hell we are creating by continuing to burn it, spill it, and destroy the flora and fauna to get it.

DaveinOlyWA said:
but the oil supply running out is not the major problem we face. its the environmental Hell we are creating by continuing to burn it, spill it, and destroy the flora and fauna to get it.

I see oil like I see bacon. Yep, bacon. I love the taste of bacon. It's usually pretty inexpensive. But if I become a pig (pun intended here!) about eating tons of it, it will eventually clog my areteries and I will likely die of a heart attack.

For those of you following along with my madness in this analogy, are we humans the plaque in the veins of the heart, the earth? Just pondering.
:ugeek:

chijayhawker said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I see oil like I see bacon. Yep, bacon. I love the taste of bacon. It's usually pretty inexpensive. But if I become a pig (pun intended here!) about eating tons of it, it will eventually clog my areteries and I will likely die of a heart attack.

For those of you following along with my madness in this analogy, are we humans the plaque in the veins of the heart, the earth? Just pondering.
:ugeek:

George Carlin had your answer:

http://www.climatechangefraud.com/videos/130-george-carlin-saving-the-planet

Conclusion: "We are here to give the earth plastic" and "the earth isn't going anywhere, WE ARE" and "the planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas"

DaveinOlyWA said:
overall, i dont think we have hit peak oil since i believe that half the oil the world has to offer has not yet been taken. and we should be fine for years to come IF... if we can find it all.

Look at this. We are way past peak discoveries. Unless magically we can find lot of oil suddenly, I don't see how we can avoid peak oil. Non-conventional oil (tar sands, deep sea) are too capital intensive, time consuming and environmentally unsafe to be able to scale up quickly.

discprod.gif

i agree that we are past peaks of all the oil wells we know about. Saudi Arabia does not publish what is left of theirs, so they are an unknown but all of North America is past peak oil, but there are still reserves we have not found. so that is why i state we are not past that point. but at the same time, we cannot wait until that point to start looking at other options. even with 25% penetration of EV's in the new car market (we are still YEARS from that!!) it will take 25 years to replace the oil burners out on the road today

DaveinOlyWA said:
Saudi Arabia does not publish what is left of theirs...

Actually they do. Just that you can't belive them - the OPEC quota depends on reserves, so they all exaggerate.

We need to find something like 4mbpd new reserves every year - just to maintain the current level of production. The GOM well that is gushing now is just 40 to 50kbpd. We need to drill 100 such new wells every year to maintain the production.

Back