User avatar
LTLFTcomposite
Posts: 4541
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Central FL

Re: Peaceful Protest Underway against Tar Sands Oil Pipeline

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:33 am

mwalsh wrote:I hope you were being sarcastic there? Because I can't believe you Canadians are drinking the Coolade too. We won't see any more Canadian oil in this country than we already see from existing pipelines reaching into the mid-west. Heck, we may even see less as production which currently ends up there is instead sent through Keystone down to the Gulf for eventual export to the far-east.

The only reason the Canadian Government want's Keystone down here is they don't want it (and the environmental risks thereof) in their own back-yard. And they're even willing to give up on the tax revenues on what flows down here through it in order to get rid!

Not sure who/what you were referring to but no sarcasm here. I am convinced the pipeline will make for higher gas prices here, not lower.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9518
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: Peaceful Protest Underway against Tar Sands Oil Pipeline

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Not sure who/what you were referring to but no sarcasm here. I am convinced the pipeline will make for higher gas prices here, not lower.


Messed up my quote editing. It's was MarkBC's comment I was referring to.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 76,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

MarkBC
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:17 am
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011

Re: Peaceful Protest Underway against Tar Sands Oil Pipeline

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:38 pm

mwalsh wrote:I hope you were being sarcastic there? Because I can't believe you Canadians are drinking the Coolade too. We won't see any more Canadian oil in this country than we already see from existing pipelines reaching into the mid-west. Heck, we may even see less as production which currently ends up there is instead sent through Keystone down to the Gulf for eventual export to the far-east.

The only reason the Canadian Government want's Keystone down here is they don't want it (and the environmental risks thereof) in their own back-yard. And they're even willing to give up on the tax revenues on what flows down here through it in order to get rid!


Of course Canadians consume oil too, just as much as Americans, but the point is Canada still has lots of oil left. I don't think you will see less oil as a result of this pipeline. I believe it is currently illegal to export crude overseas from the US. The only thing they'd be exporting is finished products but the only reason that is happening now is because the US is able to maintain such a huge trade deficit of oil imports. In the not-too-distant future the reserve currency status of the US dollar will end and then America will have to balance its trade. Then you can be sure there will be no diesel exports from USA! In that case the US will want oil from close to home and the way it will get more of it will be through this pipeline.

I'm not saying that this pipeline is in any way a solution, I'm just pointing out that America is far more dependent on oil than almost anyone realizes.

Oh don't think for a minute that the Canadian government doesn't want the other pipeline out west. Harper is an ex-oil man. It's BC that's putting up the resistance.

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9518
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: Peaceful Protest Underway against Tar Sands Oil Pipeline

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:45 pm

MarkBC wrote:
mwalsh wrote:I hope you were being sarcastic there? Because I can't believe you Canadians are drinking the Coolade too. We won't see any more Canadian oil in this country than we already see from existing pipelines reaching into the mid-west. Heck, we may even see less as production which currently ends up there is instead sent through Keystone down to the Gulf for eventual export to the far-east.

The only reason the Canadian Government want's Keystone down here is they don't want it (and the environmental risks thereof) in their own back-yard. And they're even willing to give up on the tax revenues on what flows down here through it in order to get rid!


Of course Canadians consume oil too, just as much as Americans, but the point is Canada still has lots of oil left. I don't think you will see less oil as a result of this pipeline. I believe it is currently illegal to export crude overseas from the US. The only thing they'd be exporting is finished products but the only reason that is happening now is because the US is able to maintain such a huge trade deficit of oil imports. In the not-too-distant future the reserve currency status of the US dollar will end and then America will have to balance its trade. Then you can be sure there will be no diesel exports from USA! In that case the US will want oil from close to home and the way it will get more of it will be through this pipeline.

I'm not saying that this pipeline is in any way a solution, I'm just pointing out that America is far more dependent on oil than almost anyone realizes.

Oh don't think for a minute that the Canadian government doesn't want the other pipeline out west. Harper is an ex-oil man. It's BC that's putting up the resistance.


Glad to hear you say most of that.

Yes, it won't be exported as crude...it will be refined at Port Arthur first. Trust me...not a drop of Canadian oil will be kept here. Decreasing Americas dependence on foreign oil (I always thought Canadians were foreign anyway?) is the biggest boondoggle of this whole deal. With the number of new jobs being touted as the second biggest boondoggle.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 76,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

AndyH
Posts: 6384
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Peaceful Protest Underway against Tar Sands Oil Pipeline

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:25 pm

MarkBC wrote:I don't know what America is going to do without Canadian oil. Its trade deficit will soon end (the US oil trade deficit represents 13% of global oil production, and Americans consume 21% of global oil production, despite representing only 5% of the global population). The US imports about half the oil it consumes (although I believe Bakken production has provided a short term spike which might bring that to about 1/3, not quite sure what the up to date numbers are). There is no way America is even remotely close to getting off oil.

Thanks for weighing in, Mark.

I cannot disagree with your observations or numbers. We're very addicted and there's not much happening to break that addiction.

The only point where I cannot follow you is suggesting that any of this has anything to do with the KXL pipeline. The reason this is a non sequitur is because we know that products refined from the diluted bitumen the KXL may bring to the Gulf of Mexico are not going to be used in the US. We know this for a couple of reasons. First, because the destination refinery is 1/2 owned by Saudi Arabia. The refinery is located in a tax-free export zone. 60% of the fuel is already pre-sold to - CHINA.

How will we benefit from the project? We may have 35 permanent jobs once the pipelines are complete.

What's the down side? 1. Because TransCanada has proved that DilBit is not crude oil, they do not have to pay the oil tax that supports the spill response process. 2. The southern pipeline already has holes in the pipes - and it's not yet been pressurized. 3. The last DilBit pipeline brought on-line in the MidWest has leaked 13 times in the first 12 months it was in operation (and the dilbit cannot be cleaned from water). 4. TransCanada is using eminent domain and coercion to essentially steal private property. 5. Completion of the southern leg from Oklahoma to the Gulf (currently underway) will reduce an oil surplus in the midwest - and result in HIGHER fuel prices from Ohio to Missouri.

Then there's the whole carbon thing...

http://priceofoil.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/KXL_undermine_energy_security_2page_Web.pdf

Here's a look at the KXL from a 'boots on the ground' perspective - ND and Texas land owners:
http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/farmers-%26-ranchers/50c77b4d2b8c2a2ff1000274
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

AndyH
Posts: 6384
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Peaceful Protest Underway against Tar Sands Oil Pipeline

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Welcome to a week of protests - already in progress...

http://www.tarsandsblockade.org/weekofaction/planned_actions/

protest.jpg


It’s becoming increasingly clear that we cannot rely on corporation-funded politicians to oppose corporate excess; we must engage this destructive industry directly. That’s what we’ve done in Texas, and it’s working: in February, TransCanada reported lower fourth-quarter earnings and admitted that the southern portion of Keystone XL (the Gulf Coast Project) was way behind schedule and only 45 percent completed. By showing up at their offices and putting a stop to “business as usual,” we can show tar sands investors that their lives would be easier and their businesses more secure if they invested in projects that don’t endanger our communities’ health and the chance for a livable climate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

AndyH
Posts: 6384
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Peaceful Protest Underway against Tar Sands Oil Pipeline

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:27 am

State Department KXL assessment used TransCanada-provided contractor; contractor biographies and prior projects redacted...

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/03/keystone-xl-contractor-ties-transcanada-state-department
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11442
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Peaceful Protest Underway against Tar Sands Oil Pipeline

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:13 pm

TransCanada can't get their pipeline through BC. Apparently they tried sometime back to win over the public with ads in movie theatres etc. People were laughing at the ads (according to first hand reports by a reporter on local NPR).
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

AndyH
Posts: 6384
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Peaceful Protest Underway against Tar Sands Oil Pipeline

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:12 am



Ultra-conservative, Marine, retired oil company chemist...and fighting TransCanada in Texas courts...

I came to East Texas nearly 30 years ago after spending all of my teen years and most of my adult life along the Houston Ship Channel, working in the oil refineries and chemical plants. I see beauty everywhere but I really like East Texas in the springtime. I bought this property to leave to my children and grandchildren—a legacy, if you will. With my sons, and now my daughter, I have done my best to instill in them the responsibility of stewardship and how to properly take care of Earth and its creatures. I went outside to check the fruit trees in my orchard last week and, as I have for 30 years, marveled at the beauty of the blossoms on the pear, cherry, apple and peach trees. I also had tears in my eyes, because only a few feet away is the pipeline that is going to carry some of the most toxic material found on Earth.

http://ecowatch.com/2013/america-sacrifice-zone-export-pipeline/
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY


Return to “Environmental Issues”