Black Leaf with Black rims

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenehet

Just trying out new looks on the leaf. I've been thinking of running black rims on my black leaf. Here is a vid of the first set I've tried.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XN_9VMvri4&list=PLce0SvuauuaEBIdEKfQWLD2WFFL9ufnzg

One thing that stands out to me, is that this particular wheel combo is much smaller than stock which only makes the wheel gap in the front more obvious. Seems like every time I think new Wheels, I end up thinking , New suspension. :)

Here's a black leaf with 18" rims. This has 40-series tires, which I believe maintains the stock circumference.

More pics here
Like the 17's above, I think the combo looks a bit too small for the size of the wheel well.

Here are my 17's again with a larger set of tires:

FYI, plasti dip is a fairly inexpensive way to experiment with colors without committing to a new set of rims. Try out a color and if you don't like it, peel it off and start with something new....

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nubo said:
FYI, plasti dip is a fairly inexpensive way to experiment with colors without committing to a new set of rims. Try out a color and if you don't like it, peel it off and start with something new....
That's what I did. Here are those wheels, pre-plasti-dip:

I used black plasti-dip with a little bit of silver metalizer.

LeftieBiker said:
The plastic dip seems to produce a flat finish, though, and gloss black would, IMO, be better with the car's paint.

They have a clear version ("glossifier") that adds gloss to whatever base colors you used. Sort of a rubberized "clear coat".

LeftieBiker said:
The plastic dip seems to produce a flat finish, though, and gloss black would, IMO, be better with the car's paint.
I'm thinking of re-doing my wheels this spring - black with plasti-dip glossifier, to give it a shiny finish. We'll see if I have time.
Here's a picture comparing a flat-black plasti-dipped wheel to one with glossifier added (click for larger version):

Zenehet said:
The g35s look great. The mix of silver with black make it almost gunmetal.
That's the look I was trying to achieve. :cool:

Unfortunately, I didn't do a great job of putting on the plasti-dip. It has a lot more texture than expected. After doing some reading, it sounds like I was putting on my coats too thin and spraying from too great a distance. That extra texture makes them show the dirt a lot, and they're very hard to clean now. That's the main reason I'm thinking about redoing them.

pbGg4PARj

eyPqe2dKj

That youtube video mentioned 205/40/17 tires and the OP a change of suspension which would be way the wrong direction. Your odometer and speedometer would be off significantly. You'd be running around 885 RPM when you want 815 leaving your gauges off by about 8% assuming no physical issues with clearance, braking, or logical issues with traction control.

A leaf with 17" tires should be looking at 215/50R17 (about 815 RPM) or 225/50R17 (about 805 RPM) or at worst if you want wider tires 235/45R17 (about 820 RPM) and last resort 225/45R17 (about 830 RPM).

Back