TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:38 pm

jpadc wrote:... As a proportion of total number of cars manufactured and sold, even ONE LEAF fire makes this car a statistically higher risk than most any other on the road today ...

Clearly there is room for debate and discussion, but that statement really needs some supporting data.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

jpadc
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2014

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:46 pm

Firetruck41 wrote: I would say it is probably more common for modern car fires to be a result of a 12v issue, than a fuel/fluid/engine heat problem.
Not according to these guys, and they work for insurance companies. Note they attribute 12 volt fires to battery charging and batteries sparking and catching fuel on fire. http://www.waltersforensic.com/articles/fire_investigation/vol3-no1.htm
2013 Leaf S /w Charge Package - Purchased new in Iowa City Dec. 2014
My previous car was a 2008 Prius Touring Package 5 - 73k Miles, 43 MPG lifetime

Firetruck41
Leaf Number: 408264

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:06 pm

jpadc wrote:
Firetruck41 wrote: I would say it is probably more common for modern car fires to be a result of a 12v issue, than a fuel/fluid/engine heat problem.
Not according to these guys, and they work for insurance companies. Note they attribute 12 volt fires to battery charging and batteries sparking and catching fuel on fire. http://www.waltersforensic.com/articles/fire_investigation/vol3-no1.htm

Meh... sounds like yesteryear. In my experience in modern cars, 12v is more likely cause. There are a few issues in that marketing material that aren't quite jiving with my experiences putting out those fires.
8/2015- New to me 12bar 2013 SV w/QC package and 37k miles

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:26 pm

jpadc wrote:

you are attributing that to fuel only but not everyone takes that view.

See howstuffworks version of that

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-drivi ... htm#page=9

Electrical system failures take the second spot on the list because they're the second most common cause of car fires [source: Walters Forensic Engineering]. Car batteries are problematic, and not just the hybrid and all-electric vehicle battery pack types we've already discussed. A typical car's standard battery is capable of causing plenty of trouble. The battery's charging cycles can cause explosive hydrogen gas to build up in the engine bay, and the electrical current the battery provides (along with faulty or loose wiring) can produce sparks that can quickly ignite a fluid drip or leaked vapors. The electrical system's hazards aren't confined to the area under the hood, either. Electrical wiring runs throughout the entire car; through channels, into doors, under the carpet and through powered and heated seats, just to name a few places where a stray, unnoticed frayed wire could cause havoc.
2012 Leaf tires 195/65/15 Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S, 15" Rims
wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss
(leaf range chart)
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

Shawn75067
Delivery Date: 28 Sep 2015

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:07 pm

Come on guys, this debate could go on forever. Bottom line is, thus far we do not know why my car caught fire! Speculation comes from many angles and ends in even more angles. I began to engage in this forum because I am the one who experienced this problem and am hoping nobody else has but urge safety and concern going forward. I will not own another Leaf after my personal experience, but I hope for everyone's sake that my car was an isolated incident and not part of a larger number that is being covered up or has yet to emerge.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:39 pm

Shawn75067 wrote:I have pictures from afterward, but do not know how to post them from my computer on here.

You should be able to put some up at free image sharing sites like Flickr, Imageshack, Imgur, Picasa or maybe Pinterest.

Or... us paid members can post pics, but it's some work on our part.

Again, very sorry to hear about your ordeal and totally get you wouldn't want another Leaf. Please file that safety complaint w/NHTSA, if you haven't already. Hope they get to the bottom of this and yours was a one-off or that if there is a recall class problem, they figure it out and issue a recall for the affected cars.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

jhm614
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:26 am

Shawn75067 wrote:Come on guys, this debate could go on forever. Bottom line is, thus far we do not know why my car caught fire! Speculation comes from many angles and ends in even more angles. I began to engage in this forum because I am the one who experienced this problem and am hoping nobody else has but urge safety and concern going forward. I will not own another Leaf after my personal experience, but I hope for everyone's sake that my car was an isolated incident and not part of a larger number that is being covered up or has yet to emerge.

Shawn,

So glad that nobody was hurt. Has your insurance company said anything?

J.
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 105,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

Shawn75067

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:58 am

I did file with on safe car and haven't heard anything yet. My insurance company Unfortunately never did tell me and seem unsure of what caused the fire, they deemed it totaled and moved on. I'll keep everyone posted if there is any more news. Feel free to ask any questions if you need further detail of the incident.

jpadc
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2014

Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:12 am

Shawn75067 wrote:Come on guys, this debate could go on forever. Bottom line is, thus far we do not know why my car caught fire! Speculation comes from many angles and ends in even more angles. I began to engage in this forum because I am the one who experienced this problem and am hoping nobody else has but urge safety and concern going forward. I will not own another Leaf after my personal experience, but I hope for everyone's sake that my car was an isolated incident and not part of a larger number that is being covered up or has yet to emerge.
Shawn:
I am certainly glad you did. Please, this "debate" is nothing more than a little back and forth banter that makes the board fun. It would be a boring place if everyone always agreed. But I certainly don't want you to feel like the place and thread is unwelcoming so, as you request, I'll let the discussion drop. The important thing is to ultimately let us know if/when you learn something. I for one hope my colleagues are right and this really is "nothing to see here"
2013 Leaf S /w Charge Package - Purchased new in Iowa City Dec. 2014
My previous car was a 2008 Prius Touring Package 5 - 73k Miles, 43 MPG lifetime

Shawn75067

Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:49 am

Thank you for your reply and insight. I am a very laid back guy and not familiar with forums like this. I was sensing conflict and apologize for my misunderstanding. I jumped on because after finding this feed, I saw so much speculation that was off track and was hoping to give first hand insight of what did occur and welcome any information that may be helpful as well.

Return to “Pictures, Videos”