Shawn75067
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:33 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Sep 2015

Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:51 am

Thank you for your insight. Still so surprised this happened. Would really like to know if anyone else has been effected by this.

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9411
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:55 am

Shawn75067 wrote:Thank you for your insight. Still so surprised this happened. Would really like to know if anyone else has been effected by this.


Nope. You are quite literally the only one.

So while it's unfortunate, and I am sorry you were freaked out (equally glad nobody was hurt), it's probably not a massive concern to most here going forward. Car fires happen, and gasoline is not always the cause.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 68,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

TimLee
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:52 am

Shawn75067 wrote:... Still so surprised this happened. ...

Glad you are OK.

I think everyone is surprised as this is first report of LEAF fire with four and a half years of experience and 80,000 in the US and over 100,000 world wide.
As others stated some small % of all vehicles with electrical systems have fires.
Maybe a bit more surprising this is the first report on a LEAF.

What did it look like after the fire was out?
From the video it was pretty intense fire.
Depending on severity of the fire Nissan or NHTSA might be interested in forensic investigation.
Where is the vehicle now?

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

Shawn75067
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:33 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Sep 2015

Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:18 am

I have pictures from afterward, but do not know how to post them from my computer on here.

I'm surprised also that there are no other known cases of fire with the Leaf anywhere else. So glad that no one else was injured as well as myself.

The vehicle is in a salvage yard in Dallas.

Valdemar
Posts: 2362
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:54 am

Looking at the cutout, is that plastic below the thick high-voltage cable or metal? If it is plastic seems like a poor protection from road hazards.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
60.5AHr, SOH 94%, 105k miles
9kW Solar

jpadc
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:25 am
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2014
Location: Indiana & Wisconsin

Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:37 am

mwalsh wrote: Car fires happen, and gasoline is not always the cause.
True that, but if not gasoline (or oil), its usually the heat off an ICE that is the cause. The idea that this fire is due to a 12 volt electrical short seems unlikely (i.e., impossible) to me. Unless the 12 volt is run through a a very carefully wound coil (like an old style cigarette lighter) or a dead short across the battery terminals with a very heavy gauge wire, nothing 12 volt underneath that dash could produce the heat necessary to start a fire. But if either the 12 volt system or the traction battery was shorting you would think it would a) make a lot of noise and b) dramatically effect the operation of the car such that you would not find yourself driving “normally” until you noticed smoke.

Since no one was injured (thankfully) I can understand the relative lack of interest in the cause, but I would think your insurance company would be looking to push the cost onto someone else so at least they would send someone out to have a closer look.
2013 Leaf S /w Charge Package - Purchased new in Iowa City Dec. 2014
My previous car was a 2008 Prius Touring Package 5 - 73k Miles, 43 MPG lifetime

RonDawg
Posts: 2572
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:47 am

There are plenty of cars in salvage yards and insurance auction yards whose interiors burned up as a result of a 12 volt short circuit. Check out this video of how even 12 volts can generate enough heat to start a fire in a car interior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYYnqiKqslY

Remember the initial heat source doesn't have to be huge, just enough to start something flammable on fire. From there the flammable materials take over the rest.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

Shawn75067
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:33 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Sep 2015

Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:53 am

I have submitted the information to safe car website and who knows if we'll hear anything from here. Even if it was a low power wiring issue, it still shouldn't have happened as the car was in perfect condition and only 2 years old.

Firetruck41
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:36 am
Leaf Number: 408264
Location: SW Washington State

Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:56 am

jpadc wrote:
mwalsh wrote: Car fires happen, and gasoline is not always the cause.
True that, but if not gasoline (or oil), its usually the heat off an ICE that is the cause. The idea that this fire is due to a 12 volt electrical short seems unlikely (i.e., impossible) to me. Unless the 12 volt is run through a a very carefully wound coil (like an old style cigarette lighter) or a dead short across the battery terminals with a very heavy gauge wire, nothing 12 volt underneath that dash could produce the heat necessary to start a fire. But if either the 12 volt system or the traction battery was shorting you would think it would a) make a lot of noise and b) dramatically effect the operation of the car such that you would not find yourself driving “normally” until you noticed smoke.

Since no one was injured (thankfully) I can understand the relative lack of interest in the cause, but I would think your insurance company would be looking to push the cost onto someone else so at least they would send someone out to have a closer look.

12V is a common cause of car fires.
8/2015- New to me 12bar 2013 SV w/QC package and 37k miles

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9411
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:51 am

Firetruck41 wrote:12V is a common cause of car fires.


Although I'm no expert, I would have to agree.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 68,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

Return to “Pictures, Videos”