Mount Diablo run (large pics)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubo

Took our new 2012 up nearby Mount Diablo to give it a good workout. Performed quite admirably. The regen in Eco mode gave good control for modulating speed on the way up. And on the way down got about 2 bars back into the pack.

diablorun6.jpg

diablorun4.jpg

That's a nice little mountain climb. Beautiful! I have fond memories of bicycling to the top of Diablo about 20 years ago, during a summer spent in the Bay Area. How many bars of charge did you use?

abasile said:
That's a nice little mountain climb. Beautiful! I have fond memories of bicycling to the top of Diablo about 20 years ago, during a summer spent in the Bay Area. How many bars of charge did you use?

Started the climb from north gate road with 8 bars, By the top that had dropped to 3 bars and a guessometer range of 14 miles. At the end of the descent it had just popped into the 6th bar with a guessometer range of 60.

Literally hundreds of cyclists taking on the mountain. I've got to get over there this Spring too. But I prefer a quiet weekday. I like to minimize the number of people that get to watch me suffer :) Much more pleasant with light traffic on that road for bikes, especially on the descent.

Nubo said:
Started the climb from north gate road with 8 bars, By the top that had dropped to 3 bars and a guessometer range of 14 miles. At the end of the descent it had just popped into the 6th bar with a guessometer range of 60.
That's some good regen! It undoubtedly helped that you were not able to drive fast on that twisty descent. I typically get less regen than that on a longer descent down CA-330 (5000 feet), partly because of the higher speeds, and partly because of starting the descent with a higher state of charge (7 or 8 bars).

Nubo said:

What is the total driving distance from the north gate to the summit and back?

linkim said:
Nubo said:

What is the total driving distance from the north gate to the summit and back?

Just shy of 11 miles from the gate to the summit, elevation from about 330 to 3800 ft.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5237305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

abasile said:
Nubo said:
That's some good regen! It undoubtedly helped that you were not able to drive fast on that twisty descent. I typically get less regen than that on a longer descent down CA-330 (5000 feet), partly because of the higher speeds, and partly because of starting the descent with a higher state of charge (7 or 8 bars).

It was a lot of traffic, and rarely above mid-20's on the speed; often less. Was consciously trying to anticipate and modulate the brake to get max regen without flipping to friction; not sure if that helped but it was fun though a bit of work. On the way up the regen made things super-easy.

Nubo said:
abasile said:
That's a nice little mountain climb. Beautiful! I have fond memories of bicycling to the top of Diablo about 20 years ago, during a summer spent in the Bay Area.
Literally hundreds of cyclists taking on the mountain. I've got to get over there this Spring too. But I prefer a quiet weekday. I like to minimize the number of people that get to watch me suffer :) Much more pleasant with light traffic on that road for bikes, especially on the descent.
Back before many of you were born ('64 or '65) my wife and I climbed that mountain on our bikes. We both had 3-speed Sturmey-Archer hub gears. She did OK, because her bike had rim brakes, but I had an old style with the brake in the hub. (You pedaled backwards to apply it.) Don't ever try to come down Mt. Diablo with a hub brake! The graphite separating the brake disks literally melted out, leaving the brakes nearly useless. That was the most frightening event in my entire life.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Back before many of you were born ('64 or '65) my wife and I climbed that mountain on our bikes. We both had 3-speed Sturmey-Archer hub gears. She did OK, because her bike had rim brakes, but I had an old style with the brake in the hub. (You pedaled backwards to apply it.) Don't ever try to come down Mt. Diablo with a hub brake! The graphite separating the brake disks literally melted out, leaving the brakes nearly useless. That was the most frightening event in my entire life.
That you both did the climb on an old-school three-speed is impressive. I can imagine that the gear ratios were not ideal. Thank God that you survived the descent!

abasile said:
planet4ever said:
Back before many of you were born ('64 or '65) my wife and I climbed that mountain on our bikes. We both had 3-speed Sturmey-Archer hub gears.
That you both did the climb on an old-school three-speed is impressive. I can imagine that the gear ratios were not ideal.
Well, I didn't say we did it without stopping. We took several breaks to rest on the way up. We actually rode our bikes from Stockton, staying with friends in Byron before and after our day on the mountain.

Does anyone remember Doug Pledger? We used to listen to his radio show on KNBR (I think) every morning, and he would always call up to a ranger on top of Mt. Diablo to get the weather forecast, augmented by enthusiastic descriptions of the scenery. That is what led to our trip up the mountain, and it was awesome.

Ray

I see Carwings has more detailed breakdown per "trip" for the day under "electric rate simulation"...

Jan 1 2011

trip....total.........consum....regen........dist.........m/kWh
1...... 4.2kWh.....5.4kWh....1.3kWh.....18.2miles..4.3miles/kWh stopped on the way to Mt. Diablo for water and aspirin. ;)
2...... 7.6kWh.....8.8kWh....1.2kWh.....14.9miles..2.0miles/kWh drive from the store to the Mt. Diablo summit.
3...... 1.2kWh.....5.5kWh....4.2kWh.....26.1miles..21.3miles/kWh down the mountain thence to Martinez, some freeway. 21.3 m/kWh! :mrgreen:
4...... 3.7kWh.....5.4kWh....1.7kWh.....14.1miles..3.8miles/kWh back home from Martinez (mostly freeway).

Nubo said:
I see Carwings has more detailed breakdown per "trip" for the day under "electric rate simulation"...

Thank you very much for posting this.

I feel like an idiot for not having noticed this very useful info before.

But my CW "electric rate simulation" info will only go back as far as November.

Everyone else in the same boat?

Is there a way to recover info from earlier months?

Back