Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Flower Power / Earth Day

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:42 pm

As I was doing some yardwork today, reflections of our flowers in the LEAF caught my eye and I thought it made a nice photo for Earth Day.

Truth be told, I was killing plants at the time. But I'm pleased to say that not a drop of gasoline was employed as I went about my business with electric lawnmower and electric weed trimmer. :mrgreen: I must say I'm impressed with the 10 Amp Ryobi unit. It's power is easily a match for the gas-powered trimmers. And it's a joy not having to mess with gas/oil, fussy starts or being engulfed in an exhaust cloud.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

JohnOver
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 24 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4232

Re: Flower Power / Earth Day

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Nubo wrote:I must say I'm impressed with the 10 Amp Ryobi unit. It's power is easily a match for the gas-powered trimmers. And it's a joy not having to mess with gas/oil, fussy starts or being engulfed in an exhaust cloud.

I don't need a lawnmower (Yippee!) but I definitely have a hillside full of fire hazard that I need to trim a couple of times a year. Would you recommend the Ryobi? If so, what's the model #?
2011 LEAF (Silver SL+QC) - 6/24/11 (on 2/3/08 reserved an Aptera 2e #372)
AV EVSE, plus Ingineer's 240V upgrade, and a fist full of adapters
Other cars: '05 Honda Accord Hybrid, '96 Honda Odyssey
6.5 kW PV, making ~24 kWh per day (average).

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:39 pm

JohnOver wrote:I don't need a lawnmower (Yippee!) but I definitely have a hillside full of fire hazard that I need to trim a couple of times a year. Would you recommend the Ryobi? If so, what's the model #?

The model is RY15122 -- it's a power-head that fits the same modular system as their gas power-heads. I'm not sure but I seem to recall it may be a Home Depot exclusive.

I got it last summer, and I'm very happy with it so far. I've got a fairly large area to deal with and substantial weeds/brambles/etc.... It chews through just as well as (if not better than) my previous gas-powered units, which I had to fuss with any time they'd been stored for any length of time. With the electric you push the switch and get on with business -- without the fumes. The only small hassle is needing to deal with the cord. And since I've got a large area to deal with I've got a 100 foot cord. With that length at 10 amps, to avoid voltage drop I'm using a 10 gauge cord. A 100-foot, 10-gauge cord is definitely some mass to deal with, and cost probably double what the Ryobi power head did. But it keeps the motor happy, and my hedge trimmer benefits from it too. I used to wonder why my electric hedge trimmers would burn out every couple of years. Now I think it might have been due to the voltage sag from the 100-ft 14-gauge cord I'd been using.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

EricBayArea
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:35 pm

I was tempted to take a photo of my LEAF in front of the gas station and say "Happy Birthday Earth." but never got around to it :)
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

ksnogas2112
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 021881

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:28 am

EricBayArea wrote:I was tempted to take a photo of my LEAF in front of the gas station and say "Happy Birthday Earth." but never got around to it :)

We had a Shell station going through ownership change so it was abandoned for about a month. I always meant to stop and get a picture with my Leaf while it was abandoned and post, one down and a million to go.
Tom in KS
100 Mile Club-#57
http://ksnogas.blogspot.com/
Try reading a book, it's a novel experience
MY 2012 - Cayenne Red-55,000+ miles

Return to “Pictures, Videos”