Lasareath
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Re: Sunroof!! Finally!

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:41 pm

I'm getting the 5300, it's exactly the same as the 4300 but with more power options. Memory locations and full auto mode. But the glass, size, mechanics are all exactly the same as the 4300.

oxo wrote:I'd urge both of you to request the Solaire 4300. I have done *many* aftermarket sunroofs and every one of the other models being considered or installed have potential issues. ASC has been doing this for longer than just about everyone in the entire country.
Are you running into a lot of EV HOLES or ICEHOLES ?

Teach new EV owners about EV Etiquette with my Windshield Notes / Notices I sell on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/evEtiquette?

oxo

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Lasareath wrote:I'm getting the 5300, it's exactly the same as the 4300 but with more power options. Memory locations and full auto mode. But the glass, size, mechanics are all exactly the same as the 4300.

oxo wrote:I'd urge both of you to request the Solaire 4300. I have done *many* aftermarket sunroofs and every one of the other models being considered or installed have potential issues. ASC has been doing this for longer than just about everyone in the entire country.

Yep, with more potential issues with the control module.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:31 am

Yep. But then it'll match everything it my car. I didn't buy an SV. I got the SL. I don't want the pop-up manual sunroof. I want the one with the most frills. Thanks.

oxo wrote:
Lasareath wrote:I'm getting the 5300, it's exactly the same as the 4300 but with more power options. Memory locations and full auto mode. But the glass, size, mechanics are all exactly the same as the 4300.

Yep, with more potential issues with the control module.

Teach new EV owners about EV Etiquette with my Windshield Notes / Notices I sell on Etsy:

oxo

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:36 am

Lasareath wrote:Yep. But then it'll match everything it my car. I didn't buy an SV. I got the SL. I don't want the pop-up manual sunroof. I want the one with the most frills. Thanks.

Just for the record it's not a pop up manual. It's a completely electric sliding sunroof just like what you are getting. The control switch probably looks exactly the same too. It's gonna match exactly the same inside, the only difference is what the switch can do.

PatricioEV
Delivery Date: 19 Nov 2011

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:00 am

Lasareath wrote:I wanted the TVS 930 but the installer I'm using said they had problems with it. I found out today that the problem was noise, they said many of their customers complained it made a lot of air noises while driving. And so they decided to stop using it.

I really like the way it looks, oh Well. I don't want to force them to install it and take the risk. These people have installed 400K sunroofs since 1977. So I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.

How much are they charing you to install the TVS 930?

Unosaxum wrote:getting the Webasto TVS 930, installed by a company here in Salt Lake City, UT called Auto Trim Design.
http://atdutah.com
pictures coming next week.

I have to say that after a year of having this sunroof over a year now, it is VERY quiet. That large front piece of glass vents up and pushes almost all the air over the opening. It is the quietest sunroof I've ever had.
2012 SL - Cayenne Red
17" Juke Wheels, 2 tone leather, door molding, tint, sunroof
Schneider EVLink EVSE
7.65kwh Solar Installation

February '17 - 64 mos; 76,000 miles; 12 bars
Battery replaced 5.18.15

Lasareath
Gold Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:06 pm

I posted on Facebook that I'm getting a sunroof installed and one person said that the roof wasn't engineered for it so you'll loose torsional rigidity.

Is this True or BS?

DTB
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 pm

That is likely technically true if you were to measure it on a torsional rigidity measuring device but I seriously doubt it is going to make any difference in the real world. It's not like you are chopping the top off to make a convertible...hmm that would be nice though. Or to put it another way, I don't think there is anything that has been engineered-out of the car that would make it too weak to accommodate a sunroof.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:06 pm

I understand it's not a Manual Pop-up unit, I was exaggerating. But you are correct, There are only a couple of differences; One is that the 5300 has a one touch open feature and Two it will close automatically when you turn the Car's power off. On the 4300 you have to hold down the switch for the duration of opening and closing.

The price difference from my installer was $55.00, For $55.00 I'll get the 5300.

oxo wrote:
Lasareath wrote:Yep. But then it'll match everything it my car. I didn't buy an SV. I got the SL. I don't want the pop-up manual sunroof. I want the one with the most frills. Thanks.

Just for the record it's not a pop up manual. It's a completely electric sliding sunroof just like what you are getting. The control switch probably looks exactly the same too. It's gonna match exactly the same inside, the only difference is what the switch can do.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 am

I really like the Webasto TVS 930, I've been calling around with no Luck, either the places don't install the TVS 930 or they don't install Webasto anymore.

So I just emailed Webasto customer support and they replied with a forward to another employee asking him to send me info on who to use in my area to install a TVS 930. They replied in minutes! Like that very much!

So the search continues, I'll let you all know what happens.

.............4 minutes later.....

Well I just got a call from Joe Hinkle at Webasto and he told me two places near me that should be doing the 930.

So I will Call now.

PatricioEV wrote:
I have to say that after a year of having this sunroof over a year now, it is VERY quiet. That large front piece of glass vents up and pushes almost all the air over the opening. It is the quietest sunroof I've ever had.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Ok Well one place has not done sunroofs for 6 months and the other place just told me there's a recall on the 930 & 935. That they won't install them until Webasto comes out with replacement models.

Return to “Pictures, Videos”