Nissan Leaf Pricing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxxyz

Hi Jessica,

It might be a good idea to post some info up here about the Nissan Leaf pricing. I'm sure everyone's excited about it and wants more information!

Mike

I agree! I'm seeing blog posts all over the internet about Nissan Leaf pricing... where can I find true accurate pricing data?

Is this official enough for you?
http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/

I don't think I have ever seen any ad that was so upfront and complete about the various options and restrictions on them, once you read the footnotes. Bravo, Nissan!

The only thing I don't see there is how much they would reduce the lease price by to compensate for any state rebates you would be eligible for if you purchased. ($5000 in a few states.)

Since that web page does not work on some browsers, and there is no "plain-html" substitute offered:

$32,780 for base (SV) model
apparently an extra $1000 for the SL model

I see no mention of additional dealer delivery, prep, etc. charges.
Are there any?

Of course, one needs to add taxes, registration, license fees, etc., but there might be a Federal IRS deduction allowed for (some of?) the sales tax.

The federal tax credit ($0 to $7500) appears to cover the first 200,000 Leafs sold in the US.
But, might funding run out?

Some states offer additional credits, where CA appears to offer an additional $5000 ("credit"?).

So, to purchase, one apparently needs to "come up with" something like $36,000 or $37,000 (or more, for any other extras, options, etc.??).

Plus, the $2200 charger, plus installation (maybe $2000).
Later, the tax "credit" (50%, max of $2000?) for the charger (install, or the charger plus install)?

So, quite possibly near $41,000 total to buy the Leaf?

But, perhaps all necessary oil changes will be included?
Is there a differential? With oil?

garygid said:
But, perhaps all necessary oil changes will be included?
Gary, when I bought my RAV4-EV they were really generous and offered me 6 free oil changes for it! :D Took me awhile to convince them it had no oil to change.

There is a reduction gearbox on the RAV, but the oil doesn't get changed. I do not know what the Leaf will use.

Based on what I've been able to find out (and I have paid my $99 reservation fee):

I see no mention of additional dealer delivery, prep, etc. charges. Are there any?
Dealers are "encouraged", but not required, to stick to MSRP. I would look for a different dealer if mine tried that.

Of course, one needs to add taxes, registration, license fees, etc., but there might be a Federal IRS deduction allowed for (some of?) the sales tax.
A deduction is possible, but I haven't heard anything about it. The Brits are apparently getting a tax forgiveness deal, which is even better.

The federal tax credit ($0 to $7500) appears to cover the first 200,000 Leafs sold in the US. But, might funding run out?
No, not any time soon, and don't worry about the "$0 to" part. The credit is less for vehicles with batteries smaller than 16 kWh, but the Leaf gets the full $7500. The lawyers made Nissan add the "$0 to" part because this is a non-refundable tax credit. i.e. if your total income tax (including payroll deductions) is less than $7500, you only get to drop your total tax to zero; Uncle Sam isn't going to pay you the difference. Just a tip: If you're not making enough money to owe $7500, you're not likely to get the sort of jumbo auto loan you would need to buy a Leaf. :?

Some states offer additional credits, where CA appears to offer an additional $5000 ("credit"?).
Actually, California has a $5000 rebate, not a credit. The good part is that in most cases you can get the money back sooner with a rebate. The bad part is that the California fund can run out of money, and fairly soon. I suspect, but don't know, that the rebate may be non-taxable on your federal return, but may be taxable if you get caught by AMT.

So, to purchase, one apparently needs to "come up with" something like $36,000 or $37,000 (or more, for any other extras, options, etc.??).
Yup, could be. Which is what makes the lease option so attractive. The trick is that Nissan Leasing buys the car from Nissan, so they get the the $7500 rebate. But then they lease it to you as of their net cost of $25,000 plus taxes. Note that you do pay $2000 up front, but in California you get the rebate (if you hurry). If you had to borrow $30,000 at 6% for five years you would be paying $580/month. Doesn't a $349/month lease start to sound attractive?

Plus, the $2200 charger, plus installation (maybe $2000). Later, the tax "credit" (50%, max of $2000?) for the charger (install, or the charger plus install)?
No, no. The $2200 is an estimated average cost including installation, and the 50% off applies to the whole thing. The unit itself only costs a few hundred dollars. It isn't a "charger", more like a wall-mounted hard-wired "extension cord" containing an electronic switch and enough of a circuit to be able to talk back and forth to the Leaf. The installation costs will vary all over the map depending on how much wiring has to be done in your house to get a dedicated 240V circuit to where you need it.

But, perhaps all necessary oil changes will be included? Is there a differential? With oil?
I certainly hope there's a differential! But let me think ... when was the last time I had a differential oil change?

Back