Clarify:The LEAF uses a cellular-type network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

What does this actually mean? Does it use an existing end user's cell phone service to have the LEAF's network capabilities be activated? Is this the same as "Nissan Connection powered by CARWINGS" ?

Most people already have a cell phone and an existing service with a cellular provider. I sure hope this is not yet another service that a LEAF owner has to subscribe to.

Clarification or any explanation is most appreciated. Thanks!

I have the same question. I know I'm behind the times not having a smart phone, but hopefully this a feature one can optionally use. I don't really see the need to be in constant communication with my car the way I plan to use it.

I would assume it means the car is comming with a built in cell phone transponder, used primarily for data, similar to what GM's OnStar is, and Toyota's Saftey Connect.

from what I've read, the Leaf will have a two way telematics system, where Nissan will be able to upload new charging station data to the built in GPS system to update the map, it will also be used to email the user when the battery is fully charged, and it looks like you will also be able to communicate to the car via a web browser or a smart phone app to tell it when to start/delay start charging, and to prewarm or precool the car (while it's still connected to the charger, so you don't use battery power to do that)

They have not said if it will have a monthly charge or not, maybe they haven't decided yet... JessfromNissan, any coments?

I have just voice service, not data, pictures, text, and internet.
My buddy (also Reserved), does not have a cell phone at all.

So, what, exactly, is required, if anything.

Does one need to add $39 per month just to be able to control charging, or relay data back to Nissan?

What significant functions will one be missing in the many local/home "behind the hill" spots where cell coverage is not available?

Will the Leaf "work" as intended with all cell service providers?

Perhaps in Japan, cell coverage is everywhere that one can drive or park a car?

Yes, more info, Please.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I have the same question. I know I'm behind the times not having a smart phone, but hopefully this a feature one can optionally use. I don't really see the need to be in constant communication with my car the way I plan to use it.

Here's a proposal for JessfromNissan to discuss with Nissan engineering:

The bottomline is: If the LEAF allows an end user to connect their personal "data capable" cell/smartphones to the system, it would surely be a key product feature for extending (or opening up more future possibilities) the LEAF's data management capabilities.

Since the LEAF already has bluetooth capability, it would be very easy to add a small modem widget/application to allow any "data capable" cell/smartphone to behave as a modem connected via bluetooth and allow data connection using the end users personal cellular service. The modem approach is a very broad compatible implementation that allows any cell/smartphone to work.

Alternatively adding a USB interface is the other "alternative" to allow any "data capable" cell/smartphone to behave as a modem and also create future connectivity possibilities for devices.

At the Leaf tour in San Jose, I asked if there was a charge for the cellular connection that does things like let you remotely turn on the air conditioning. The answer was that it would be free the first year and the later charges were not determined yet.

That makes sense, very much like the OnStar system. You can operate without it if you choose. Really, unless you are in an area with a lot of charging stations that you want to track, it is not especially useful. Unless you are one of those folks who wants to turn on the A/C from your iphone while drinking coffee. Oh yeah...that IS me!

Providing USB port support for an optional USB-to-WiFi adapter would be a nice way to connect ... to update map and charger-location services, for example.

I dislike having to pay for yet another subscription service.
Pretty soon, all the fuel savings are gone.

Here's a conspiracy theory for you... Leaf is like the new facebook, tracking what you like by where you go. All that telematics data they could be collecting would be worth a fortune.

Even simpler is to just WiFi enable the Leaf, if you are parked at home, many of us have a WiFi network, so the car would be connected to the "internet" when you are home charging, could update it's telematics system, you could tell it to pre-cool/pre-heat, etc. A cell connection would only be needed it you where not home... many people have broadband already, many have WiFi routers already. This is a no brainer, and no subscription service is required.

The downside to all of this is, at the public charging stations, you might not be able to communicate to the car, or have the car send you the email.. Of course that can be solved by just building a WiFi hot spot into the 480V Fast Charger (it costs enough to absorb that minimal cost anyway), for the public 240V chargers, those would need some kind of WiFi/Internet access as well. I bet that would be less costly to maintain/deploy than a cell type network, and no subscription charges are needed, ever (well, other than someone needing a broadband/DSL connection and an access point at each charger)

Just one WiFi at each location, not at each charger.
And, not even absolutely required there, as data can be collected and sent later.

Also, the charging location probably already has Internet (or other "remote" access), to process credit cards and report in real time how many charging stations are available (and in service).

Even better, it could report the estimated time until a station is available, if somebody had designed the system correctly.

garygid said:
Just one WiFi at each location, not at each charger.
And, not even absolutely required there, as data can be collected and sent later.

Also, the charging location probably already has Internet (or other "remote" access), to process credit cards and report in real time how many charging stations are available (and in service).

Even better, it could report the estimated time until a station is available, if somebody had designed the system correctly.

garygid, they may already have that or something similar planned, as on the "EV Project" Website, when you check a charging location, it tells you the # of chargers at the location and how many are in use/available (also on the Leaf telematic screen I think I saw the same thing on a demo I saw somewhere), of course they could be doing that via the same cellular network. I just think WiFi makes more sense these days, than a cell type network, no subscription fee is needed, the end user pays for the WiFi/Internet connection at their home, and at the public/commercial charging stations, the cost is amortized/bundled into the cost of the power billed to the user...

might have seen it on this demo: http://www.theevproject.com/portal/

Back