Spare Tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the supplied "Emergency Tire Inflation" kit take the place of having a spare?

Does using this inflation kit (the sealing-goo injected into the tire) ruin the tire and tire-pressure sensor?

I presume that the rim can be cleaned up and used again, right?

How much does a new (matching) tire-pressure sensor cost?

Will the Leaf run properly with a missing (or defective) tire-pressure sensor?

Just my guess here: If they're providing an "emergency tire inflation kit," it probably means there's no spare. The Leaf would not be the only car to come without a spare tire these days. I think I'd rather have the car flat-bedded to a garage than use a can of spray that ruins the tire.

And FWIW, that emergency tire inflation kit will be worthless in the event of a catastrophic blow-out or sidewall rupture. It's only good for a slow leak, such as a nail might cause. IMHO it is negligent and irresponsible of car makers to sell cars without a spare tire. Those cheap low-speed "doughnut" spares are bad enough, but leaving off the spare entirely shows a total lack of concern for driver safety in the event of a blow-out in an unsafe place.

Considering Leaf is mainly an urban/sub-urban car, I won't be too concerned.

Afterall, they are giving 3 year free roadside assistance.

Cell phone + limited range + road side assistance = no real need for a spare.

This isn't years ago when people drove across country and there was wide stretches of empty land.

And if you mean unsafe areas in the city...well then it is also probably safer to call for help and lock the doors and sit inside the car. Changing a tire doesn't take too long, but while you are doing it your attention isn't on your surroundings, you are not watching your back and you can't suddenly take off if needed ( and yes you would ruin your tire and maybe even a rim doing that...but if it was really an emergency, well losing a rim is better than losing a life.)

Gavin

I agree with the non spare tire crowd. In this vehicle, to save weight, I vote for it. This car is unlikely to be out in East Nowhere, Pennsylvania for example. Today between cell phones and the probable communication device of the "Carwings" implementation, I am not worried. At my age I am past wrestling with pnuematically installed lug nuts! I just dial AAA. True, if I am in a Mad Max Scenario, not good, but I am unlikely to encounter that set of circumstances on my 35 mile (round trip) commute.

Back