In the rain?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokeyrider

I am going to have to use a outside outlet to recharge.
What is going to happen when it starts to pore down raining?

Will this short-out the electrical charging process?

Also, will it be safe to disconnect or connect the charging cord in the rain?

From what I know (and others will be much MUCH more knowledgeable than me), there is no flow of current in the cord till it is hooked up and "talks" to the car, or car "talks" to it. Same for unplugging...Car charges, turns off charging before unplugging...

mmm, I'm explaining this poorly...perhaps somebody else would do it better :)

Gavin

Short Answers: Gets wet, yes, no.

1. The car end is designed to be "safe". The house end gets wet if not sufficiently "covered". Using "inside" (well covered), and GFI-protected sockets is best.
2. yes, it can shock you, and the voltage and potential current is "always" there at the house end. It might be wise to use a heavy-duty "inside" (or waterproof) switch or breaker to "turn off" the outside socket before pluggng/unplugging in wet conditions.
3. No, never totally safe, and downright dangerous without precautions. Beyond the above, you could even wear "sufficient" rubber gloves to make it safer.

The home "charge station", properly installed outside, apparently OK.

However, using the 120v-to-J1772 plug "adapter cord" that is supplied for "anywhere" (but slow) charging ... which the OP asked about ...
the 120v plug end and "your" socket (and possibly an extension cord) need to be handled with sufficient caution.

Usually, an outside socket can have a "waterproof" flip-up hood installed. When properly installed and used, it will cover both the socket(s) and the inserted plug end of the waterproof (outdoor-rated extension) cord. The connection points can be kept dry (almost always), but, for safety, they should always be handled as if they are "hot" and wet.

Back