J1772(LEAF) vs MagneCharge(EV1)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentr

Hello,

I'm curious to the advantages and disadvantages from these two types of chargers/connectors. The MagneCharge from the EV1 or Rav4EV seems to be very easy to use, from this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62fGYEtZ1gA

So, why do we need this new J1772? Seems a little harder to insert. Noticed that she hit the top part first, then finally was able to insert the plug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvMDj0CzPi8

Oops, this message should go to the general section.

Thanks,
trent

The inductive connector makes a 'transformer' with a coil of wire in the paddle and another in the vehicle-side connector. The transfer isn't 100% efficient so we loose a bit of energy. The waste energy is converted to heat - so the connector must be cooled. Running a pump to cool the connector uses another small bit of energy.

J1772 should be overall smaller (takes less space in the vehicle and paddle storage), simpler (more reliable - less to break), and more efficient.

We'll see if that prediction holds out in 10 years. :D

AndyH said:
The inductive connector makes a 'transformer' with a coil of wire in the paddle and another in the vehicle-side connector. The transfer isn't 100% efficient so we loose a bit of energy. The waste energy is converted to heat - so the connector must be cooled. Running a pump to cool the connector uses another small bit of energy.

J1772 should be overall smaller (takes less space in the vehicle and paddle storage), simpler (more reliable - less to break), and more efficient.

I don't expect to see this and the J1772 should be a major standard.

EVDRIVER said:
AndyH said:

I don't expect to see this and the J1772 should be a major standard.

Sorry - you lost me. You don't expect to see what?

I agree if you think that J1772 should be around a while. ;)

Back