daniel
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: To avoid dealer markups, will Leaf be available at Carmax?

Thu May 27, 2010 7:00 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:One piece of wisdom from my dad has always stuck with me... assume that everything that comes out of a car salesman's mouth is directed to a single goal: Getting you to buy a car today. <...snip...>

When I visited my local Nissan dealer about the Leaf, I got some misinformation, but no attempt to redirect me to another car. He was extremely enthusiastic about the Leaf and promised to sell me one at MSRP with no price-raising gimmicks. I'm sure your generalization is often true. But like most generalizations, it has many exceptions. Some dealers will try hard to redirect you to a car they can sell you today, but others will take the longer view and try to get you the car you want, in the hopes of establishing a long-term relationship with you. Regarding the Leaf, some dealers will try to talk you out of it because they personally dislike the idea of an electric car. Others will see it as the way of the future and will want to be in on the ground floor.
Reserved afternoon of 4/20.
"You can order" email late September, but was out of the country so...
Ordered very early October.
Dashboard says: more of the usual worthless Nissan b.s.
(Not on spreadsheet cuz I can't figure it out.)

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu May 27, 2010 7:07 am

Daniel,
Well stated, I agree completely.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

chijayhawker

Thu May 27, 2010 9:11 am

evnow wrote:Does carmax comeup as a possible dealer for you @ nissan leaf site ? If yes, you can buy thrugh them. Otherwise, you can't.

Is this an official statement from Nissan? I don't think the Leafs will be available only through the dealers listed during the registration process, otherwise they will have limited themselves significantly.

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Thu May 27, 2010 9:33 am

chijayhawker wrote:
evnow wrote:Does carmax comeup as a possible dealer for you @ nissan leaf site ? If yes, you can buy thrugh them. Otherwise, you can't.

Is this an official statement from Nissan? I don't think the Leafs will be available only through the dealers listed during the registration process, otherwise they will have limited themselves significantly.

Why? I put the range out to 100 miles and it looks like every Nissan dealer within 100 miles was listed. Why do you think the list is limited?
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996

First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss

chijayhawker

Thu May 27, 2010 10:32 am

palmermd wrote: Why? I put the range out to 100 miles and it looks like every Nissan dealer within 100 miles was listed. Why do you think the list is limited?

I think it might have been, and may no longer be, but I don't remember seeing another Nissan dealer listed that is in my area during the registration process. However I just might have over looked it as an option. I know I didn't see any Carmax'es listed, and yet you can buy other new Nissans there. Like how I started this discussion...I've enjoyed my auto purchases (and sale) at Carmax and would like to work with them again, if possible.

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Thu May 27, 2010 2:21 pm

chijayhawker wrote:I think it might have been, and may no longer be, but I don't remember seeing another Nissan dealer listed that is in my area during the registration process. However I just might have over looked it as an option. I know I didn't see any Carmax'es listed, and yet you can buy other new Nissans there. Like how I started this discussion...I've enjoyed my auto purchases (and sale) at Carmax and would like to work with them again, if possible.

It may be a good idea to contact Carmax and ask.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

redLEAF
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Thu May 27, 2010 2:26 pm

chijayhawker wrote:
palmermd wrote: Why? I put the range out to 100 miles and it looks like every Nissan dealer within 100 miles was listed. Why do you think the list is limited?

I think it might have been, and may no longer be, but I don't remember seeing another Nissan dealer listed that is in my area during the registration process. However I just might have over looked it as an option. I know I didn't see any Carmax'es listed, and yet you can buy other new Nissans there. Like how I started this discussion...I've enjoyed my auto purchases (and sale) at Carmax and would like to work with them again, if possible.

The only Carmax that sells new Nissan's is outside of Wash DC/Baltimore, in White Marsh, MD 21162 (the main Nissan USA site shows 3 dealers within 10 miles of that zip, first being the Carmax). Not sure if Carmax plans to add more 'new' Nissan locations but that's it for now.
2015 VW e-Golf LE (CPO - 1.2K miles!)
Pacific Blue
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2018?) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

Return to “Ask Nissan”