kennethbokor
Gold Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:35 pm
Delivery Date: 30 May 2018
Location: Caledon, ON Canada
Contact: Twitter

Re: Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
kennethbokor wrote:I'll throw my hat into the ring. Going to order SL Jade Frost at the end of this week. Was told normal delivery should be April or May latest. However, with Nissan Corp Fiscal Year end March 31st, they may accelerate orders to ship as much as possible. Since Jade Frost is not a common colour, that would take longer then the Pearl White, Black or others.

I'll update once our order is in and we get some feedback, but excited to finally be entering the EV realm!


Jade Frost was my choice and it was always listed as a delayed option but looks like we will start seeing our first in Mid March. I simply can't wait that long though.... I am LEAFless and its kinda killing me... :(



Good to see your colour choice too. I'd love to see a real pic of that colour as I've only seen renderings.
---------
New Leaf Owner: Just ordered Feb 24 2018, 2018 Leaf SL in Jade Frost. Expected ETA by May 30 2018.

rcm4453
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:35 pm
Leaf Number: 304133
Location: Wayzata, MN

Re: Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:41 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:My hand is now officially DOWN. I'll take a perfect 2017 SV with Premium, in a color I like, over a 2018.


Are you sure you want to deal with the garbage battery in the 2017 SV?

I've already lost 21% of the original capacity (2016 SV) in two years time here in frozen Minnesota!

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9050
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:21 pm

No, I'm not sure, and a good starting SOH is mandatory. That alone may make it impossible. I'd also be interested in a good low mileage 2015 SV or SL (I'd swap seats with mine) with excellent SOH and Premium.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

kennethbokor
Gold Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:35 pm
Delivery Date: 30 May 2018
Location: Caledon, ON Canada
Contact: Twitter

Re: Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:52 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
kennethbokor wrote:I'll throw my hat into the ring. Going to order SL Jade Frost at the end of this week. Was told normal delivery should be April or May latest. However, with Nissan Corp Fiscal Year end March 31st, they may accelerate orders to ship as much as possible. Since Jade Frost is not a common colour, that would take longer then the Pearl White, Black or others.

I'll update once our order is in and we get some feedback, but excited to finally be entering the EV realm!


Jade Frost was my choice and it was always listed as a delayed option but looks like we will start seeing our first in Mid March. I simply can't wait that long though.... I am LEAFless and its kinda killing me... :(



Great! I'd love to see actual pics of this colour. Mainly seen renderings and a still video from the Japanese Tokyo Auto Show launch last year. The video is not that good of the lighting, but it looks like an amazing colour. Let us know!
---------
New Leaf Owner: Just ordered Feb 24 2018, 2018 Leaf SL in Jade Frost. Expected ETA by May 30 2018.

wesofwaco
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:59 am
Delivery Date: 03 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 304761
Location: Cleburne, TX

Re: Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:04 pm

I signed the paperwork for a 2018 scarlet Red SL with Black leatherette interior. Tech package, protection package, and some mud flaps and kick plates. Order says it should arrive at the dealer sometime in March.

This was in DFW area, and total cost will be ~$41k.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9050
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:38 pm

wesofwaco wrote:I signed the paperwork for a 2018 scarlet Red SL with Black leatherette interior. Tech package, protection package, and some mud flaps and kick plates. Order says it should arrive at the dealer sometime in March.

This was in DFW area, and total cost will be ~$41k.


I wish it were leatherette. It's more or less actual leather.

There is a Nissan dealership in Wisconsin, IIRC, that is offering a free lifetime limited powertrain warranty with all new Nissans. I'm looking into it.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

ILETRIC
Posts: 740
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:36 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011
Location: Marin County

Re: Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:03 pm

I was all in.

Until we went to lease one. Leaf 2 is a dud, folks. Sorry to pour rain on this parade, but having been through Leaf 1, Spark, Kia Soul EV and Bolt, accounting for all that each of these vehicles' pluses and minuses entail, and having driven a cumulative total of about 210k e-miles, Leaf 2 is not doable.

Here is the worst part: you cant's sit and drive in the driver's seat. There is NO PLACE to put your right knee. It is squeezed by the very intruding, and might I say unnecessary center console wall you cannot negotiate. My 5 min drive was a true torture, rubbing against it and some sort of protrusion running along the top of it like a sick cherry on a bad pie.

Second, the height difference between your left and right elbow rests is about 8 inches. It's like the middle of the car designers did not talk to the door designers. It makes you feel contorted. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen in a car. The left is too low and the right is too high, neither normal. You feel unbalanced.

Here is the rest: I am a cruise control freak. Not everyone is, but I live by it. The CC buttons feel like prototypes, they are small, oddly shaped with sharp edges, and feel chintzy. Worse yet, they are poorly angled so that reaching the top "resume" button is unnatural. To make things worse, the "cancel" button, resting between the "set" and "resume," is so tall and convex-shaped, it is in the way of reaching "resume" without tripping on it. Nissan apparently does not think it is necessary to run their designs by ergonomics experts. That would pertain to all counts of this vehicle's interior. I've been telling car manufacturers that the most natural position for the CC buttons is at 3:30-4 o'clock recessed below steering wheel plain. None is listening.

The display with the analog speed dial looks like they're not finished with it, it's just temporary, and we'll get it done maybe next year. I could hardly tell -- or see -- what speed I was traveling. It was unbelievable. Granted, I did not play with possible other configs, it there are any, or illumination. It looks real bad, period. Very bad. The Leaf 1 was much refined as compared to this bungled, perhaps thought as "retro" display,

Rear seats fit 5"4' person. At 5"11' you're hitting the ceiling, like Model S. Rear, in fact the entire car feels cramped, definitely more cramped than Leaf 1. I cannot envision the 5th person in the rear, other than a small child.

The steering is mushy, mushier than Leaf 1. Certainly no comparison the just about anything on the market today. It felt like a 50's Detroit car. Adding to the list the 150 mile range, I realized that Bolt in comparison is MUCH MORE REFINED vehicle, with 80 extra more miles, super-responsive steering, cool display, but overtightened suspension (for my taste).

We needed a car, our Soul lease was up, extended, just waiting for that Leaf 2 like salvation... What a disaster! So we ended up leasing another Bolt. There was nothing else we could do. Now we have a white and arctic blue Bolts so we can tell them apart. Two Chevys. Never in my life, folks... I must report that GM's Mary Barra listened and fixed the Bolt front seats, as I expected she would. No more Bolt seat issues, folks!

Check Leaf 2 out and judge for yourselves.
Last edited by ILETRIC on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------
1st bar lost at 38,700 miles/22 months
2nd bar lost at 45,750 miles/27 months

Traded-in on 10-19-2014 at 56,150 miles
-------------> for Kia Soul EV+ <-------------

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9050
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:26 pm

So the second Bolt is a 2018? I had concerns about the Leaf Too steering wheel buttons just looking at pictures of them. I hope I like them better than you did. As for the steering, I'd suspect under-inflated tires, since it hsn't been mentioned before.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Posts: 7984
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:58 am

ILETRIC wrote:I was all in.

Until we went to lease one. Leaf 2 is a dud, folks. Sorry to pour rain on this parade, but having been through Leaf 1, Spark, Kia Soul EV and Bolt, accounting for all that each of these vehicles' pluses and minuses entail, and having driven a cumulative total of about 210k e-miles, Leaf 2 is not doable.

Here is the worst part: you cant's sit and drive in the driver's seat. There is NO PLACE to put your right knee. It is squeezed by the very intruding, and might I say unnecessary center console wall you cannot negotiate. My 5 min drive was a true torture, rubbing against it and some sort of protrusion running along the top of it like a sick cherry on a bad pie.

For my test drive, I sat in the car for almost an hour and test drove for much of it. I had no issue with it but yours isn't the first time I heard the complaint about the intrusion on the '18 Leaf. Granted, it wasn't a common complaint but you aren't alone.

I had sat in the car a bunch at other '18 Leaf EVents, so my time in the driver's seat is probably about a bit over an hour.
ILETRIC wrote:Second, the height difference between your left and right elbow rests is about 8 inches. It's like the middle of the car designers did not talk to the door designers. It makes you feel contorted. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen in a car. The left is too low and the right is too high, neither normal. You feel unbalanced.

I had no issue with this but I've had and rented many cars where it was "unbalanced".

ILETRIC wrote:Here is the rest: I am a cruise control freak. Not everyone is, but I live by it. The CC buttons feel like prototypes, they are small, oddly shaped with sharp edges, and feel chintzy. Worse yet, they are poorly angled so that reaching the top "resume" button is unnatural. To make things worse, the "cancel" button, resting between the "set" and "resume," is so tall and convex-shaped, it is in the way of reaching "resume" without tripping on it. Nissan apparently does not think it is necessary to run their designs by ergonomics experts.

I had no issue with this even those I used ProPilot Assist. FWIW, it looks like Nissan has been adopted this steering wheel and CC design. 2017 Rogue's steering wheel and CC seems very much like '18 Leaf: http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/ ... ogue-sl-21. Rogue US sales for 2017 have done pretty well: http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/ ... -u-s-sales, up 22.3%. Nissan sold 403K Rogue in the US last year vs. 11K Leafs.

If this CC design is a big minus/issue, it sure doesn't seem reflected in Rogue sales.

Nissan has been all over the place in terms of CC button control design depending on the year range. It's quite different from my former 02 Maxima to my former 04 350Z to my mom's 07 Altima Hybrid. At least Leaf's isn't that far off from Altima.
ILETRIC wrote:I've been telling car manufacturers that the most natural position for the CC buttons is at 4:30-5 o'clock recessed below steering wheel plain. None is listening.

Thru what means have you been telling them? CC design doesn't seem to be a very often discussed topic nor complaint on ANY car forum I've been on.. So, even if you went thru the proper channels, it's likely to not be a top complaint or one of the top sources of owner suggestions for improvement.

Arguably, I like Toyota's CC design best that's been common from around model year 1992 until now. It was found on '92 to '96 Camry (but NOT previous that ended w/model year 1991) and probably for a few generations more (+ on numerous others Toyotas and Lexuses). Gen 2 Prius (04 to 09 model year) thru Gen 4 (2016 to current) still seem to use it but for some cars (e.g. '18 Camry), they've shifted away from it.

Your Bolt and Spark EV has the CC buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. Seems common on GM cars, probably for historical reasons. GM cars in the past had the CC buttons, switches, etc. crammed onto the turn signal stalk.
ILETRIC wrote:The display with the analog speed dial looks like they're not finished with it, it's just temporary, and we'll get it done maybe next year. I could hardly tell -- or see -- what speed I was traveling. It was unbelievable.

It is weird that they went analog but I already posted Nissan's claimed reason for going that way in another thread.

I also wasn't used to it since both my Leaf and Prius have digital speedos right in front of the driver and I currently have no cars w/dials. But, the cars you listed ALSO have digital speedos, so this is probably why you weren't used to it either.

You can switch the left display to show a digital speedo. However, I don't think you can have that up while using ProPilot Assist.
ILETRIC wrote:Granted, I did not play with possible other configs, it there are any, or illumination. It looks real bad, period. Very bad. The Leaf 1 was much refined as compared to this bungled, perhaps thought as "retro" display,

I didn't find the rest of the display on the left LCD "unfinished". Seemed totally finished to me. It has a bit of a learning curve since it's nothing like Leaf's b&w display and nothing like previous Nissans I've had.

I could see some non-tech savvy people being confused by it as I'm shocked and annoyed at how little some people know/are willing to learn about how the simple small b&w display in '11 to '17 Leaf now and other Nissans w/similar systems. (e.g. they don't even know how to advance thru screens, that some can be reset along w/how)

What's in '18 Leaf left LCD and the UI is probably an order of magnitude more complex.
ILETRIC wrote:Check Leaf 2 out and judge for yourselves.

I have.

I'll have to sit in an '18 vs. '17 Bolt to compare the front seats sometime. I unfortunately have insufficient seat time in either to really compare but I had no issue with either seat during my short test drives.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13069
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:04 pm

cwerdna wrote:
ILETRIC wrote:I was all in.

Until we went to lease one. Leaf 2 is a dud, folks. Sorry to pour rain on this parade, but having been through Leaf 1, Spark, Kia Soul EV and Bolt, accounting for all that each of these vehicles' pluses and minuses entail, and having driven a cumulative total of about 210k e-miles, Leaf 2 is not doable.

Here is the worst part: you cant's sit and drive in the driver's seat. There is NO PLACE to put your right knee. It is squeezed by the very intruding, and might I say unnecessary center console wall you cannot negotiate. My 5 min drive was a true torture, rubbing against it and some sort of protrusion running along the top of it like a sick cherry on a bad pie.

For my test drive, I sat in the car for almost an hour and test drove for much of it. I had no issue with it but yours isn't the first time I heard the complaint about the intrusion on the '18 Leaf. Granted, it wasn't a common complaint but you aren't alone.

I had sat in the car a bunch at other '18 Leaf EVents, so my time in the driver's seat is probably about a bit over an hour.
ILETRIC wrote:Second, the height difference between your left and right elbow rests is about 8 inches. It's like the middle of the car designers did not talk to the door designers. It makes you feel contorted. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen in a car. The left is too low and the right is too high, neither normal. You feel unbalanced.

I had no issue with this but I've had and rented many cars where it was "unbalanced".

ILETRIC wrote:Here is the rest: I am a cruise control freak. Not everyone is, but I live by it. The CC buttons feel like prototypes, they are small, oddly shaped with sharp edges, and feel chintzy. Worse yet, they are poorly angled so that reaching the top "resume" button is unnatural. To make things worse, the "cancel" button, resting between the "set" and "resume," is so tall and convex-shaped, it is in the way of reaching "resume" without tripping on it. Nissan apparently does not think it is necessary to run their designs by ergonomics experts.

I had no issue with this even those I used ProPilot Assist. FWIW, it looks like Nissan has been adopted this steering wheel and CC design. 2017 Rogue's steering wheel and CC seems very much like '18 Leaf: http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/ ... ogue-sl-21. Rogue US sales for 2017 have done pretty well: http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/ ... -u-s-sales, up 22.3%. Nissan sold 403K Rogue in the US last year vs. 11K Leafs.

If this CC design is a big minus/issue, it sure doesn't seem reflected in Rogue sales.

Nissan has been all over the place in terms of CC button control design depending on the year range. It's quite different from my former 02 Maxima to my former 04 350Z to my mom's 07 Altima Hybrid. At least Leaf's isn't that far off from Altima.
ILETRIC wrote:I've been telling car manufacturers that the most natural position for the CC buttons is at 4:30-5 o'clock recessed below steering wheel plain. None is listening.

Thru what means have you been telling them? CC design doesn't seem to be a very often discussed topic nor complaint on ANY car forum I've been on.. So, even if you went thru the proper channels, it's likely to not be a top complaint or one of the top sources of owner suggestions for improvement.

Arguably, I like Toyota's CC design best that's been common from around model year 1992 until now. It was found on '92 to '96 Camry (but NOT previous that ended w/model year 1991) and probably for a few generations more (+ on numerous others Toyotas and Lexuses). Gen 2 Prius (04 to 09 model year) thru Gen 4 (2016 to current) still seem to use it but for some cars (e.g. '18 Camry), they've shifted away from it.

Your Bolt and Spark EV has the CC buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. Seems common on GM cars, probably for historical reasons. GM cars in the past had the CC buttons, switches, etc. crammed onto the turn signal stalk.
ILETRIC wrote:The display with the analog speed dial looks like they're not finished with it, it's just temporary, and we'll get it done maybe next year. I could hardly tell -- or see -- what speed I was traveling. It was unbelievable.

It is weird that they went analog but I already posted Nissan's claimed reason for going that way in another thread.

I also wasn't used to it since both my Leaf and Prius have digital speedos right in front of the driver and I currently have no cars w/dials. But, the cars you listed ALSO have digital speedos, so this is probably why you weren't used to it either.

You can switch the left display to show a digital speedo. However, I don't think you can have that up while using ProPilot Assist.
ILETRIC wrote:Granted, I did not play with possible other configs, it there are any, or illumination. It looks real bad, period. Very bad. The Leaf 1 was much refined as compared to this bungled, perhaps thought as "retro" display,

I didn't find the rest of the display on the left LCD "unfinished". Seemed totally finished to me. It has a bit of a learning curve since it's nothing like Leaf's b&w display and nothing like previous Nissans I've had.

I could see some non-tech savvy people being confused by it as I'm shocked and annoyed at how little some people know/are willing to learn about how the simple small b&w display in '11 to '17 Leaf now and other Nissans w/similar systems. (e.g. they don't even know how to advance thru screens, that some can be reset along w/how)

What's in '18 Leaf left LCD and the UI is probably an order of magnitude more complex.
ILETRIC wrote:Check Leaf 2 out and judge for yourselves.

I have.

I'll have to sit in an '18 vs. '17 Bolt to compare the front seats sometime. I unfortunately have insufficient seat time in either to really compare but I had no issue with either seat during my short test drives.


He already got a Bolt so his comments are only there to justify his decision. I can see the center bridge being an issue to some but I am nowhere near that tall for it to be an issue with me.

As far as CC? Its like dozens of other cars I have used. Its all about taking 5 mins to get used to it and then its a nothing thing.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”