DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11579
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: New Forum format vs. Old Forum format

Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:17 am

despite saying "remember me" i am constantly asked to log in randomly. for instance; I receive 4 email notifications of a reply, click on link, 2 open fine, 2 ask me to log in. of the two I log into, half will take me to the link I clicked on in the email, the other half takes me to the general forum list.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30; 11311 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 102ish% kwh 28.1
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
jhm614
Forum Supporter
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: New Forum format vs. Old Forum format

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:31 am

The performance issues seem to be back with a vengeance today.
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 101,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

lion
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:23 pm
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Re: New Forum format vs. Old Forum format

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:54 am

yeap, performance is extremely bad, and HTML is freaking out as well (such as this text box growing in height as I type). Other sites such as myrav4ev.com seem to be having issues as well.

I don't think the admins understand that this is going to cost them. Be it by someone setting up their own competing site (tempted to do it myself, since I already run many forums), or lost ad revenue because of the slow traffic.

As for mobile support, they could have done that with Tapatalk, and the upgrade hasn't given us much new otherwise (you still have to manually insert URLs into the URL bbcode, etc).

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10510
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: Foothills of Granada Hills, CA
Contact: Website

Re: New Forum format vs. Old Forum format

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:13 pm

Well, the interesting thing is that I have been using the same signature for years and it was never an issue before. Now it suddenly is and I had to heavily edit it to get the forum robot to be happy. I don't really care as I can certainly do that and did; I'm more curious why it seems to have changed in this new software version... More importantly, it seems like there are a LOT of steps backwards for few steps forward in this new software...

And it is painfully slow today; the worst I have ever seen it...

mwalsh wrote:I sure hope you weren't on the list of those chastising me for wanting a bigger SIG, so I could list all my mods.
Last edited by TomT on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2017 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

lion
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:23 pm
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Re: New Forum format vs. Old Forum format

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:19 pm

TomT wrote:Well, the interesting thing is that I have been using the same signature for years and it was never an issue before. Now it suddenly is and I had to heavily edit it to get the forum robot to be happy. I don't really care as I can certainly do that and did; I'm more curious why it seems to have changed in this new software version... It seems like there are a LOT of steps backwards for few steps forward...

And it is painfully slow today; the worst I have ever seen it...

mwalsh wrote:I sure hope you weren't on the list of those chastising me for wanting a bigger SIG, so I could list all my mods.

I'm pretty sure this limitation has been there for at least a year or 2, as I remember having this same issue once I started linking some of my mods back then.

There are better ways of handling this (automotive forums usually have a 'garage'), and while I don't agree with the colors/large fonts/many lines in the sigs, in the end, people can disable the display of signatures if it really does bother them, and the mod info has been very useful to many, including myself.

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9409
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: New Forum format vs. Old Forum format

Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:28 pm

mwalsh wrote:BTW, I'm kinda tired of the page bouncing around while stuff finishes loading. The toolbar that includes the other forums link being the absolute worst of it on my iPad (that toolbar loads a bit faster on my PC but it still bounces the page around some).



The toolbar containing the links to the other forums no longer loads. Wether that's by design, or if it's just taking so damn long to load that it never does is somewhat besides the point - performance has gone to hell again. JUST MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY ALREADY!
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 68,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

GRA
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: New Forum format vs. Old Forum format

Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:49 pm

lion wrote:
TomT wrote:Well, the interesting thing is that I have been using the same signature for years and it was never an issue before. Now it suddenly is and I had to heavily edit it to get the forum robot to be happy. I don't really care as I can certainly do that and did; I'm more curious why it seems to have changed in this new software version... It seems like there are a LOT of steps backwards for few steps forward...

And it is painfully slow today; the worst I have ever seen it...

mwalsh wrote:I sure hope you weren't on the list of those chastising me for wanting a bigger SIG, so I could list all my mods.

I'm pretty sure this limitation has been there for at least a year or 2, as I remember having this same issue once I started linking some of my mods back then.

There are better ways of handling this (automotive forums usually have a 'garage'), and while I don't agree with the colors/large fonts/many lines in the sigs, in the end, people can disable the display of signatures if it really does bother them, and the mod info has been very useful to many, including myself.
The 255 limit has been there awhile (feel free to count the length of my sig - It took a lot of re-writing to get it to fit :( ), and counts special characters such as color, font size, bold etc. I don't know why Tom's sig, if unchanged, is suddenly too long.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 6628
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: New Forum format vs. Old Forum format

Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:55 pm

jhm614 wrote:The performance issues seem to be back with a vengeance today.

Ditto.
DaveinOlyWA wrote:despite saying "remember me" i am constantly asked to log in randomly

Yep. I get logged out quite frequently (as in, I have to login again). I think I hit it again today. It's getting very annoying.

This happened much more rarely w/the old forum.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Valdemar
Posts: 2362
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: New Forum format vs. Old Forum format

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:52 pm

I had to login constantly when using the old forum from my stock Android browser. The new site is much better, in fact I didn't have to re-login since the update. Never had any logout issues in the desktop/Firefox, the new format is fine too.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
60.5AHr, SOH 94%, 105k miles
9kW Solar

BrockWI
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 am
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875
Location: Green Bay, WI.
Contact: Website

Re: New Forum format vs. Old Forum format

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:12 am

This new software is painfully slow. I used to hit the site twice a day and catch up. Now when I try it just sits there trying to load, sometimes I get a time out. Lately I just give up and don't bother. Its a shame, there is a LOT of good information here, but I think anyone new will just skip it because of the speed. Pretty soon I will give up checking as often as I do as well.
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - 8 L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 170k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”