GRA

Re: New Forum Layout - where things have moved and all your complaints in one spot

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm seeing some posts have extra spaces inserted between words. Looks normal while writing or editing it, but when posted they're spaced out. See my post here, http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 61#p434261
starting "At least the Hydrogen fueling standard. . . ." for an example.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

JimSouCal

Re: New Forum Layout - where things have moved and all your complaints in one spot

Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:37 pm

garsh wrote:...
I've yet to try it on a phone
I'm on an iPhone 6 replying. I like that the top bar now scrolls away. I believe this is an added improvement. Thanks.

davewill

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:04 am

Found a small bug. I tried to delete a post from the edit page by checking the "Delete Post" checkbox and got the error "You can't delete posts in this forum" or something close to that. I was able to use the trash can icon when viewing the post to delete it.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

wxxyz

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:04 pm

GRA wrote:I'm seeing some posts have extra spaces inserted between words. Looks normal while writing or editing it, but when posted they're spaced out. See my post here, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14149&p=434261#p434261
starting "At least the Hydrogen fueling standard. . . ." for an example.

This is fixed - the text was set to 'justify' which means it would stretch all lines (except the last in a paragraph) to be the full width. The space between all words in the lines would expand to be equidistant and large enough to reach the right border of the paragraph.

wxxyz

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:37 pm

drees wrote:Another annoyance: The Notifications drop-down does not show you which notifications are still active and which are not.

This makes deciding which threads you have already visited impossible to determine.

Looking at the CSS it appears that the <li> element that wraps each notification has a bg2 class which does not have a difference in style (currently only background-color: #fff) from the <li> element which does not have the style (which is also a white background).

I've added an [already viewed] prefix to notifications that you've clicked and viewed, hopefully that visually clears up which ones are new and which ones are viewed.

wxxyz

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:48 pm

mbender wrote:FWIW, after 100s of posts and replies in the past couple of years, I've all but stopped coming here and participating because of the changes. It's possible that I was tiring and ready to stop anyway and the changes were just what tipped the scales, but I can't help but wonder how many were lost solely because of the new format. Perhaps with a new generation and increasing number of new LEAFers, it won't make a difference, and perhaps improvements will be made (as some already have, and I still check back occasionally), but I still feel as though a once-great resource has been damaged and diminished.

I hope I'm ultimately wrong though, and that 'MNL' recreates itself and flourishes in the long run. And thanks in any case to the administrators and all the members who I learned from and interacted with.

Ciao (for now)

Can you be more specific? What changes are the ones that have caused you to stop coming here?

wxxyz

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:50 pm

palmermd wrote:I fully agree. The new layout is extremely unfriendly. Too much wasted space and not enough data to read. Every time I go back to the Rav4ev site I realize just how bad this site is now. Its hard to read and navigate and it seems like a waste of time trying to get information, so my visits here since the change have been very limited. I suspect you can look at your traffic logs and you'll note that I'm probably not the only one and the number of visits is probably way down. Please consider making some of the changes suggested in the hundreds of posts above so that this site will be a friendly place to get information again.

Can you be more specific? Where is there wasted space?

We're slow, but we are making changes that have been suggested in the posts in this thread.... which is why we want you to explain in more detail, thanks!

wxxyz

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:55 pm

epirali wrote:
kubel wrote:My biggest complaint is that the top bar loads at the very end, so when I click on the menu button on the upper left, the top bar loads a split second before, and then I actually click on the home link which takes me to the myelectriccarforums portal page.

Seconded! +1

Obviously I have the learning curve of an amoeba as I keep doing it almost every time! :)

This is fixed now, no more jumping when the toolbar loads!
p.s. the reason it loads last is because it's low importance - we wanted the forum content to load first

wxxyz

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:59 pm

GRA wrote:Oh, on the poster info box, it's still much too wide - shrink its width by at least 20-25%. You know, back to the way it used to be ;)

Done! I agree, thanks for recommending!

wxxyz

Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:00 pm

GRA wrote:
evnow wrote:
wxxyz wrote:What about this one isn't readable? Is it the too-subtle separations or is it because everything is a grey-tone, or are you just partial to bright blue :) or something else?

The one issue I've is - the last post's time and poster's name is not visible on the phone.

Not sure if this is for everyone ...

Depending on which computer I'm reading it on, the quote separations may or may not have enough contrast. It's fine on a chromebook, poor on at least one desktop I use. I really don't care for the 'everything gray' look - although it's a lot more readable than it was initially, it's still pretty blah looking. This is probably an artifact of all the wasted white space.

Contrast between quotes and content has been increased

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”