wxxyz

Re: New Forum Layout - where things have moved and all your complaints in one spot

Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:09 pm

evnow wrote:
wxxyz wrote:What about this one isn't readable? Is it the too-subtle separations or is it because everything is a grey-tone, or are you just partial to bright blue :) or something else?

The one issue I've is - the last post's time and poster's name is not visible on the phone.

Not sure if this is for everyone ...

Fixed - last post and author is now visible on mobile.

GRA

Re: New Forum Layout - where things have moved and all your complaints in one spot

Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:48 pm

wxxyz wrote:
GRA wrote:I'm seeing some posts have extra spaces inserted between words. Looks normal while writing or editing it, but when posted they're spaced out. See my post here, http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 61#p434261
starting "At least the Hydrogen fueling standard. . . ." for an example.

This is fixed - the text was set to 'justify' which means it would stretch all lines (except the last in a paragraph) to be the full width. The space between all words in the lines would expand to be equidistant and large enough to reach the right border of the paragraph.

Thanks, I thought it looked like justification, but it seemed extreme. Thanks for the other changes as well.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:37 pm

wxxyz wrote:
drees wrote:Another annoyance: The Notifications drop-down does not show you which notifications are still active and which are not.

This makes deciding which threads you have already visited impossible to determine.

Looking at the CSS it appears that the <li> element that wraps each notification has a bg2 class which does not have a difference in style (currently only background-color: #fff) from the <li> element which does not have the style (which is also a white background).

I've added an [already viewed] prefix to notifications that you've clicked and viewed, hopefully that visually clears up which ones are new and which ones are viewed.

Yes, very helpful.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:37 pm

GRA wrote:
wxxyz wrote:
drees wrote:Another annoyance: The Notifications drop-down does not show you which notifications are still active and which are not.

This makes deciding which threads you have already visited impossible to determine.

Looking at the CSS it appears that the <li> element that wraps each notification has a bg2 class which does not have a difference in style (currently only background-color: #fff) from the <li> element which does not have the style (which is also a white background).

I've added an [already viewed] prefix to notifications that you've clicked and viewed, hopefully that visually clears up which ones are new and which ones are viewed.

Yes, very helpful.

Better than previously, but I'd rather see the unread ones stand out t!han otherwise. Something like [New!] in a color that brings attention and doesn't disrupt the overall scheme.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
60.5AHr, SOH 94%, 105k miles
9kW Solar

drees

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:23 am

Valdemar wrote:Better than previously, but I'd rather see the unread ones stand out t!han otherwise. Something like [New!] in a color that brings attention and doesn't disrupt the overall scheme.

Yeah, something like [UNREAD] on the unread notifications would work. But I would still prefer some sort of color change to indicate a notification that is still active. Or even better - if a notification is no longer relevant, shouldn't it disappear from the list?

wxxyz wrote:Contrast between quotes and content has been increased

This is much more readable now.

wxxyz wrote:This is fixed now, no more jumping when the toolbar loads!

The biggest problem I have with the toolbar, is that it really should be hideable so it doesn't always take up space at the top of the forum. I very, very rarely visit any of the other forums. And if I do, I just use Google to find it if I don't remember the URL.

The amount of vertical space used by ads (often redundant / duplicate ads) at the top combined with the amount of space each thread takes up (like announcements) means that with casual browsing, it takes at least one full page-down of scrolling to find content.

This simple CSS tweak helps vertical spacing a lot:

Code: Select all

/* Minimize padding of rows */
ul.topiclist li.row dl {
    padding: 10px 0;
}

Another big issue that's still present:

On mobile devices the ads keep the forum from using the full width of the page. This requires a lot of double-taps to then refocus.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:45 am

wxxyz wrote:Contrast between quotes and content has been increased
Huge improvement, thanks! Also appreciate the shrinking of the user ID section on the left.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:22 pm

I really appreciate the fix that keeps the text from jumping as the tool bar loads. I can click on "first unread post" without waiting for the took bar to load completely.

Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:13 am

Thanks for fixing the 'page jump' as the site loads. It was like playing a particularly boring, yet annoying, video game trying to get logged in.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

GRA

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Not so much a complaint as a suggestion: I consider separating Environmental Issues and Business/Economy/Politics to be a mistake, as they are almost invariably intertwined. Aside from the occasional topic which may be all one or all the other, I normally find myself going back and forth trying to decide which of the two sub-forums a topic most belongs in, when in reality it belongs in both - as an example, see
MIT study finds carbon prices more cost-effective than fuel economy regs at reducing CO2 emissions; fuel economy regs more efficient at reducing fuel use

I think it would make sense to combine the two sub-forums into a single Environment/Business/Economy/Politics one.

Foschas
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 320277

Tue May 31, 2016 3:32 pm

"Quick links" link is missing, doesn't display on iPhone 6s+ when in portrait mode. You can only see the link in landscape.

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”