Car will not charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndreaPalframan

https://youtu.be/yET5x9O5MAw

Hi, check out the above video to see what is happening. I can't charge my (very flat) 2012 Leaf.
Tried using the 110 charger directly to the outlet in 3 different locations, now trying to plug into a level 1 charger and here's the order of malfunction:

1. plug in EV cable
2. light furthest from steering wheel illuminates and flashes 3x before burning steadily; car beeps
3. sound of power shutting down at the power box/charger end precedes shut-down of light & charging function on the Leaf.

Any ideas? We've reset the charging timer and removed, charged, and replaced a clean 12 volt battery.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Are you sure the latch on the evse plug handle is clicking into place all the way?

If it gets stuck cocked up a bit because of dirt in the plug latch it can cause the symptoms you're describing.

The fact that you got a one beep and then two beeps shows that the car was ready and able to take a charge.

What we don't know is what are you plugging into the car? The original 120 volt? Home or outside 240 volt charger? Looks like there is something wrong with the charging cable..

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I have plugged this in under 5 different scenarios and found the same issues:
• twice, using my own charger, to two different 110v wall plugs
• twice into two different Sun Country Level 1 chargers
• once, into a Level 1 charger, not sure what make

So: don't think it's the cord because I've used 4 different cords and had the same result.

Check out this video, the beep codes sounds exactly like your car:

https://youtu.be/5R4dGg8nIUs

When you plug in the Nissan EVSE (charger), is there a fault light shown?

Don't know if you have a CHADEMO connector for DCQC, but if you do then try charging using that.

Hello everyone, but has anyone concluded a final solution to the reported matter. I own a 2012 Leaf, and I too am experiencing the same reported matter as displayed in the video sample.

After I plug in my home 120v charger device into the Leaf, the blue lights do illuminate for a few seconds, and then immediately shuts off.

Any help/troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you....

Based on the video, it's likely that there's a failed part on the charger circuit board. As such, it would be difficult to repair by yourself, other than to do what the mechanic did and replace the entire charger unit - expensive.

This post explains how a diode can be added to the charge port on a 2011 LEAF, which should resolve the issue and allow you to charge again:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=24696

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you could likely have an independent mechanic take care of it for you.

Experienced the exact same issue with my 72k km 2012 Leaf the last few days. The car is currently at the dealership. Even though there were codes, they were looking at "corrosion" in the cables (not covered) and/or the charging unit. My car is covered with an extended warranty from Nissan. Provided this Thread and youtube videos to the repair technician. Will keep you posted on the progress.

Dealer still has the car. It seems the DC/DC Converter needs to be replaced. Even though I have an extended warranty from Nissan, the dealer wants to charge me for numerous hours of investigation leading to the exact cause of the issue. He says that only the replacement fee and the part is covered by Nissan. Is this right? BTW, this is not just 1 or 2 hours of labour I am beeing charged here...

nwfrog said:
Dealer still has the car. It seems the DC/DC Converter needs to be replaced. Even though I have an extended warranty from Nissan, the dealer wants to charge me for numerous hours of investigation leading to the exact cause of the issue. He says that only the replacement fee and the part is covered by Nissan. Is this right? BTW, this is not just 1 or 2 hours of labour I am beeing charged here...
Sounds like a rip-off to me. As far as you are concerned they could have replaced everything in the engine compartment to fix it.

nwfrog said:
Tell him to pound sand.

nwfrog said:
And the stealership name is?

Status update. It is now established that the OBC needs replacement. The part is BO (guess too many replacements lately?). The Dealership, which I will not name (look for canadian postal code G1X 3X4) had to finally admit that that there was some type of compensation for diagnosis: 1h by the plan. They ended up spending 7.5 hours of analysis(guess they thaught it was a free lunch or some type of training exercise on my behalf). Got a loaner for the time being, paid by nissan (not an EV :cry: ). I dont know how many customers they tried to defraud like this. This is my last time at this place.

I bet the problem with the OBC is the diode that others with 2011/2012 LEAFs have experienced. Did they even watch the YouTube video on that issue, or read the fix for installing an inline diode at the charger port?

Status update: Car is still at the dealership. The part, 296A0-3NA8A is on backorder in Canada. Nissan Canada said they have no ETA. Dealership mentioned the part is on order and will be in Montreal on july 18th (from where???). I have lost some confidence on both Nissan and the dealership.

To Alozzy: Both links were provided directly to the technician the next day the dealership had the car.

Provided the dealership with links on ebay from a US Nissan Dealership on the west coast which seemed to have 2 units for sale. Funny thing, I happen to know that dealership as I lived in that town for several years.

Will keep you posted with any development.

Status Update: Car was finally fixed on monday this week as it seems the part arrived last friday. Dealer charged diagnosis fee that finally reflected about 3 hours of work. The Nissan extended warranty does not cover those charges as explained by Nissan Canada themselves.

I am infuriated at both the dealer and Nissan Canada. in one case to have considered my car some type of laboratory on which experiments were done at my charge, secondly inventory problems, and third to provide a not so good extended warranty, especially for an electric car.

I am still convinced at driving electric cars, but I am not so sure I want to go Nissan next with this past experience. Also, when we talk major electric car parts, one word was added to my vocabulary : the charger (other parts being motor and battery).

Thanks all for the support!

Back