kentklineman2014
Delivery Date: 25 May 2017

Right to charge in public lots

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Does anyone know about charging rights in office buildings? To wit: I work in a building that has several different businesses. One of them is Kaiser, and there are two spots reserved for physicians that has the only two charging plugs in the parking lot we all use and have parking passes for. Can they deny use to other EV owners and just reserve it for physicians? That seems like it would be illegal. And how would we propose to the property managers that the parking lots plugs should be accessible to other users of the building and the lot? I'm not talking about anyone that comes into the parking lot, but we daily users of the lot should have access to the only two L1 chargers available.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Right to charge in public lots

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:47 pm

So-called "public parking lots" are generally privately owned. In addition, there is no established legal "right to charge." It's unfortunate, but you are not going to get anywhere assuming that there is such a right.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:55 am

kentklineman2014 wrote:Does anyone know about charging rights in office buildings? To wit: I work in a building that has several different businesses. One of them is Kaiser, and there are two spots reserved for physicians that has the only two charging plugs in the parking lot we all use and have parking passes for. Can they deny use to other EV owners and just reserve it for physicians? That seems like it would be illegal. And how would we propose to the property managers that the parking lots plugs should be accessible to other users of the building and the lot? I'm not talking about anyone that comes into the parking lot, but we daily users of the lot should have access to the only two L1 chargers available.

When you say "charging plugs" do you mean EVSE, or just plain electrical outlets?
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:02 am

kentklineman2014 wrote:Does anyone know about charging rights in office buildings? To wit: I work in a building that has several different businesses. One of them is Kaiser, and there are two spots reserved for physicians that has the only two charging plugs in the parking lot we all use and have parking passes for. Can they deny use to other EV owners and just reserve it for physicians? That seems like it would be illegal. And how would we propose to the property managers that the parking lots plugs should be accessible to other users of the building and the lot? I'm not talking about anyone that comes into the parking lot, but we daily users of the lot should have access to the only two L1 chargers available.

You have to get permission to charge from the entity that pays the electric bill, and the entity that controls the parking area. Typically, they are both the same entity, usually building management. It may not make sense that the only two EV spaces are reserved for Doctors, unless you are talking about outlets and not actual charging stations, but management has the right to do as they choose with parking, as long as they comply with ADA, OSHA, and any other regulatory bodies that have jurisdiction over them.

There is no 'right to charge' unless signs are posted allowing it, charging stations are installed with spaces marked as such, or written permission is provided to permit it. Many parking facilities do not allow use of any outlets for safety and liability reasons. All you can do is ask the proper people, and hope they will accommodate your needs.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:43 am

EASY WAY...... Empty space? Park in the space and Plug the charger cable into your electric car. Then leave your info on the windshield.

If they call you, say I'm sorry and get the specific rules of the charging station then. They can't burn you at the stake as a trespasser, as you work there, and have an electric car that uses that charging station.

davewill

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:56 am

Probably the docs had the pull to request that they be installed in the doctor's parking area. Even possible that they paid for them, but probably not. If it were me, I wouldn't contact building management directly, I would go through my own company's hierarchy.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

mjblazin
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 405999

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:47 am

How would you park in the MD spot without getting a ticket or just towed creating a big bill? That is larger issue, even if someone said you could use the charger.
2013 SL Blue Ocean
Bought used, March 2015 12,764 miles
11/12 bars. 235 gids 18.2 kWh
Appears fully loaded
Condo home, Using public charge except in emergency
Dallas, TX downtown, shaded non-temp controlled garage

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Judging by the variety of replies, it seems there's still insufficient info. A picture saves a thousand questions.
[2013 leaf traded for 2016 leaf S30:
build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
1 May 2017 - 7300 miles & 363 GIDs
6 Sep 2017 - 13k miles & 359 GIDs
26 Oct 2017 - 15.5k miles & 344 GIDs]

DNAinaGoodWay
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 23156

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Become a doctor and get a job at Kaiser. Problem solved.

Seriously, L1? You’d think doctors would put in HPWCs.
'12 SL last reading @ 2 yr, 22k, 260 GIDs, 62.35 Ahr

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14, 292 GIDs, 64.38 Ahr when new
@ 36 months, 34k, 270 GID, 57.49 Ahr

'17 Bolt LT

6.72 kW Array

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:38 pm

I'm guessing they are simply 120v outlets, meant for an engine block heater. At a hospital I worked at all the Dr's spots near the building had them. They are also frequently at Dr's spots at clinics. Hospitals tend to have security patrol Dr's lots, clinics probably not so much, well I guess unless it's in a city or parking is in short supply.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”