Is it possible to upgrade 2012 battery system to used 2017 system?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhamra

Sorry if this has been addressed in an earlier post somewhere. I was wondering if anyone has heard of installing a later model battery system into a 2012?

Thanks.

Nissan provides an adapter kit so the current version of the 24kwh battery can be installed in the 2012 Leaf. This requires a dealer, since the battery has to be paired with the car. There is another method, discussed in a separate thread, where the cells from a newer battery are transplanted into the older housing using the original BMS from the pack so that dealer intervention is not required. This is a tedious, time consuming, and potentially dangerous task.

Nissan does not currently provide an upgrade path to install the newer and larger battery packs into the 2011 to 2015 model year cars.

Although it would be nice to install a larger battery into a 2012 Leaf, There may be planned obsolescence at work here. However, I would without hesitation, install another 24kwh battery in a 2012. For the price of the battery, you have a car, (an electric car) that you can use for the next 10 years..... Oil free consumption... Depreciation free.. I kind of see this like replacing the soles on a good pair of shoes.... Yes, you could just get a new pair, but new soles would keep you going with the product that has served you so well...

Heck I bet that 15-20 years from now an old Leaf will fetch a nice price. They are low volume, historically important and still cool (electric car when the others run on gas). I really think that when EVs start taking off, and people get the fever to buy EVs, all of them will get top dollar for even old ones...

powersurge said:
Heck I bet that 15-20 years from now an old Leaf will fetch a nice price. They are low volume, historically important and still cool (electric car when the others run on gas). I really think that when EVs start taking off, and people get the fever to buy EVs, all of them will get top dollar for even old ones...

I think this is a real possibility...and one that might make me keep my Leaf (instead of trading it in) when I upgrade to a longer-range BEV...especially if they offer me as little as my son just got for my old Mini Cooper ($1000)!

powersurge said:

I like your optimism. In 10 years, most everyone will be driving EVs with 400+ mile range. Driving a 60-mile range Leaf will be a PITA, much like having a cell phone you have to charge every hour.

But yes, they are neat niche cars. Maybe affordable aftermarket battery tech will improve to deliver 150 miles by then.

erco said:
powersurge said:

I like your optimism. In 10 years, most everyone will be driving EVs with 400+ mile range. Driving a 60-mile range Leaf will be a PITA, much like having a cell phone you have to charge every hour.

But yes, they are neat niche cars. Maybe affordable aftermarket battery tech will improve to deliver 150 miles by then.
Or you might be able to retrofit a 600 mile battery that is the size of a lunchbox and you swap out by hand instead of charge. :)

powersurge said:
Although it would be nice to install a larger battery into a 2012 Leaf, There may be planned obsolescence at work here. However, I would without hesitation, install another 24kwh battery in a 2012. For the price of the battery, you have a car, (an electric car) that you can use for the next 10 years..... Oil free consumption... Depreciation free.. I kind of see this like replacing the soles on a good pair of shoes.... Yes, you could just get a new pair, but new soles would keep you going with the product that has served you so well...

"Depreciation free"?? Have you seen what used Leafs sell for? They sell for about 1/4 of what they cost new, so I think your being a bit optimistic there. I also don't see the first generation Leaf demanding decent prices in the future with the generation 2 available. Newer generations are going to have double the range (or more) of the old ones and nobody is going to want them unless they can get them cheap as backup/secondary cars for short distances.

Back