Dealer Maintenance regarding Battery Warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldstorage5

Hi, Ive bought 4 new cars in my life. A 2007 Honda fit, 2010 and 2012 Subaru Forester and a 2017 Nissan Leaf.
The first 3 cars i never brought them in for service. I did all the oil changes etc. ( that's why I bought those cars).

Do I have to bring my car into nissan to get the batteries checked in order to maintain my warranty or is that nonsense( Ive read this on the web).

Thank you
CS

^^^
Yep on what Leftie said. It's in your warranty booklet. From my '13 warranty booklet.
MAINTENANCE , DATA ACCESS, AND
RECORDS
As a condition of this warranty, you are responsible for
properly using, maintaining and caring for your vehicle
as outlined in your OWNER’S MANUAL and your
NISSAN LEAF SERVICE & MAINTENANCE GUIDE,
and maintaining copies of all maintenance records &
receipts for review by Nissan. You are required to perform
annual EV Battery Usage Report at intervals of
12 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months,
60 months, 72 months, and 84 months. These EV
Battery Usage Reports can be performed by a Nissan
LEAF certified dealer or any qualified repair shop facility.
The 12 and 24 month EV Battery Usage Report will be
performed at no charge to the customer, provided the
work is done at a Nissan LEAF certified dealer. Any
damage or failure resulting from a failure to have these
required services performed, or that could have been
avoided had these services been performed, is not
covered under warranty...
And, Nissan does change their minds on various things w/no notice/warning (e.g. assisting folks (or not) w/batteries that are down to 8 bars or less after their capacity warranty expired).

I consider it cheap enough insurance to have it done. IIRC, I was charged $39 for the most recent check. I won't bother after 84 months.

I supposedly got my last one last year, but I wasn't charged for one and didn't get a printout. My car goes back this Spring after 5 years, though, with either 11 or 12 bars.

Went back to pick up my 2013 Leaf after the 60 month check, asked for my copy of the battery report, and they had "forgotten" to do it. Took 20 minutes. After 5 years it's down 2 or maybe 3 bars

So far, so good !

todatsu said:
Went back to pick up my 2013 Leaf after the 60 month check, asked for my copy of the battery report, and they had "forgotten" to do it. Took 20 minutes. After 5 years it's down 2 or maybe 3 bars

So far, so good !

Can you tell me the build date of the car (on driver's door sill sticker) and what regional you live in?

todatsu said:
Build date 02/13, I'm in the San Francisco bay area

Thanks. Your car has the original battery chemistry used in the 2011-2012 Leafs, dubbed by me the "Canary" pack. It does tend to degrade faster, especially in warmer climates. The chemistry was improved in April of 2013, and again for 2015.

Thanks
. . .and all this time I was thinking it was the newer battery. It served its usefulness, nowadays it's all short trips and only needs charging once or twice a week.

Nissan has been pestering me to trade up to a brand new Leaf for several months. But this one's paid for and the operating costs are next to nothing.

Any time the range is questionable I drive my wife's old Mercedes instead. It needs to be driven once in a while anyway ;)

It came as a surprise to MANY people, once we started to figure out in 2015 that the old chemistry was retained into 2013. The 2013 even has a slightly different battery case. I'm glad the car is still useful for you.

Yeah. As a data point, my 5/2013 built '13 Leaf is still at 11 capacity bars. Lost 1st bar at just shy of 50K miles in Nov 2017. SOH is fluctuating around 82.xx% mostly. Sometimes, it rises into the low 83.xx now.

Need to do some research as to how much I can sell it for, esp. given that my white CA HOV stickers are expired and can't be renewed (except by low income CA folks starting in 2020, supposedly).

I live and work in a hotter part of the SF Bay Area but not blazing hot like Dublin, Walnut Creek and Concord.

Back