Temporary noise after low speed collision

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByeFO

I ran into another car - low speed accident - resulting in some gouges and scratches on the front bumper. Immediately after and for about 30 seconds I heard a noise that reminded me of a fan that was hitting something . I thought I had damaged a fan. I haven’t heard the noise since. When I got home I looked under the hood with engine on and climate control on and didn’t see or hear anything unusual. The noise of the climate control/fans sounded the same to me.

There are no warning lights on.

There is no visible impingement into the engine compartment; everything looks the same.

Any ideas on what may have caused the noise?

Has anyone ever had something like this happen to their Leaf?

Can Leaf Spy read codes? I haven’t checked yet.

Is there anything I should do?

Thanks!

leaf spy can read codes, if a fan was hitting something then it could have blown a fuse or just worn off enough material to have room again. if nothing is bent looking though then its more unlikely. sleep on it because you just had the scare and look tomorrow with a clear head if the fan blades are all looking good.

I took a screenshot of the DTC codes off of Leaf Spy:

DEA94751-A8BE-4056-9D55-030BE4639C09.jpeg

I have no idea when these codes were generated, it’s too bad they don’t come with the date generated.

Does anyone know if newer codes are on the top off the list or bottom?

Thank you!

p.s. I looked in the engine compartment today with engine and climate control on. Nothing looks out the ordinary and both fans lol like they spin the same. I’ll drive more and check codes again.

C1704 is Low pressure on front left tire.
Check tire pressure all around and fill if needed.

U1266 is Malfunction is detected between the AV control unit and TCU, and a bunch more warnings on the TCU. Not serious stuff.

Do you have an upgraded TCU? If not, is it disabled?
If you do have one, is both "Update Charging stations" and remote climate control working? If not, pull audio fuse, wait 10 seconds, replace audio fuse.

'Nuisance' codes from the past are common on a OBDII reading. I'd clear the codes and see if any come back in a few days. I don't know for certain on LeafSpy/Leaf but I would assume there is no chronological order to the codes posted. There are various modules that OBDII communicates with and I'd guess the order is just how LeafSpy is programmed to interrogate them and they are listed in that order. Or more likely, in this case, they are just in alphabetical order.

Is it possible that some part of the fender was rubbing against a tire or something like that? I'd check the damaged areas first and double check the front tires. Maybe stay off the highway until you are sure everything is OK.

So far there is nothing different with how the car runs.

I also have an LELink app on my phone. I’ll run that and compare what it finds to the codes that Leaf Spy produced.

I’ll see if there is any sign of damage around the wheels that might explain the noise I heard.

Thanks!

It is also very possible that there was a leaf or something else along those lines that got knocked loose in the collision and made it into a fan or other place that would cause the noise and then out of it by the time you were able to look. I have had this happen with other cars before without even hitting anything.

Back