mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

2011 Leaf corner area of front bumper: Is it just a cavity or there's an impact absorber?

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi,

For a 2011 Leaf, are the corner area front bumper just a cavity, or there's an impact absorber?

I literally watched the impact as the other vehicle reversed and hit into my front corner bumper (passenger side).

My car was hit (at very slow speed) while it was parked. I saw the bumper "squish-in" and popped back out again. The other driver heard the impact and immediately pulled away in the opposite direction. From what I saw, I don't think the bumper squished-in more than a foot tops. Or else, the headlight housing would have cracked and there will be metal/panel damage where the bumper edge meets the metal.

Amazingly, as I have said, there's no damage to the headlights/no cracks or any other metal/panel body damage. The bumper also looks like it is currently in proper shape. The only visible damage are the many paint scrapes in quite a few areas. Even the fog-light glass/housing below the bumper is intact. Quite amazing actually....

I cannot tell if there is some kind of impact absorber metal bar or piston or similar behind the bumper. Does anyone know?

PS: Long story short, the other person's insurance evaluator wrote up an estimate for me for $740 (Wow!) and told me that I can take money and get my own repairs if I ever wanted to do it.

Thanks for any info...

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: 2011 Leaf corner area of front bumper: Is it just a cavity or there's an impact absorber?

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Piston type impact absorbers have pretty much been replaced by cheaper blocks of rubber that work about as well.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

macnut
Leaf Number: 023581

Re: 2011 Leaf corner area of front bumper: Is it just a cavity or there's an impact absorber?

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:12 pm

I had a rear bumper impact with similar absence of any significant damage other than a small area of fractured plastic and of course paint.

But in my case there was a delay of several seconds before the impact absorbers did their thing and popped everything back into its original place.

Good that the insurance worked out well for you. Suggest you get a quote from an outfit that specializes in small paint matching jobs - they often are to be seen doing work on dealer lots. Might be only a couple hundred or so.
2012 SL Pearl White
06/2012 build date (38K miles, 10 bars, 76.54% SOH, 58.37%Hx, 50.72Ahr @ 09/2017)
Michelin Defenders & Nokian WR G3
Tor's heater mod

mxp

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.

macnut wrote:I had a rear bumper impact with similar absence of any significant damage other than a small area of fractured plastic and of course paint.

But in my case there was a delay of several seconds before the impact absorbers did their thing and popped everything back into its original place.

Good that the insurance worked out well for you. Suggest you get a quote from an outfit that specializes in small paint matching jobs - they often are to be seen doing work on dealer lots. Might be only a couple hundred or so.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Here are some pics of damaged Leafs with the front bumper off:

It appears that the corners have no reinforcement bar or absorbent material of any kind. If it was hit on the passenger side, you're lucky it didn't damage the washer fluid bottle (and that's a common placement for them in other cars today, due to lack of room in the engine bay).
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:13 pm

That explains the poor front offset crash rating, all right.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

mxp

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:27 am

Thank you for the photos Ron. They were super helpful.
I immediately double checked my washer operation and if the washer fluid bottle had any leaks. Luckily, all's good.

RonDawg wrote:Here are some pics of damaged Leafs with the front bumper off:

It appears that the corners have no reinforcement bar or absorbent material of any kind. If it was hit on the passenger side, you're lucky it didn't damage the washer fluid bottle (and that's a common placement for them in other cars today, due to lack of room in the engine bay).

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”