Gadget619
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2016

Charging Etiquette - What Would You Recommend?

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:20 pm

Hi,

Looking for some feedback/guidance regarding charging etiquette at a free L2 charger (Privately owned and availble for use by members). There is no time limit posted on the charging signage.

I was plugged in and charging my 2011 Leaf, it’s slow going with the small 3.3 KWh charger. I can only charge at 12 miles per hour versus 25 miles per hour for the newer Leaf’s with the 6 KWh chargers. While I was away from my vehicle and it was charging, a new 2018 Leaf owner pulled up alongside me and decided they needed the charger more than I did. I was unplugged during my charge. They connected the charger to their Leaf and then locked the charger to their vehicle. When I came back to move my vehicle, before it would be fully charged, I found it unplugged and the new Leaf charging.

I don’t know whether or not this is a first time Leaf owner. This Leaf owner will leave their vehicle at the charger for several hours at a time to fully charge their larger capacity battery. About a week ago, I waited several hours until they were fully charged, no lights at all on the dash to disconnect the charger and plug in my vehicle. The charger was not locked to the vehicle at that time.

So I left a note congratulating them on their new Leaf purchase and asked them to not unplug me when my vehicle is charging. I said I would be happy to plug in there vehicle in the future when I am done charging and asked that they not lock their charger to their vehicle so others could use it when the vehicle was fully charged. I let them know I have a battery that is much smaller than theirs and I don’t have the same range.

Suggestions/tips welcome.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Charging Etiquette - What Would You Recommend?

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm

You did the right thing. Don't be surprised, however, if their behavior doesn't change, or if they even become hostile.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Gadget619
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2016

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:53 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:You did the right thing. Don't be surprised, however, if their behavior doesn't change, or if they even become hostile.

Thanks for your reply. Curious to know, is there any way to manually unlock a charger that is locked to the vehicle? What other EV manufacturers have systems that lock the vehicle to the charger?

LeftieBiker

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:06 pm

You could do it with tools, but it isn't a good idea to try. I don't know of any other locking ports. In fact, I don't think the 2018 Leaf has them anymore...
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:51 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:You did the right thing. Don't be surprised, however, if their behavior doesn't change, or if they even become hostile.

Unfortunately, I think this will become more of a problem as EVs move from early adopters to more general market acceptance. I think us early adopters recognize the limitations and challenges with this fledgling tech deployment and accepted that when we signed up. But as the cars get longer range, there will be more non-enthusiasts getting into these cars. And as they do, they will bring their normal attitudes with them. And from what I've seen of the 'average' driver in So. Cal. and the massive amounts of road rage going on out there, this does not bode well given the very limited charging infrastructure. The infrastructure can barely handle current demand from drivers who are committed and willing to engage in proper etiquette. Now add in the normal folks and it is going to go downhill fast.

I was just a kid at the time, but I seem to recall on the news during the gas crises of the 70's, a lot of violence broke out at gas stations with people not playing nice with the other drivers in line to get gas. Hopefully us early adopters will be able to role model better behavior and gently bring the noobs on board with the concept of charging etiquette.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

mjblazin
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 405999

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:35 am

Do the same thing he did: lock your charger.
2013 SL Blue Ocean
Bought used, March 2015 12,764 miles
4th bar drop 56 month, 20,200 miles, AHr at 42.1
Replaced battery.
Appears fully loaded
Condo home, Using public charge except in emergency
Dallas, TX downtown, shaded non-temp controlled garage

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Gadget619 wrote:What other EV manufacturers have systems that lock the vehicle to the charger?

VW eGolf and the Tesla Model S/X/3 (not sure about the Roadster) that I know of.

mjblazin wrote:Do the same thing he did: lock your charger.

Unfortunately the locking feature didn't come until the 2013 models, and the OP's car is a 2011.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

speedski97
Delivery Date: 12 Dec 2013

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:05 am

At my work we changed out the 6.6 chargers to shared 6.6 KW shared for 2 cars. This helped add EVSE for more EVs . The day is 8 hours long, if the bolt or MS/3/X need a lot of range park next to a Prius. This helped. If the lot is closed and parking is by permit, find the new owner, ask what his needs are, and see if you know a fix for them. A lot of new EV owner think they can charge 8 hours at work and not at home. a new bolt owner thought that 120 mile drive home and back would be able to charge at work only. Make contact , be nice , work with them to fix the challenges, make management a where of the need for more EVES as cars are added. As we move forward 2 or 4 EVSE is not enough . my work has gone from 5 to 15 and now we are looking at 36 more EVSE over 40 EVs are driven daily over two shifts. We just work it out. Good luck.

garsh
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012

Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:25 am

RonDawg wrote:VW eGolf and the Tesla Model S/X/3 (not sure about the Roadster) that I know of.

In the case of the Teslas at public chargers, the car will lock onto the J1772 charging adapter - you can still remove the plug.
2012 Black SV, 7 bars, 101,000 miles

LeftieBiker

Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:25 am

I don't remember seeing the EVSE lock selector on my 2018, and I first drove a 2013 so I'm familiar with it. Do we still have one...?

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”