Had new 220 outlet installed but get fault light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigatony

I had a 220 outlet installed to charge my 2018 Leaf, but I get a fault light on the EVSE when I plug everything in...what’s up?

A couple of possibilities:
1. Wiring problem with new receptacle circuit (such as improper ground or lose connections).
2. Low voltage if you are using the dual-voltage Nissan EVSE that came with the car. It is documented in other threads on this forum that the Nissan dual voltage EVSE will not work on 208-volt circuits which are common in industrial/commercial facilities.

In either case, have the receptacle wiring and actual circuit voltage checked/repaired by a qualified electrician. The voltage should be about 240 volts if you intend to use the Nissan dual-voltage EVSE.

Yes measure the actual voltage between the hots, s/b very close to 240.
Then measure voltage of each hot to ground, s/b very close to 120 each.

Post the results.

You can start by looking at page 92 of the 578 page manual although I don't think it is very clear. My outlet has a little over 240V between the two opposing vertical slots in the outlet and a little over 120V between each of those slots and ground, the bottom vertical slot.

I wonder how many people have multimeters these days? Mine must be 40 years old.

The Electrical contractor says it could be a bad ground from the main ground wire within the foundation. When I plug the EVSE in the outlet the power light indicator is on, when I plug it into the car the normal activity starts and only after about 10 second the EVSE goes to fault.

Rigatony said:
The Electrical contractor says it could be a bad ground from the main ground wire within the foundation. When I plug the EVSE in the outlet the power light indicator is on, when I plug it into the car the normal activity starts and only after about 10 second the EVSE goes to fault.
So it could, but I'd be more suspicious of the new work than the old work.

You can get a ground tester cheap. You can also just use an electrician's test light and test between Hot(s) and Ground. If the light is strong and unwavering the ground is likely good.

Rigatony said:
EVSE has no idea where and how the ground is connected. EVSE may check voltage to the hots and that is about it. If there is a neutral it may check neutral/ground potential and continuity but most L2 EVSE has no neutral.

Have the handyman check the voltage potentials and post right here.

smkettner said:
Rigatony said:
EVSE has no idea where and how the ground is connected. EVSE may check voltage to the hots and that is about it. If there is a neutral it may check neutral/ground potential and continuity but most L2 EVSE has no neutral.

Most EVSEs leak a little current to ground to test during initialization. A poor or disconnected ground can be detected this way. I find it much more likely that the electrician goofed his install rather than the house ground being bad.

Probably a bad ground.

I initially tried plugging my 120VAC charger into with a 2 prong 120VAC socket! No workie! Needed a good ground.

John Kuthe...

I agree with others that a poorly-installed ground is the most likely cause. You’re pulling a lot of amps through a home circuit and the EVSE has a lot of fault detection to ensure the safety of the charging process.

That said, one other possibility from my own experience: you may just have a flaky EVSE. My original AeroVironment EVSE did throw faults on a newly-installed and tested circuit. After the installing electrician ran every diagnostic he could to verify the line install, I reported the faulting to Nissan. They had a tech come out to replace the EVSE under warranty and that was the end of my fault issue.

smkettner said:
Rigatony said:

The Electrician brought a more accurate Fluke tester and apparently the circuit is only getting 211 volts. I guess I need to call the electric company to turn up the juice

Is this a SFR or condo? Sounds like you might be on 208 service and that could be the issue.
Your electric clothes dryer and electric oven both operate at lower power level on 208.

Does your electric bill say 240 volt service?

ClipperCreek and most other L2 EVSE operate fine on 208 service.

Rigatony said:
smkettner said:
Rigatony said:

The Electrician brought a more accurate Fluke tester and apparently the circuit is only getting 211 volts. I guess I need to call the electric company to turn up the juice

Electrician only checked 1/2 of the installation.

What is the voltage from each hot leg to neitral? If hot to hot reads 211 and hot to neutral reads 120 then you are on a 208 line and the Nissan 240v Charger will not work.

If your hot to hot reads 211 and hot to neutral reads 106 volts (1/2 of the 211v) then call the power company and complain about low voltage.

smkettner said:
Is this a SFR or condo? Sounds like you might be on 208 service and that could be the issue.
Your electric clothes dryer and electric oven both operate at lower power level on 208.

Yes, Electric company confirmed 208 service in a cheap production home, now what?

Flyct said:
Rigatony said:
smkettner said:

Electrician only checked 1/2 of the installation.

What is the voltage from each hot leg to neitral? If hot to hot reads 211 and hot to neutral reads 120 then you are on a 208 line and the Nissan 240v Charger will not work.

The Electric company confirmed 208 volts in our cheap production home, any suggestions?

If your hot to hot reads 211 and hot to neutral reads 106 volts (1/2 of the 211v) then call the power company and complain about low voltage.

Rigatony said:
smkettner said:

Yes, Electric company confirmed 208 service in a cheap production home, now what?

Does it matter which Clipper Creek unit or will they all work?

If you have a friend with an electric range (should be a NEMA 14-50R for a newer one), you could try plugging in to that receptacle to see if the fault light still comes on. That should confirm that the stock EVSE is OK. Another alternative would be to drive to an RV park and try charging on a 50A hookup (NEMA 14-50R).

Sounds like you have a three phase supply though, so you'll likely need to buy another EVSE that works on 208V.

Rigatony said:
Does it matter which Clipper Creek unit or will they all work?
ALL CC L2 work on 208-240 service. But go ahead and call them to verify before you click and buy.
Customer service is very helpful.

Then it is just a matter of getting the right amp rating and plug to match. Call today.

Back