End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With 2 months left on my final lease extension, I still don't have a replacement plan. Bolt may or may not come here by May.

Since I'll have to transfer the lease when Tesla 3 comes out - Leaf & Hyundai Ioniq (even if this lands by May) are not practical. Good thing with GM (Ally) is that you can transfer lease without any liability - unlike Leaf.

evnow said:
With 2 months left on my final lease extension, I still don't have a replacement plan. Bolt may or may not come here by May.

Since I'll have to transfer the lease when Tesla 3 comes out - Leaf & Hyundai Ioniq (even if this lands by May) are not practical. Good thing with GM (Ally) is that you can transfer lease without any liability - unlike Leaf.

What do you mean by this?

I'm in the same boat, with 2 months left on my 2015 Leaf lease.

Got a final buyout quote of $7,662 plus tax and dmv on my loaded 2013 SL with 18K miles, leather, QC, Bose sound, etc. This is $7,400 off of my residual. This was quite an improvement from the $0-5,000 off that area dealers offered to me last month. It just lost its first bar but still reliably gets 70+ mi on a charge. I was hoping to tie things up tonight but got stuck at work. Good deal?

LBCev said:
Got a final buyout quote of $7,662 plus tax and dmv on my loaded 2013 SL with 18K miles, leather, QC, Bose sound, etc. This is $7,400 off of my residual. This was quite an improvement from the $0-5,000 off that area dealers offered to me last month. It just lost its first bar but still reliably gets 70+ mi on a charge. I was hoping to tie things up tonight but got stuck at work. Good deal?
For a SL? I think so. You know the car, it's history.. to beat it you'd have to shop around and maybe pay for shipping and be guessing on its care over the years. I guess it's all about the discount and you've a good one.

evnow said:

Wayne Gerdes just finished Bolt/Ioniq comparison and what we pretty much already knew is still true. Bolt has the range but little else.

I'm about to pull the plug and buy my Leaf. I haven't done a battery check on it yet, do you think it's necessary to do before I buy? I haven't lost any bars and have 40k miles. If it's necessary, what's the latest recommendation for getting it done for iPhone? Any OBDI2 recs? I remember hearing about a lite version of LeafSpy but I can't find it. Only the $20 app.

A very interesting update on my lease buyout of my 2015 3 year lease. I went to my dealer (Sutherlin in Buford, GA) to buy it out, told them I knew of the $8k incentive and what I was willing to pay out the door. After a brief period of haggling we came to an agreement and the sales guy went to start the paperwork. Then he came back with an upset look on his face and said we couldn't do the deal b/c NMAC was only offering the incentive on 2015s under 2 year lease, not 3 year lease. His manager came in and we discussed it, and of course I told him I was positive several people on the MNL forum had received the incentive on 2015s under 3 year lease. The guy actually went and got the NMAC paperwork and showed it to me, and sure enough it listed incentives for 2013s and 2014s (both 2 and 3 year leases) and only 2015s under 2 year lease. NOTE, the incentive for the 2015 2 year lease showed $9k not $8k, so immediately I realized they were going to pocket that extra thousand. After I left Sutherlin I called another nearby Nissan dealership (Carriage) and told them of my situation, and asked them to look at their incentives to confirm what Sutherlin said. Sure enough, the guy told me Sutherlin was shooting me straight as the paperwork he had from NMAC showed $9k for a 2015 2 year lease but no incentive for a 2015 3 year lease.

I'm assuming NMAC just hasn't gotten around to incentives for 2015s under 3 year lease because those won't start to come back until July-ish this year, so I can wait. But for those of you out there with 2015s and 2 year leases take note, the incentive from NMAC as of today (subject to change of course) is $9k on your car. Don't let your dealer give you the shaft!

Bufordleaf said:
A very interesting update on my lease buyout of my 2015 3 year lease. I went to my dealer (Sutherlin in Buford, GA) to buy it out, told them I knew of the $8k incentive and what I was willing to pay out the door. After a brief period of haggling we came to an agreement and the sales guy went to start the paperwork. Then he came back with an upset look on his face and said we couldn't do the deal b/c NMAC was only offering the incentive on 2015s under 2 year lease, not 3 year lease. His manager came in and we discussed it, and of course I told him I was positive several people on the MNL forum had received the incentive on 2015s under 3 year lease. The guy actually went and got the NMAC paperwork and showed it to me, and sure enough it listed incentives for 2013s and 2014s (both 2 and 3 year leases) and only 2015s under 2 year lease. NOTE, the incentive for the 2015 2 year lease showed $9k not $8k, so immediately I realized they were going to pocket that extra thousand. After I left Sutherlin I called another nearby Nissan dealership (Carriage) and told them of my situation, and asked them to look at their incentives to confirm what Sutherlin said. Sure enough, the guy told me Sutherlin was shooting me straight as the paperwork he had from NMAC showed $9k for a 2015 2 year lease but no incentive for a 2015 3 year lease.

I'm assuming NMAC just hasn't gotten around to incentives for 2015s under 3 year lease because those won't start to come back until July-ish this year, so I can wait. But for those of you out there with 2015s and 2 year leases take note, the incentive from NMAC as of today (subject to change of course) is $9k on your car. Don't let your dealer give you the shaft!

that is not how it works. The dealer incurs costs for taking your lease return.

Also a 3 year lease you have the potential of having more than a year left. a bit too soon to be dealing. I have seen people do it 4-6 months early but not with the time you have left.

Now, don't know what time you have left and it could be less than a year but Nissan deals on generalities, not specifics so "most" of the people in your situation simply have too much lease left.

that is not how it works. The dealer incurs costs for taking your lease return.

You are thinking of the original NMAC Leaf arrangement. Last year they changed it so the dealer gets as much of the incentive as they can manage to keep.

Thanks for investigating and reporting back. Nissan and it's dealership network have the advantage and people like you are leveling the battlefield for all. Nice one. I guess my 3yr lease ending early was a limited offer and once enough 3yr lease buyouts were taken off the market they ended it for others. So I guess I'm sorry for that as I got to it before you.

Incredible... I have a 2015 Leaf rolling off 2-year lease in 2 months that I'm considering buying, so the $9k off residual incentive directly impacts me.

My complaint is with the state of GA charging the annual EV fee ($200) mutliple times in one year - when your purchase the leased vehicle as a used car.

Thanks for sharing!

Good luck sonnylax, hope you get the full $9k! Just curious, what's the residual on your 2 year lease? My 3 year residual (2015 S w/QC) is $12,500.

Regarding the GA $200 EV fee, I have heard similar complaints from several people and will do some investigating as that would seem to violate the spirit of the law. Going to reach out to our county tax commissioner and my state senator (who I have met before and is a very reasonable person). My birthday is in September so I have some time, will post here if I learn anything consequential.

Residual due in late April 2017 is $14314.5. I have one more payment due in late March (217.98)... So the max total is $14532.48. I may try to discuss something for last day of the month (tomorrow) with a few local dealers, to see if anyone is biting.

Any idea on what the title fee costs? Is that defined by the state of GA or individual counties? I see you can calculate your Ad Valorem tax online.

DCEVGirl said:
First time poster here. Hello all. I have been thoroughly reading this thread in anticipation of returning my lease this month. Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. I would love to get some opinions on my buyout quote in addition to thoughts on buying out all together or getting new car due to depreciation. I thought I wanted the Bolt but the lease options don't seem to be very attractive. After seeing how expensive the Bolt leases are, I am having second thoughts. I'd rather wait for few years to get a long range EV. I am not in any rush and am leaning towards buying the Leaf to have as a commuter car.

2013 SL White PP with 40k miles
All bars remaining
Leased Aug 2013 for 24 months $1000 down $265/mo (no tax in my state)
Renewed Aug 2015 for 12 months with 2 month credit from NMAC
Renewed Aug 2016 for 6 months (to wait for Bolt)
Total months leased: 42 (40 after credit from NMAC)
Buyout offer:
$5604
+$300 buyout fee
+$299 processing fee
no sales tax
OTD: $6,203 (not sure of the title fees yet)

Checking in again as I finalized the deal.

After a lot of back and forth and more haggling, I got an even better deal. I thought original was great as well. I also reached out to another dealer that is not local to me thanks to a PP up-thread (Crown Nissan).

Buyout offer: $4221
Tags/title: $240
Dealer doc fee $199
OTD: $4,660

After back and forth with the two of them, I found out this was the rock bottom (actually it was $4200). Dealer only making $199 dealer doc fee. Other dealer doc fee. I have a feeling the incentives are a lot higher than what most dealers are presenting, especially for the 2 year 2013 models. My residual was $19,744 and payoff after extension was $16,721. I have no idea how my residual is so much higher than most. Other dealer offered me the rock bottom $4200 but they had $100 higher doc fee. Didn't have to go into dealer, they overnighted me paperwork. I had $225 in wear and tear from inspection. I feel like I made a profit as I'm sure I can sell it to CarMax for more than buyout.

Hello,
I have a 2014 S w/o QC. 36 months lease with no down and $230 a month. Residual value at 12100. Lease up end of June 2017. I am in TX.

31500 miles
12 bars
lost 1 key fob
missing 3 hubcaps
some scratches.

Haven't been contacted by NMAC. Consider to buy out or lease a new one with better range. The dealer where I leased from offer me a NEW 2015 SL, yes 2015, the only one left in their lot that they are trying to get rid of. They stated it is with 30kwh battery! However, I don't believe any 2015 models equip with 30kwh battery. If it is true then I may try to bargain a lease deal. Does anyone know if 2015 SL comes with 30kwh pack?

What is the buyout incentive offer right now for my leaf S? I like the bolt range but too expensive and not available at all. Any recommendation ? Strategies? or anyone in TX that able to get any lease deal at all?

Some sales "people" will happily lie, and that's probably the case here. Maybe it was built 12/15 and has a 30kwh pack, but unless you verify that with LeafSpy you'll regret it. You need to do that anyway, to make sure the pack isn't degraded. I can't help with your other questions, I'm afraid.

DCEVGirl said:
DCEVGirl said:
First time poster here. Hello all. I have been thoroughly reading this thread in anticipation of returning my lease this month. Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. I would love to get some opinions on my buyout quote in addition to thoughts on buying out all together or getting new car due to depreciation. I thought I wanted the Bolt but the lease options don't seem to be very attractive. After seeing how expensive the Bolt leases are, I am having second thoughts. I'd rather wait for few years to get a long range EV. I am not in any rush and am leaning towards buying the Leaf to have as a commuter car.

2013 SL White PP with 40k miles
All bars remaining
Leased Aug 2013 for 24 months $1000 down $265/mo (no tax in my state)
Renewed Aug 2015 for 12 months with 2 month credit from NMAC
Renewed Aug 2016 for 6 months (to wait for Bolt)
Total months leased: 42 (40 after credit from NMAC)
Buyout offer:
$5604
+$300 buyout fee
+$299 processing fee
no sales tax
OTD: $6,203 (not sure of the title fees yet)

Checking in again as I finalized the deal.

After a lot of back and forth and more haggling, I got an even better deal. I thought original was great as well. I also reached out to another dealer that is not local to me thanks to a PP up-thread (Crown Nissan).

Buyout offer: $4221
Tags/title: $240
Dealer doc fee $199
OTD: $4,660

After back and forth with the two of them, I found out this was the rock bottom (actually it was $4200). Dealer only making $199 dealer doc fee. Other dealer doc fee. I have a feeling the incentives are a lot higher than what most dealers are presenting, especially for the 2 year 2013 models. My residual was $19,744 and payoff after extension was $16,721. I have no idea how my residual is so much higher than most. Other dealer offered me the rock bottom $4200 but they had $100 higher doc fee. Didn't have to go into dealer, they overnighted me paperwork. I had $225 in wear and tear from inspection. I feel like I made a profit as I'm sure I can sell it to CarMax for more than buyout.

So after signing the papers and before sending back via FedEx, I got call that Nissan increased incentive for March.

Final buyout:$3600 + $299 dealer doc + $240 registration, tags.

Back