End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here the supply of used LEAFs has become very constrained. I am seeing more and more out of state cars and the prices are up. Anyone else seeing this?

Are the great buyout discounts still happening? I have a friend who ending their lease in July and wants to buy the LEAF if the price is right. They have all 12 bars, (`90% health) and only charge 1-2 times a week. (I told them it would be better to plug in a few hours a day instead but....)

The issue is they are unable to get any buyout info.

DaveinOlyWA said:
They are unable to get ANY buyout information, or they are unable to find out what the NMAC incentive (discount on residual) will be for JULY? I don't imagine anyone knows what the July incentive will be, but surely they can find out what the incentive is right now.

Dooglas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
They are unable to get ANY buyout information, or they are unable to find out what the NMAC incentive (discount on residual) will be for JULY? I don't imagine anyone knows what the July incentive will be, but surely they can find out what the incentive is right now.

the overly complicated answer to your question would be as stated.... buyout

I got an email from Nissan today stating that they are announcing the 2018 extended range new gen Leaf in Sept. They offered 3 months free to extend my lease for one year. If the buyouts don't go up now, they never will. I am VERY curious to the range on the new leaf. Everything I read says 180-250 miles.....

Katera said:
I got an email from Nissan today stating that they are announcing the 2018 extended range new gen Leaf in Sept. They offered 3 months free to extend my lease for one year. If the buyouts don't go up now, they never will. I am VERY curious to the range on the new leaf. Everything I read says 180-250 miles.....

With a likely 37-40kwh pack, as seems likely for the initial version, 140-150 miles is much more likely. A 60kwh pack may be offered later, or for a lot more money in September, but I'd expect just 30 and ~40kwh versions this year.

Anything less then 200 mile range will be seen as a HUGE disappointment. With the Bolt at 250 and Model 3 at 218, anything less then 200 = fail. Especially since it took them so long to come to market.

Katera said:
Anything less then 200 mile range will be seen as a HUGE disappointment. With the Bolt at 250 and Model 3 at 218, anything less then 200 = fail. Especially since it took them so long to come to market.

This opinion you have has been expressed many many many times. The Bolt and the T3 will have more range for more dollars. But there will be plenty of people who will be more than happy with 160 miles of range if its the right price. Right now, the Bolt is not at the right price for me but different areas have different perks.

But what Nissan does do is adds another very viable option to the table and I expect that it will be so for many many more people that either the T3 or the Bolt. I can only hope Chevy will pull their head out of their asses and realize how stupid they are.

Good afternoon,

My apologies for being MIA for those who have tried to contact me by email. I've moved to a new Nissan dealership, but I am still available to assist you with a buyout quote if you are interested in purchasing your LEAF. I currently do not have an email, so if you will, text or DM me your VIN and how long your lease was for and I can get a quote to you.

Thank you,

Brian McIntosh
Nissan of Greer
c.803-522-7458
p.864-877-7678

DaveinOlyWA said:
Katera said:

This opinion you have has been expressed many many many times. The Bolt and the T3 will have more range for more dollars. But there will be plenty of people who will be more than happy with 160 miles of range if its the right price. Right now, the Bolt is not at the right price for me but different areas have different perks.

But what Nissan does do is adds another very viable option to the table and I expect that it will be so for many many more people that either the T3 or the Bolt. I can only hope Chevy will pull their head out of their asses and realize how stupid they are.

I agree. If they come in with a sub 200 mile range, they will need to come in well below the other two in price.

Btw, on a side note if ANYONE is considering a Bolt, I STRONGLY advise you sitting it one and taking it for a long test drive first. I sat in one yesterday and that is one narrow uncomfortable seat. It was very disappointing. My leaf's fit and finish was also miles above the bolt. There was misaligned hard plastic everywhere and the sticker was $43k. Mercy.

Anyone know the current buyout incentives for 2015 SV w QC? 24 mth 30k mile lease.

Sounds like they might have been $6700, can anyone confirm for May?

Had not planned to buy ours, buy now reconsidering. Will turn it in this week (June 1) most likely unless I can get a decent buyout offer.

I expect a glut in GA come June as many bought end of May 2015 before the tax credit went away.

Thanks in Advance, and any input would be appreciated.

Go back to about page 99 of this thread and work forward. There are a number of dealers posting around that time with details of how they can help, geography is no obstacle for a smart dealership and sales team.

DuncanCunningham said:
Go back to about page 99 of this thread and work forward. There are a number of dealers posting around that time with details of how they can help, geography is no obstacle for a smart dealership and sales team.

Thanks, I had read the entire thread before posting. I had also contacted Brian and Tom, but have not heard back from them yet.

The Feb, Mar, and Apr incentives are all in the thread. But no mention of May.

Local dealer quoted $9500 buyout drive out against a $12.2k balance/residual. Even accounting for tax and junk fees, nowhere close. When I mentioned it, he said the Mar incentive was $6700, but is much lower now.

There are a ton of these things coming back this month due to the GA tax credit cutoff. One Atlanta dealer I know sold 2500 Apr/May 2015.

So anyone happen to know the May incentive?

Pinzgauer said:
DuncanCunningham said:

Thanks, I had read the entire thread before posting. I had also contacted Brian and Tom, but have not heard back from them yet.

Local dealer quoted $9500 buyout drive out against a $12.2k balance/residual. Even accounting for tax and junk fees, nowhere close. When I mentioned it, he said the Mar incentive was $6700, but is much lower now.

There are a ton of these things coming back this month due to the GA tax credit cutoff. One Atlanta dealer I know sold 2500 Apr/May 2015.

they change monthly. might as well hang out a few days

Pinzgauer said:
DuncanCunningham said:

Believe $4700 was the incentive for May.

Pinzgauer said:
DuncanCunningham said:

Only way to know is to call, and talk to, all the dealers who have bothered to post in the thread. One of them might be honest enough to tell you a number you can work with. each dealership has their own targets and might be given different numbers of processing lease buyouts from nissan. For example, a dealership might be told they can offer $7000 off a lease buyout for a certain age and lease term but then another dealership is not offered the same.. they can with-hold as much or as little of that discount as they please to make more money off you.

Did you call Todd Grace in Utah? He is usually quite open and transparent about how he is given the details of the deals and how he would handle you and he's done lots of "out-of-state" transactions for lease buyouts from this forum because he doesn't play the BS game. he didn't with me. he even made the process take less than 20 mins. I turned up.. chatted for while and walked out with all my papers for the car. if you are out of state he'd need to email you or fax (if you can) the papers back and forth a couple of times and you'd end up ok.

i got lucky. My lease was a 3 yr on a 2015 and i think the following month I would not have been able to process mine with the same deal, or at all as they were only processing 24month buyouts on the 2015. not so say that by next year they would have offered me a better one.. but I've done it and it's all mine and I'm happy.

good luck. I love my Leaf and my wife loves hers too. We are happy. Would we like more range? sure. but we are happy.

Thanks all! Yes, looks like $4700 might be the May number based on the one dealer offer I have. They (of course) added $599 documentation fee + $250 tag/title, which is why the number did not register with me.

Regarding forum dealers, I've emailed Tom. Also tried to reach Brian as he's close, but his contact info is no longer valid from the earlier messages. So just tried PM.

$4700 incentive and $500 dealer profit puts driveout in GA for a typical SV lease at $8400, which is not of interest to many of us.

Also, heads up, the inspection process is very backed up in GA, with appointments in some areas more than a week out. Don't wait to the last minute!

I also have to think they are impacted by the ton of GA leafs headed for turn in in May/June given the GA sales in 2015 due to the GA tax credit going away.

Heard back from Todd, he is no longer handling clients outside of Utah.

Have not been able to reach Brian yet, but will keep trying.

Any other suggestions to work with in the Atlanta area?

At this point I think I'm going to see what the June incentives are and proceed from there.

Have called 3 local dealers already and all 3 said I needed to go in before they can tell me anything. Frustrating.

mykalt45 said:
Have called 3 local dealers already and all 3 said I needed to go in before they can tell me anything. Frustrating.

that is code for.. "come to our domain so we can play the game with you" There is no need to go to the dealership other than to sign off the papers after you agree to the terms. They are choosing to not give you any details over the phone, this is how they are trying to take control of the situation

Ask them what they would need from you in person that you can not give them over the phone.. other than the hostage situation that you'll be in. No one wants to be sat in a dealership while they play that back and forth with their sales manager. Find a dealership who wants to sell you the car that you already are driving and want to buy (at the right price)

Back