prashanthsharma
Delivery Date: 17 Mar 2015

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:22 pm

My lease ends in March 2018.

By when can I expect a communication from Nissan about any promos / offers for extending my lease ?

Has anyone received calls/ emails like that for early 2018 end of lease ?

-Thanks

DuncanCunningham
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:25 pm

To buy out your lease, and any discounts, talk to a dealer. Wanting to extend your lease, call Nissan directly.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

sirenbrian
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 400827

Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:58 am

I've begun the process of buying out my lease. I'm in the process of negotiating with several dealers to try and get the price down. For those who don't know NMAC changed the process a couple of years ago. It *used* to be a simple deal done directly with NMAC - you'd get a discount on your buyout price and that discount changed month to month. But *everyone* got the same discount, based on their Leaf's model year.

That is no longer the case; you have to negotiate with a dealer. The dealer is offered a discount by NMAC, some amount of money that you are never going to be told what it is! I've called every phone number I can to try and get this information but it is nailed down tight. Thanks NMAC! grrrr.

Most dealers, I have found, will express total surprise that any discount exists at all - its in their interest to pretend it doesn't exist. When I sent some reference numbers to one dealer for a 2015 leaf, a $4600 discount, he quickly agreed that was the discount I'd get too, on my 2013 leaf. I strongly suspect that there is a lot more being offered to him by NMAC. I was able to talk him down a bit further from there.

I asked the NissanEV twitter folks WTF this was about and eventually got a call from a nice person at NMAC. They confirmed this is how the process works now and they are not particularly happy about it. They agreed with me this puts all the power in the dealer's hands: the dealer is the only one who knows how much NMAC subsidy is on the table, and they know when my lease expires. They said it was better in the old days when the discount when directly to their customers;us! But I guess the dealers saw the sweet piles of money and pushed their way into the process.

UPDATE: One of the dealers I was negotiating with was kind enough to tell me what the NMAC discount was for my car, which is a 2013 S Leaf. The discounted buyout from, down from the initial $14800 is $8000, so that's a $6800 discount. They want to charge $899 doc fee, sales tax, DMV fees, and I'm inclined to say yes just for the relief of getting it over with.

UPDATE 2: I bought the car at the price indicated - it came to just under $10K all-up. The dealership didn't try and pull any fast ones at the last minute :)
Last edited by sirenbrian on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

RobertM
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 321341

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:45 am

Then Nissan should change it back, since this way doesn't seem to work very well.
I've now had 3 dealers in PA tell me there is no discount.

I really enjoy my 2015 SL and wish I had bought as planned, but the dealer steered me into a lease. I would have been fine with the $4K off that was the incentive when I got the car. I think I will probably just accept returning it now and get myself a BoltEV.
Thanks, Nissan stealerships.
2018 BoltEV Premier, Arctic Blue, Purchased 3/14/18
2015 Gun Metallic SL w/ Premium Package, Lease, 3 yrs, returned 3/19/18

venkatagupta
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 323028

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:12 pm

sirenbrian wrote:I've begun the process of buying out my lease. I'm in the process of negotiating with several dealers to try and get the price down. For those who don't know NMAC changed the process a couple of years ago. It *used* to be a simple deal done directly with NMAC - you'd get a discount on your buyout price and that discount changed month to month. But *everyone* got the same discount, based on their Leaf's model year.

That is no longer the case; you have to negotiate with a dealer. The dealer is offered a discount by NMAC, some amount of money that you are never going to be told what it is! I've called every phone number I can to try and get this information but it is nailed down tight. Thanks NMAC! grrrr.

Most dealers, I have found, will express total surprise that any discount exists at all - its in their interest to pretend it doesn't exist. When I sent some reference numbers to one dealer for a 2015 leaf, a $4600 discount, he quickly agreed that was the discount I'd get too, on my 2013 leaf. I strongly suspect that there is a lot more being offered to him by NMAC. I was able to talk him down a bit further from there.

I asked the NissanEV twitter folks WTF this was about and eventually got a call from a nice person at NMAC. They confirmed this is how the process works now and they are not particularly happy about it. They agreed with me this puts all the power in the dealer's hands: the dealer is the only one who knows how much NMAC subsidy is on the table, and they know when my lease expires. They said it was better in the old days when the discount when directly to their customers;us! But I guess the dealers saw the sweet piles of money and pushed their way into the process.

Hi, Could you lease provide references to me. My lease is up ending March 2018. I have couple dents and it looks like cost's me around 3k. This would be real life saver for to use discounts and keep the car. I live in San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:58 pm

In light of the stealership's new policy, and in keeping with this thread, this is what I plan to do, and maybe others can point out the flaws:

~ 1 year before lease end, get the median, mode, and mean of used 2016 S values.
    ~ 6 months before lease end, get the same 3 values, and project 2016 S used values @ lease return.
      - I'm expecting the market values to be lower than residual, due to:
      - poor battery performance of the 2016/2017 leaf's in my region
      - availability of used 2014/2015 leaf S.
      - availability of used Bolts!
      - availability of fed tax credit for new medium-range EV's, effectively reducing the new car price of the 2019 leaf S.
    - Start a conversation (over phone) with at least 2 dealerships about what prices they are willing to sell me the lease return for? Since the lease can be bought out at any point from this point forward, whoever offers the best price gets the sale (plus whatever NMAC credit is offered to them).
    - don't go into the office until a purchase price is agreed upon over the phone, because if you're there, they'll play their games and wear you down.
:: Model 3 LR :: acquired 9 May '18
:: Leaf S30 :: build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
Date - Miles / GIDs:
May '17 - 7300 mi / 363
Feb '18 - 20.5k mi / 333

flighter182
Delivery Date: 13 May 2015

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:30 am

Anyone know NMAC's current (Jan'18) minimum buyout amt for a 2015 S on a 24mo lease initially? I've been told by one dealer that it is $8900, but have received a quote slightly below that figure from another. Would really like to buy the car, but it seems the cost of doing so has been trending up since last summer.

mantar
Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2017

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Would the mileage on our cars be a factor in how much the dealers are willing to go down?> My 2015S without QC has 38,000 miles on it after using it for 41 months. And it is down to 11 bars. And in the winter, when temps in ATL went down to the teens a couple of weeks ago, with the heater on, I got only 35 miles on a full charge.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:18 pm

mantar wrote:Would the mileage on our cars be a factor in how much the dealers are willing to go down?> My 2015S without QC has 38,000 miles on it after using it for 41 months. And it is down to 11 bars. And in the winter, when temps in ATL went down to the teens a couple of weeks ago, with the heater on, I got only 35 miles on a full charge.

Maybe. Before they just shipped the cars off. Now they have the option to keep and sell them, and they wouldn't want a higher mileage car with a bar lost (if they know about the bars). I'd say that if the dealership sells used Leafs it matters. If not, then no.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

kawan999
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2014

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Anyone reserved a 2018 Leaf?

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”