What discount to expect over MSRP?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerryr

I have a 2015 SL w/10,000 trouble free miles and looking to trade for a 2018 SL.

What’s discount below MSRP should I expect to be able to negotiate on a 2018 SL?

Jerryr said:
I have a 2015 SL w/10,000 trouble free miles and looking to trade for a 2018 SL.

What’s discount below MSRP should I expect to be able to negotiate on a 2018 SL?

Where? Car markets are local, to an extent. If you are in San Jose or Seattle, you can probably get a better price than in Garden City, Kansas.

WetEV said:
Jerryr said:

Where? Car markets are local, to an extent. If you are in San Jose or Seattle, you can probably get a better price than in Garden City, Kansas.

Tampa Florida area

WetEV said:
Jerryr said:

Tampa Florida area

Made the deal today. Got $4,968 discount off MSRP but dealer fees were $799 so net discount was $4,269.
Only incentive available was $1000 for NMAC financing. Only financed $18000. Will pay this off in about a week as soon as I get a loan number.

Also eligible for Federal Tax credit of $7,500. No other credits available in Florida.

Got $13,000 for trade in of 3 year old 2015 Leaf SL, Premium w/ Bose. That one cost me $20,000 after rebates, incentives an Federal Tax credits.

2018 SV Gray
All Weather pkg ($900)
SV technology Pkg ($2200)
Splash guards ($190)
Carpeted floor mats and cargo mat ($190)

$36,855 MSRP
-4,968 discount
+$799 Dealer fees
+ sales tax
+$200 registration fees

Update:

When I made the final deal I didn’t have my trade with me since it wasn’t charged enough to make the round trip to the dealer. After signing all paperwork we took the new Leaf home. The dealer was going to pick up our trade from our house the next day.

When I got home I noticed there wasn’t a charger in the car so o called and they said they have it at the dealership and would bring it when they pick up the trade.

So yesterday they showed up and hand me a brand new looking charger case. I opened it up and there was a dirty used old style L1 trickle charger in the bag NO NO NO I said. Where’s the 120v/240v L1/L2 charger that’s supposed to come with the technology package?

After several phone calls back and forth to sales Managment they said they would get me a brand new proper L1/L2 charger ordered. Today I got a message that it would be 3-4 weeks for the new charger they ordered to arrive.

I have a L2 EVSE installed already in my garage so at least I’m not dead in the water. A L1 would take 30 hours to trickle charge a Dead 40 ah battery that’s in the 2018 Leaf.

I could not believe that they tried to pull off a fast one on me. My wife doesn’t understand why I don’t trust car sales people.

jlv said:
What dealership (stealership)? Did you report them to Nissan?

Nissan of Venice, Florida

Yes, reported to Nissan and they opened a case.

Nissan said the EVSE is serialized and the serial number is listed on the car window sticker. He said he was going to follow up, call dealership and see if he could speed up replacement for missing EVSE, but no guarantees. Nissan will be calling me back next Tuesday with update.

I just received the post sale survey. I’m going to hold off filling it out and let the sales guys know. This is the only leverage I have at this time.

Nissan Corp got back to me. Best they could do is get the new EVSE by June 4th.

Got the new registration in the mail today from the dealership. They registered my car with the wrong color. The Gray car is listed as Gold. Now have to wait until after the holiday weekend to talk to the title clerk at the dealership.

Nothing goes right.

Jerryr said:
Made the deal today. Got $4,968 discount off MSRP but dealer fees were $799 so net discount was $4,269.
Only incentive available was $1000 for NMAC financing. Only financed $18000. Will pay this off in about a week as soon as I get a loan number.

Also eligible for Federal Tax credit of $7,500. No other credits available in Florida.

Got $13,000 for trade in of 3 year old 2015 Leaf SL, Premium w/ Bose. That one cost me $20,000 after rebates, incentives an Federal Tax credits.

2018 SV Gray
All Weather pkg ($900)
SV technology Pkg ($2200)
Splash guards ($190)
Carpeted floor mats and cargo mat ($190)

$36,855 MSRP
-4,968 discount
+$799 Dealer fees
+ sales tax
+$200 registration fees

Got the same deal as you off MSRP for the most part

2018 SL White
MSRP $38510

Paid $35000 with all fees, reg etc. financed at 0% for 5 years with 5K down on CC (w/ points earned)
Dealer $499 + $360 for reg included with no sales tax in my state for EV

With the $7500 federal back should bring the cost down to $27500, just not sure if I should have leased it

Anyone know how the federal rebate works that got it back? Do everyone qualify for it regardless of income or how more or less taxes one pays? I tried to read up on it and it's confusing somewhat. Also I don't understand the MFG cap of 200K cars because I understand they are over that # but the Leaf still qualifies for the rebate? Thanks and sorry for the questions here.

You have to owe $7500 or more in taxes this year to get the full $7500. Otherwise you get what you owe. As for leasing, the credit is now pocketed by NMAC and they give about $3k in CCR for the SL.

LeftieBiker said:
You have to owe $7500 or more in taxes this year to get the full $7500.
To be clear, you need a $7,500 tax liability to receive the full tax credit.
People usually interpret "owed" as liability less pre-payments. Pre-payments due not affect the tax credit received.

techiefan said:
........................Anyone know how the federal rebate works that got it back? Do everyone qualify for it regardless of income or how more or less taxes one pays? I tried to read up on it and it's confusing somewhat. Also I don't understand the MFG cap of 200K cars because I understand they are over that # but the Leaf still qualifies for the rebate? Thanks and sorry for the questions here.

Don't worry about the "MFG cap of 200K cars" It does not apply to Nissan Leaf this year because they have not exceeded selling more than the Cap.

As other said you reduce your tax liability by up to $7,500. If your tax liability for the year is less than $7,500 you end up not paying taxes that year and will get a refund of all your withholding.

IRS Form 8936 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdfis used to calculate the credit that goes on line 54 of your 1040 form.

When I bought my 2015 Leaf I got a refund of $8,781 that year. $7,500 of that was because of the Leaf Tax credit.

If you use Turbotax, Taxact.com or any other tax prep software it fills out the proper forms and calculates everything for you.

Flyct said:
techiefan said:
........................Anyone know how the federal rebate works that got it back? Do everyone qualify for it regardless of income or how more or less taxes one pays? I tried to read up on it and it's confusing somewhat. Also I don't understand the MFG cap of 200K cars because I understand they are over that # but the Leaf still qualifies for the rebate? Thanks and sorry for the questions here.

Don't worry about the "MFG cap of 200K cars" It does not apply to Nissan Leaf this year because they have not exceeded selling more than the Cap.

As other said you reduce your tax liability by up to $7,500. If your tax liability for the year is less than $7,500 you end up not paying taxes that year and will get a refund of all your withholding.

IRS Form 8936 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdfis used to calculate the credit that goes on line 54 of your 1040 form.

When I bought my 2015 Leaf I got a refund of $8,781 that year. $7,500 of that was because of the Leaf Tax credit.

If you use Turbotax, Taxact.com or any other tax prep software it fills out the proper forms and calculates everything for you.

Perfect explanation and thanks! I figured out that 114K have been manufactured to date and originally was not thinking about just US so that cleared that up too.

Hello all, I’m looking at a 2018 SL. I’ve got the dealer down to $33,700 out the door purchase price (no taxes in WA until May 31st) does this sound like a good deal?

Jerryr said:

Got the new registration in the mail today from the dealership. They registered my car with the wrong color. The Gray car is listed as Gold. Now have to wait until after the holiday weekend to talk to the title clerk at the dealership.

Nothing goes right.

Update:

I called the dealer today to get an update on the supposed missing charger delivery by June 4th. They told me that the order delivery date is now pushed back to August.

I told them to just cut me a check for the dealer cost of the OEM Charger. They need approval from their GM who won’t be back until Wednesday because the cost exceeds $800.

phxboy said:
Hello all, I’m looking at a 2018 SL. I’ve got the dealer down to $33,700 out the door purchase price (no taxes in WA until May 31st) does this sound like a good deal?

Yes, assuming they aren't trying to include the Federal tax credit in the quote. ;-) I assume that this is with no option packages?

Flyct said:
Jerryr said:

Nothing goes right.

Update:

I called the dealer today to get an update on the supposed missing charger delivery by June 4th. They told me that the order delivery date is now pushed back to August.

I told them to just cut me a check for the dealer cost of the OEM Charger. They need approval from their GM who won’t be back until Wednesday because the cost exceeds $800.

Dealer GM approved sending me a check for $800+

Flyct said:
Flyct said:
Jerryr said:

Nothing goes right.

Update:

Dealer GM approved sending me a check for $800+

Another update

Received the check today from dealer. It was reduced to $722

Purchased a OEM 120/240v Nissan EVSE for $219 on EBay
Purchased a new style bag for 2018 Charger from Nissan internet dealer for $188 delivered

So I have about $400 invested and reimbursed $722
Plus I still have my 120v OEM EVSE from my 2015 I traded in

I’m happy.

Around here (NYS) I see $3.5k or so off MSRP and then $2K NIssan rebate and $1k dealers cash. Couple that with NYSERDA $2k and a loaded SV is around $31k out of the door. That's before federal tax credit. Not bad!

Back