Looking to buy 2016 SV - LeafSpy data - battery degradation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awhile

Looking to buy a used 2016 Leaf SV.

I would like to know if there is anything glaringly bad in the LeafSpy data, or what more I should look at. I've worked with LeafSpy on several other Leaf's I've considered purchasing.

FYI, I read through the complete topic postings for "2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses" so I've invested some time in this forum and know that the community is not unanimous on the quality (degradation speed) of the 30 kWh battery (compared to 24 kWh 2015 lizard version).

Here is info on the vehicle:

2016 Leaf SV
manufactured late 2015
purchased summer 2016 => Battery degradation warranty expires 8 years from then.
purchased/used in Southern California
lease vehicle
50k miles
10 bars on dashboard battery display

It's being sold at a non-Nissan dealership and I don't know if it's gotten the firmware update (June 2018). It looks like it was last owned prior to June 2018. However, I do have a screenshot of vehicle's dashboard that showed 9 bars (not the current 10), and mileage showed 1000 miles less on speedometer than is current. I found this screenshot on website, so I don't know how long ago it was taken. Perhaps vehicle did get firmware update since it shows more bars now (10 vs 9) at greater mileage (+ 1000 miles).

LeafSpy data after doing 5 mile test drive loop which included 70 mph on highway:
(From DropBox .csv file)
SOC: 387112
AHr: 622012
Pack Volts: 352.7
CP mV Diff: 37
Pack T1 F: 69.1
Hx: 51.16
QC: 43
L1/L2: 1258
SOH: 78.26
HVoltt: 352.7
HVolt2: 352.7

(From screenshot)
30 kWh battery, 2016
"Battery Cells" screen says "33 mv".

Calculations:

Battery capacity equals AHr * Volts / 1000 = 62.2 * 352 / 1000 = 21.9 kWh
Thus range at 4 mile / kWh => 4 * 21.9 = 87 mile range
Thus range at 3 mile / kWh => 3 * 21.9 = 66 mile range

My needs:
I rarely need to do more than 50 mile round trip so the range should satisfy my needs.

awhile said:
2016 Leaf SV
manufactured late 2015
purchased summer 2016 => Battery degradation warranty expires 8 years from then.
purchased/used in Southern California
lease vehicle
50k miles
10 bars on dashboard battery display

It's being sold at a non-Nissan dealership and I don't know if it's gotten the firmware update (June 2018). It looks like it was last owned prior to June 2018. However, I do have a screenshot of vehicle's dashboard that showed 9 bars (not the current 10), and mileage showed 1000 miles less on speedometer than is current. I found this screenshot on website, so I don't know how long ago it was taken. Perhaps vehicle did get firmware update since it shows more bars now (10 vs 9) at greater mileage (+ 1000 miles).

Hx: 51.16
SOH: 72.86
Make sure you're looking at the right bars. http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/wiki/battery-capacity-loss/ shows a fully charged 3 capacity bar loser.

With stats like that, I suspect it does not have the 30 kWh firmware update. That's pretty high mileage for such a new vehicle. I guess they had a really high mileage lease or paid a lot for extra miles.

Thanks.

Make sure you're looking at the right bars.

This is cropped pic of battery bars from website:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10sc-gCMbmXSf92BqMZEg-a6q5ltG3PrZ/

I don't have picture from when I looked at it in person. Perhaps I counted wrong. Note to self: take a picture when you're there.

Looks like 9 bars to me, too. Here's your problem: when it drops to 8 bars, Nissan will want to do the update before anything else. At that point you will likely get two, maybe even three or four bars back, and the warranty doesn't give you a new battery. Then the car will either be fine, degrading "normally" whatever that means for those packs, and you will likely not get a new pack. OR, it will keep rapidly degrading and you will maybe get a new pack in a few years. Maybe.

I did a calculation that I learned in another thread:

Battery capacity equals AHr * Volts / 1000 = 62.2 * 352 / 1000 = 21.9 kWh

Question:
I don't understand why the Voltage numbers I'm seeing in LeafSpy for this 30 kWh battery are different and lower than what I've seen in other 30 kWh and 24 kWh batteries.

E.g.,
2017 Leaf S (30 kWh):
AHr: 750770
Pack Volts: 392.16

2016 Leaf S (24 kWh)
AHr: 526918
Pack Volts: 382.94

Is the measurement of 352 expected for a 30 kWh battery?

Had the pack been fully charged and equalized, to the point where all three charging lights had turned off by themselves, while the car was still plugged in? It could be as simple as a 100% indicated charge that was lower than a full charge.

when it drops to 8 bars, Nissan will want to do the update before anything else. At that point you will likely get two, maybe even three or four bars back, and the warranty doesn't give you a new battery.

I could not find info on how to get Nissan to do the update before 8 bars. Is there a thread that talks about this? Do you just bring the car in and tell them to do it?

For example:
http://www.cleanfleetreport.com/exclusive-nissan-leaf-battery-fix/
This service campaign is open to all 2016 and 2017 LEAFs regardless of mileage or if they have had their battery previously replaced. Owners should contact their local dealer to schedule the update.

awhile said:
I could not find info on how to get Nissan to do the update before 8 bars. Is there a thread that talks about this? Do you just bring the car in and tell them to do it?
For example:
http://www.cleanfleetreport.com/exclusive-nissan-leaf-battery-fix/
You didn't read the Nissan service campaign statement in the link you attached, did you? It says nothing about after 8 bars for the software update. It just says make an appointment and bring the car in to your dealer.

Or just call up your local Nissan dealer with the VIN handy. I would assume they could look up the VIN in their system and see if the update has been done or not. If not, just ask for an appointment to get it done. It should be free.

goldbrick said:
Or just call up your local Nissan dealer with the VIN handy. I would assume they could look up the VIN in their system and see if the update has been done or not. If not, just ask for an appointment to get it done. It should be free.

Thanks. That makes sense. I've read so much about how dealerships don't know about this or are not very helpful unless you're there to pay for something.

As I posted before, from the service campaign, "just schedule the update":
For example:
http://www.cleanfleetreport.com/exclusi ... ttery-fix/
This service campaign is open to all 2016 and 2017 LEAFs regardless of mileage or if they have had their battery previously replaced. Owners should contact their local dealer to schedule the update.

Back