New California Rebate of $5,000 covers preowned EV as well !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gene

NEW Program! State of California pays you $5,000 for purchase of a full battery EV NEW or USED!

This is huge as there are plenty of excellent used Nissan Leaf’s, Fiat 500e’s, Chevy Spark EV, VW E-Golf, Mercedes B250, BMW i3, Kia Soul-ev, etc, at less than $10k. California is paying $5000, which 50% of these used EV’s for you!

Your household income must be below certain limits such as $48k for a single person, or $65k for a couple. Many, many people can take advantage of the limited offer and start commuting fossil free!

If you qualify, and if you add in not buying gas anymore, you are looking at a free car with gas savings with a few years of ownership.

All the details here: https://cleanvehiclegrants.org/

Tell your friends!

I wonder if this is in addition to the existing CA rebate of $2500. Anyone know? That could mean $15K back with the federal incentive.

If this is true, we will see almost all preowned EVs priced under $15,000 being shipped to California. The amount should be graduated by the price of the car. If I was in CA, and qualified for this program, I'd be buying a Chevy Spark today. If you have been hesitating on buying a used Leaf or Chevy Spark EV and you don't live in CA and qualify for this offer, you better buy now! If you are in CA and you own one of these cars, the value will probably go up by $2-3K.

jake14mw said:
If this is true, we will see almost all preowned EVs priced under $15,000 being shipped to California. The amount should be graduated by the price of the car. If I was in CA, and qualified for this program, I'd be buying a Chevy Spark today. If you have been hesitating on buying a used Leaf or Chevy Spark EV and you don't live in CA and qualify for this offer, you better buy now! If you are in CA and you own one of these cars, the value will probably go up by $2-3K.
I'm reddy to ship it tomorrow! Anyone want a 9-bar 2011 SL ;) ;) :eek: :shock:

EVDRIVER said:
I wonder if this is in addition to the existing CA rebate of $2500. Anyone know? That could mean $15K back with the federal incentive.
You have to choose between the $2,500 or the $5,000....hmmmm....I hate difficult decisions!

What is special here is that the $7500 fed and $2500 state incentives are on new cars only. This $5,000 is new OR used.

If you are an SCE customer you get $450 on new or used as well.

It must be in the rules somewhere, but I see nothing on the site that says how long one has to own the vehicle to keep the credit.

Otherwise there are a lot of folks who meet this income requirement, so even those not interested in hybrids and plug-ins could just buy and flip for some $$$.

iPlug said:
It must be in the rules somewhere, but I see nothing on the site that says how long one has to own the vehicle to keep the credit.

Otherwise there are a lot of folks who meet this income requirement, so even those not interested in hybrids and plug-ins could just buy and flip for some $$$.
I was thinking the same thing.

Except that the program requires the sale to be through a dealer. So by the time you buy from a dealer and then trade it back into a dealer, you aren't flipping for a profit.

Absent that type of control, people would set up a board to link up people with similar age and mileage Leafs and sell their car to each other for same or similar amounts and get the state to send each a $5k check.

I agree that this might be a huge deal. There are a lot of people struggling and getting a used EV at a bargain price could really help.

The arbitrage would work differently than that.

Because this is only available to people with low incomes, it could be sold back to someone with a higher income in the same state or just shipped back out of state again to pocket the difference.

Hmm, that could work. Hopefully they have something that will thwart that. But I doubt it - California has a bad track record when it comes to defending the coffers from pillaging.

As much as I love the idea of EV incentives, this seems like an ill-conceived idea. It took me one minute to read it to come to that conclusion. Did this really get passed? I did a google search and don't find anything, and I don't see it being reported on the EV sites.

DarthPuppy said:
I agree that this might be a huge deal. There are a lot of people struggling and getting a used EV at a bargain price could really help.

This is why I am such an advocate for affordable EVs as I fit into this category. I was finally able to pick up my new to me 2015 S this weekend and it took me close to three years to be able to do it. In my area, if this sort of program was available, you'd be able to get a late model Leaf for $5000-$6000 as they readily show up for around $10K or thereabouts (some more and some less). If we want to see more people getting into EVs, it would be nice if us poor folks could be given a bone and something like this program is a huge step in the right direction in my opinion.

iPlug said:
The arbitrage would work differently than that.

Because this is only available to people with low incomes, it could be sold back to someone with a higher income in the same state or just shipped back out of state again to pocket the difference.

Ok, I'm curious: What's the advantage of shipping it out of state? If anything, it would be worth more in California than anywhere else (even for those not eligible for a rebate).

Back