Visiting the Oppama Factory?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electriclarry

Does anyone know if it's possible to visit the Oppama Factory? Would it not be a once in a lifetime oportunity to see your car or a similar one being manufactured? Is there anyone who knows enough about the area around Oppama to setup a land only tour starting and ending at NRT? Such a way to waste FF miles!

electriclarry said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to visit the Oppama Factory? Such a way to waste FF miles!

I've got the miles, I've got the time. Anybody have any influence with the Leaf people?

Clippy said:
I've got the miles, I've got the time. Anybody have any influence with the Leaf people?

I've got the miles too. It would such great PR for Nissan to have you actually follow your own car down the assembly line.

The math works out to the line producing a new Leaf about every 10 minutes. I wonder how long it takes for an individual vehicle to actually be assembled.

mwalsh said:
Japanese delivery would be awesome, like they do with Volvos and Mercs. Let you have a bit of a holiday in Japan with your Leaf first!
Do you really want to drive a LHD car on the "wrong" side of the road in very different and unfamiliar territory ? You might; I probably don't. Still a visit to the factory would be neat.

I have been to Japan at least 5 or 6 times ....My most recent visit was a quick weekend trip last November to see the Leaf and the other new concept cars at the Tokyo International Auto Show...

I lived in England for a year as a visiting professor at Manchester and in Adelaide Australia also as a visiting professor. In both places I had a RHD car and was comfortable driving there. I have also driven extensively in South Africa, BUT I would NOT, repeat NOT drive in Japan.

My wife is Japanese-American and reads somewhat Kanji, however reading street signs and making quick decisions on the roads of Japan in a LHD car would NEVER be a choice of mine.

Visiting Japan almost regularly is a wonderful experience. In an earlier "family roots trip" to Nagoya we visited the Toyota Museum there, but could not do a factory tour as we were not there on the right visiting day....I would go again to see that, BUT....

I would not drive in Japan, and I would certainly NOT want to drive a LHD car into any of those narrow streets with very busy traffic and the other MUCH more skilled and familiar-with-the-area drivers. About 12 years ago I arranged the "European Delivery" of a new BMW 3 series and comfortably drove it around Germany before it's shipment back to Sacramento, I have driven in Greece and many other countries around the world as noted above including MANY with RHD requirements, but I would NEVER opt to drive in Japan.

I would further note that the mystique of Japan being horribly expensive is just WRONG. Our most expensive dinner last November in Tokyo was less that $13/person and our very nice and modern hotel in Tokyo with breakfast was about $135/night. Good hotels outside Tokyo can be had for under $110/night with breakfast for 2 people. Meals eaten where the Japanese eat easily can be had for less than $15/person, even IN TOKYO !

So visit Japan at your earliest opportunity....Visit the auto factory of your interest or several....But only consider a rental car picked up OUTSIDE any of the cities if you demand that option at all. The Japanese trains are probably the best in the world and a 5-7 day train pass is quite reasonable when ordered from outside Japan.

George Parrott
W. Sacramento

GeorgeParrott said:
I would further note that the mystique of Japan being horribly expensive is just WRONG. Our most expensive dinner last November in Tokyo was less that $13/person and our very nice and modern hotel in Tokyo with breakfast was about $135/night. Good hotels outside Tokyo can be had for under $110/night with breakfast for 2 people. Meals eaten where the Japanese eat easily can be had for less than $15/person, even IN TOKYO !

Interesting - did the prices go down (Japan has been having deflation for a decade) ?

I don't think tourist prices in Japan have gone down. However I am convinced that most newspaper and magazine travel reports have played up the high costs to JUSTIFY the expense accounts of those writers. Sure, one can find $300/night and up hotels there, but so can one find those prices in SF, NYC, Boston, etc. One can find dinners that cost upwards of $100 per person in Japan, but so can one find those in Paris, London and many US cities.

My wife and I do NOT travel at that level of indulgence. We like en suite facilities, a clean and quiet room, and ideally some kind of breakfast service. We do not need a 5 room suite at the Ritz or the Palace, etc. By using a Frommer's or similar budget travel guide or even Tripadvisor on the internet, it is EASY to find reasonable and most satisfactory hotels almost anywhere in the world, including Japan. Finding a reasonable and appetizing place for dinner in ANY of the Japanese cities pretty much requires just checking out the local dining near any of the train stations or asking at your (reasonably priced) hotel where they recommend.

By the way, one does NOT need "first class" train seating in Japan nor are reserved seats really necessary. Our Japanese friends met us recently for that visit to the auto show, and they had NEVER had first class seats or even reserved seats! For intercity trains it just isn't really necessary.

electriclarry said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to visit the Oppama Factory?

I would imagine it to be possible. Here is a link regarding tours at the Smyrna plant in Tennessee. While they would not know about the Oppama plant, they could probably point you in the right direction. I've been through the Smyrna plant a couple times. It is a pretty amazing thing to watch.

If you do manage to get your LEAF for a "vacation" before it is shipped:

1. Would Nissan provide some sort of temporary "registration" or "plates" to make it legal to drive there.

2. What insurance would be required or desired?

3. Will the Nav portion show detailed maps of Japan, or will it be "initialized" with only USA maps?

4. Will the car work with the Japanese CARWINGS, at least enough to show you nearby charging station locations?

They should install L3 because you are willing to pay $700 for it.

Will they refuse to sell all-weather floor mats to somebody in Phoenix?

I might be able to design a "Fairly-Quick" (maybe 1 hour) "basic" L3 charge station (no bells and whistles, credit cards, or communication) for home / private-location use that could be sold for $4000 or so ... assuming the location has enough power available. (208v x 40a x 3 phase => 24 kW charging.) :)

Back