Universal City Nissan - $5k OVER MSRP.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWBD

I talked to Universal City Nissan today. Told them about two L.A. area dealerships (Duarte and Fontana) offering $1k below MSRP and asked if they would match. The guy (Jay) told me they are selling for "5 over." I said, "$5000 ABOVE MSRP?" He said, "Yes." I laughed and told him, "good luck with that." He then bristled and said that they were the largest nissan dealership in the country and that they had already "sold out" of the Leaf. That was my favorite part, as the only inventory they'll ever have is the inventory we order and send to them.

Any other dealerships show this kind of nerve?

if no one sets them as their "prefered dealer" they won't be able to respond to any "Request for quotes", and will sell zero Leafs, as it should be :)

Not everyone is as informed as the people at this site...I'm sure they will get a few customers that don't know any better...but will be pissed when they find out that others did not pay over MSRP...

I guess it depends on whether they want repeat business or not.

Gavin

Called Duarte and they said $1000 over invoice... I then said but below MSRP... they said "no over MSRP"??? Huh?

I'm September order - hopefully the August order people will get these people in line by the time it's my turn.

I'm still mildly amused that people aren't all over the Internet researching stuff when they have the need. When I want anything I'm on there making sure that what I'm interested in is a good value and has a reputation for reliability and quality. I simply could not imagine living any other way.

Yeah, here in Southern Cal, I got a similar response ($3k-$5k over) from Glendale Nissan and one other dealer I've forgotten. But, when you think about it, this forum is a pretty small echo chamber (eco-echo?). Many dealers don't feel they need to please such a small, albeit well-informed, group. They're going after the thousands of other hand-raisers who don't really grasp the concept of ordering a car off a web-page and making use of the detailed resources of forums like this (time to donate!).
But I've learned a lot by calling around. Some dealers don't post on this forum but are well aware of it and the pricing being offered and might be willing to deal one-on one for a few of the first deliveries.
In SoCal, I've found Leon of Mossy to be up front and knowledgeable; also Danny at Fontana. Gordon at SB Nissan has been very plugged in to the order process as well as ready to consider lower than MSRP.
Santa Monica Nissan at one time promised to match prices. They've been quiet lately, maybe someone can get an update. Cerritos is at MSRP but I appreciate them being up front about it. I'd hate to place my RAQ with Universal and find they changed from +5k to +$6k just for the fun of it.

Some dealers I've spoken clearly dislike the "forum members discounts" being offered. They bad-mouth these dealers when I mention the prices posted on the internet. Perhaps some, like Fontana are getting some pushback from Nissan to cool it a little so they've pulled it from the front of their web page?

I'm still wondering how Nissan will handle the RAQ vs reservation #. It would be kind of nice, if based on your reservation # sequence, your place in line didn't change for 7 days or so. Enough time to go through a few actual dealer quotes without having to rush the process for fear of not making the December cut. Most dealers won't like that. Oh well, we'll find out soon enough.

I could see five over if they end up with an orphan to do a cash and carry deal for a person that is not in the reservation system.
Otherwise good luck on that.

WWBD said:
I talked to Universal City Nissan today. Told them about two L.A. area dealerships (Duarte and Fontana) offering $1k below MSRP and asked if they would match. The guy (Jay) told me they are selling for "5 over." I said, "$5000 ABOVE MSRP?" He said, "Yes." I laughed and told him, "good luck with that." He then bristled and said that they were the largest nissan dealership in the country and that they had already "sold out" of the Leaf. That was my favorite part, as the only inventory they'll ever have is the inventory we order and send to them.

Any other dealerships show this kind of nerve?

How could they be 'sold out', when they don't even have any web orders yet?

If you RAQ and get a quote from one dealer and you want to wait the 24 hours to get a quote from a different dealer to see if they'll beat it... do you lose your spot in line? Do you get the car later?

Are people screwing themselves if they don't accept the quote?

cdub said:
Are people screwing themselves if they don't accept the quote?

All the reason to lock in your dealer to pricing now and maybe even give your PD a call when the RFQ comes in, just to give him a gentle reminder as to what you've agreed to. As long as you've done this, there really shouldn't be any surprises when the quote comes back.

Just had an awesome conversation with Alex at Fontana Nissan. Very knowledgeable and he confirms the $1000 below MSRP... he's certainly my preferred dealer now.

I assume at some point you will be able to purchase a Leaf directly from a dealer, but I haven't heard when that time is expected to be. Everything I've heard so far is that you have to reserve online and go through this online RFP process. This seems to be the case for the foreseeable future.

Do any of the dealers know when they will have Leafs on the lot to sell like other cars? (Not Leafs they have purchased online and are essentially reselling, but rather Leafs that Nissan ships for dealer inventory for lot sales purposes). Is there some point in time where the Internet order process will be shut down and all Leafs will be sold through dealers like a regular car, or does Nissan expect to sell the Leaf as on Internet vehicle forever or perhaps it will eventual fall into a two track purchase option experience?

LakeLeaf said:
Do any of the dealers know when they will have Leafs on the lot to sell like other cars? (Not Leafs they have purchased online and are essentially reselling, but rather Leafs that Nissan ships for dealer inventory for lot sales purposes). Is there some point in time where the Internet order process will be shut down and all Leafs will be sold through dealers like a regular car, or does Nissan expect to sell the Leaf as on Internet vehicle forever or perhaps it will eventual fall into a two track purchase option experience?

Good question. We don't know whether Nissan wants to continue this process.

I'd think Nissan will let dealers send in their orders once the reservation list is fulfilled. It could be all the way to 2012/13 when TN factory starts producing LEAF in large numbers ...

LakeLeaf said:
I assume at some point you will be able to purchase a Leaf directly from a dealer, but I haven't heard when that time is expected to be. Everything I've heard so far is that you have to reserve online and go through this online RFP process. This seems to be the case for the foreseeable future.

According to Nissan, that should happen by the end of 2011. Time will tell.

I had talked to Universal Nissan earlier, but they wouldn't comment on price. Looks like I will be taking my business elsewhere. I'd rather lose a few places in line than pay $5000 extra. Looks like I will be sending my money over to Fontana.

-Peter

cdub said:
Called Duarte and they said $1000 over invoice... I then said but below MSRP... they said "no over MSRP"??? Huh?

I'm September order - hopefully the August order people will get these people in line by the time it's my turn.

clearly the person you spoke to has no clue what the invoice and msrp is.

Back