techiefan
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 2:22 am
Delivery Date: 27 May 2018
Leaf Number: 304600

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:14 am

MickM wrote:$7612 is a great discount off MSRP. My discount was $7199 of an MSRP that was $2k higher. You definitely got the better deal! I'm assuming here you didn't qualify for any of the military or student programs or the Nissan loyalty program (I didn't).

Also, it always amazes me that the doc fee in CA is $80 when it's typically $400 in MA.

Both are great deals, only thing that got me close to that was no taxes.

wekebu
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 3:54 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jun 2018
Leaf Number: 305286
Location: Northern CA (Chico)

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:12 am

Is the Leaf anywhere close to meeting the 200k limit for the $7,500 federal rebate? If so, how do I ensure that we get the rebate because we purchased before the limit was hit? In case I'm not clear, we purchased in May 2018. Say the limit is hit in Oct. The tax form does have purchase date, will that help to verify that we qualify?

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:05 am

wekebu wrote:Is the Leaf anywhere close to meeting the 200k limit for the $7,500 federal rebate? If so, how do I ensure that we get the rebate because we purchased before the limit was hit? In case I'm not clear, we purchased in May 2018. Say the limit is hit in Oct. The tax form does have purchase date, will that help to verify that we qualify?


That just means you'll qualify no matter what. There's an infographic about how the tax credit sunsetting works for Tesla, which applies to Nissan as well: https://insideevs.com/us-federal-7500-e ... estimates/

TL;DR: If Nissan sells it's 200,000th EV in Oct 2018, then all EV sales in that "quarter" (Oct, Nov, Dec), plus the one after it (Jan, Feb, Mar 2019) continue to qualify for the full tax credit amount. The two quarters after that only qualify for half the tax credit amount ($3750), and the two quarters after that only qualifies for 1/4 the amount ($1875). Thus, only Nissan EV's sold in April 2020 or later will get zero tax credits.
:: Model 3 LR :: acquired 9 May '18
:: Leaf S30 :: build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
Date - Miles / GIDs:
May '17 - 7300 mi / 363
Feb '18 - 20.5k mi / 333

wekebu
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 3:54 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jun 2018
Leaf Number: 305286
Location: Northern CA (Chico)

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 am

Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:That just means you'll qualify no matter what. There's an infographic about how the tax credit sunsetting works for Tesla, which applies to Nissan as well: https://insideevs.com/us-federal-7500-e ... estimates/

TL;DR: If Nissan sells it's 200,000th EV in Oct 2018, then all EV sales in that "quarter" (Oct, Nov, Dec), plus the one after it (Jan, Feb, Mar 2019) continue to qualify for the full tax credit amount. The two quarters after that only qualify for half the tax credit amount ($3750), and the two quarters after that only qualifies for 1/4 the amount ($1875). Thus, only Nissan EV's sold in April 2020 or later will get zero tax credits.


Thank you! My hubby and I have been searching for this answer. I should have come here first :D

techiefan
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 2:22 am
Delivery Date: 27 May 2018
Leaf Number: 304600

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:48 am

wekebu wrote:
Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:That just means you'll qualify no matter what. There's an infographic about how the tax credit sunsetting works for Tesla, which applies to Nissan as well: https://insideevs.com/us-federal-7500-e ... estimates/

TL;DR: If Nissan sells it's 200,000th EV in Oct 2018, then all EV sales in that "quarter" (Oct, Nov, Dec), plus the one after it (Jan, Feb, Mar 2019) continue to qualify for the full tax credit amount. The two quarters after that only qualify for half the tax credit amount ($3750), and the two quarters after that only qualifies for 1/4 the amount ($1875). Thus, only Nissan EV's sold in April 2020 or later will get zero tax credits.


Thank you! My hubby and I have been searching for this answer. I should have come here first :D


It's confusing for any new buyer and my dealer was totally clueless how it works which made it a guessing game for the most part until I came here. So anyone in the market is safe with getting the $7500 back in 2018 and into the first QTR of 2019. So if the trend keeps you can expect a rush to buy the 2019 models when they are released. This has it's own impact on the numbers too and could push the numbers faster should they release a total revamp for 2019 that includes double the range etc. Tesla is in the same boat but they are even closer to the 200K so it could be safe to say two manufactures will be at a disadvantage in 2020 with the others getting the benefit should the program continue. Could end or be extended at anytime and could change too. All unknown factors etc.

Congrats too!

randylsu
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:37 am
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2018

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:43 am

Came here for lease/buy info & thought I would provide some as well. My lease offer this week for '18 SL w/ Tech included a rebate of $7675, so it looks like that is back on. I saw some heated discussion about this, so clearly people are interested.

The initial discounted price is a little higher than I'm seeing from many on here, $35,999 (38,115 MSRP). Anyone have tips on getting that knocked down? They said it's been on the lot for a while, but I didn't get a build date.

I'm leaning toward leasing because I'm here in hot-as-hell TX, even though I have a $10k trade-in.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9206
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:36 pm

The build date is on the door jamb sticker. The defect rate seems higher through February, going down in March, as I see it. DO NOT buy a Leaf in Texas! The only exception might be if you only need 60 miles of range and want a new battery in four or five years.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

captslow
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:08 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2018

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new to the board and looking to get into my first Leaf. One of my local dealers here in SoCal offered me deal on a 2018 SL w/ Tech Package, Splash Guards, and Cargo mats. VIN#301391. Details below.

MSRP: $38115
Negotiated price: $34959
Rebates/Discounts: $2000 (NMAC)
Down payment: $2000
Cap Cost: $34235, financed over 72 months @ 0.0%

I can definitetly utilize all $7500 of the Federal tax credit. So buying seems like my cup of tea. Considering they are taking 8.3% off MSRP, I think they can do better since another dealer is offering a SV w/ Tech Package at 11.1% off MSRP. Thoughts?

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9206
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:00 pm

If you are in a Hot part of SoCal, you might want to consider leasing, even for a worse deal. The battery probably won't hold up very well in the heat. You would likely get a new battery under warranty in that case, but would you be ok with the range diminishing to 90 miles or less before it happened?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

captslow
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:08 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2018

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:26 am

LeftieBiker wrote:If you are in a Hot part of SoCal, you might want to consider leasing, even for a worse deal. The battery probably won't hold up very well in the heat. You would likely get a new battery under warranty in that case, but would you be ok with the range diminishing to 90 miles or less before it happened?


I'm in the LA-San Gabriel area, with a 40-mile round trip commute. It's definitely not Death Valley, but not Minnesota either. I'm not new to leasing, so I'm pretty open to it. I just need to do more research since I'm used to leasing other makes.

The top contenders on my list are the Leaf (new), a i3 REX, and Ioniq EV.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”