LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:21 pm

I ended up with two cars to decide between, neither of which was anything like ideal for me. The Bolt was uncomfortable and rode harshly (but had great range and power) while the 40kwh Leaf only had the features I want/need in the SL version, thus forcing on me a leather interior that I hate - but the Leaf rides and handles to my liking, has all the power I need, and the seats are at least large enough. The cloth version would be perfectly comfortable for me, but the leather gets rock-hard in the cold even under (cheap) seat covers, so that I feel every seam and lump in them. I had been counting on getting nice, padded, expensive, custom-fit seat covers, but the company that makes them never bothered to come up with covers for the 2018, telling me that the previous gen version will fit "more or less." That's for about $500..... So I'm left with a car that I would like if it had the options I want but not the ones I don't, and that would be great for me to drive if the battery weren't deteriorating far too fast. Ce est la vie.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

solartim

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:42 am

Deleted
Last edited by solartim on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdcbomb
Delivery Date: 18 May 2015

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:11 am

Looks like that link was taken down shortly after you posted it. Sad and funny to see if listed with wrong information.

In terms of 2019 discounts, I wonder if Nissan will have more aggressive discounts for 2019 40 kWh vehicles once the 60 kWh versions come out. With ProPilot reportedly becoming standard on all 60 kWh versions, it would only make sense to drop the 2019 40 kWh by a couple thousand.

Based on what I've gathered from multiple dealers here, the 18/19 MY inventory is drying up especially on the coasts, with Nissan slowing down 2019 40 kWh production. Will Nissan just focus on 60 kWh or will they allocate an equal amount to 40 kWh versions?
2018 Leaf SV - In Service 2019 January - Location: Raleigh, NC.
2013 Leaf SL - Original In Service 2013 February - Bar Losses: 2016.10.17 - 25,843 Miles -- 2017.06.23 - 32,080 Miles -- 2018.04.10 - 37,000 Miles -- 4th: 2018.09.23 - 44,255 Miles

LeftieBiker

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:32 pm

In terms of 2019 discounts, I wonder if Nissan will have more aggressive discounts for 2019 40 kWh vehicles once the 60 kWh versions come out.

Look for discounts on the loaded SV and SL 40kwh Leafs when the ePlus is out. I wouldn't expect as much off on S Leafs, and on SV Leafs with no Tech Package.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

iPlug
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2016

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:43 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
In terms of 2019 discounts, I wonder if Nissan will have more aggressive discounts for 2019 40 kWh vehicles once the 60 kWh versions come out.

Look for discounts on the loaded SV and SL 40kwh Leafs when the ePlus is out. I wouldn't expect as much off on S Leafs, and on SV Leafs with no Tech Package.

Our 2016 Leaf SV lease is up in 2 months. Hoping you are right, in which case might pick up another 3 year lease with an SV or SL 40kWh Leaf.
'19 Model 3 SR+ (own), '16 Leaf SV (leased), '12 Plug-in Prius (sold 3/19), 11.43kW Solar PV (16MWh/yr real production), 20.5 SEER/13.0 HSPF ducted air-source heat pump, 3.70 UEF heat pump water heater, Induction Cooktop, Variable Speed Pool Pump

LeftieBiker

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:21 pm

iPlug wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:

Our 2016 Leaf SV lease is up in 2 months. Hoping you are right, in which case might pick up another 3 year lease with an SV or SL 40kWh Leaf.

If prices haven't fallen in two months, try asking for a lease extension. They should fall on the 40kwh cars sometime between Memorial Day and Labor Day. You'll have to get creative and come up with a reason why you need to buy a Leaf three or six months from then, as opposed to then...

Kieran973
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2019

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:41 am

The problem, though, is that with the existing utility discount ($5,000 in NYC), I'm not sure Nissan would be willing to sell the 40 kWh for much lower. In the NYC area, you can already buy an SV with the tech package for around $22K, and $20K without the tech package. So steeper discounts would drive the real price of these cars into the teens.

What I think is more likely (though I could be totally wrong about this) is that Nissan will have to offer the utility discount on the Leaf Plus as well - maybe not right away, but definitely by the fall. Because assuming it's true that each trim of the Leaf Plus is a $5,500 markup over the 40K, then the actual cost in real money for an SV Leaf Plus in NYC would be $32K without the utility discount - a ten grand price hike for only 75 miles of range. So instead, if Nissan were to extend the utility discount to the Leaf Plus as well, bringing the total out of pocket cost for a 62 kWh SV to $27K, then 1.) this would be a much more reasonable price increase over the 40 kWh, and 2.) this would make the Leaf Plus much more competitive with the $30K base trims of the Kona and Niro - not just because those cars have more range, but because the Leaf Plus still has an AESC battery, and still has no liquid cooling, and will still have rapidgate fast charging speeds in their North American cars....
2019 Leaf SV (silver) with All-Weather Package

iPlug

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
iPlug wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:

If prices haven't fallen in two months, try asking for a lease extension. They should fall on the 40kwh cars sometime between Memorial Day and Labor Day. You'll have to get creative and come up with a reason why you need to buy a Leaf three or six months from then, as opposed to then...

Thanks, will consider that option.

Kieran973 wrote:The problem, though, is that with the existing utility discount ($5,000 in NYC), I'm not sure Nissan would be willing to sell the 40 kWh for much lower. In the NYC area, you can already buy an SV with the tech package for around $22K, and $20K without the tech package. So steeper discounts would drive the real price of these cars into the teens.

<span>What I think is more likely (though I could be totally wrong about this) is that Nissan will have to offer the utility discount on the Leaf Plus as well - maybe not right away, but definitely by the fall. Because assuming it's true that each trim of the Leaf Plus is a $5,500 markup over the 40K, then the actual cost in real money for an SV Leaf Plus in NYC would be $32K without the utility discount - a ten grand price hike for only 75 miles of range. So instead, if Nissan were to extend the utility discount to the Leaf Plus as well, bringing the total out of pocket cost for a 62 kWh SV to $27K, then 1.) this would be a much more reasonable price increase over the 40 kWh, and 2.) this would make the Leaf Plus much more competitive with the $30K base trims of the Kona and <a href="http://www.mykianiroev.com/forum" class="interlinkr">Niro<span class="tip">Visit the Niro Forum</span></a> - not just because those cars have more range, but because the Leaf Plus still has an AESC battery, and still has no liquid cooling, and will still have rapidgate fast charging speeds in their North American cars....</span>

Is the utility rebate given via the dealership or the utility?

We have PG&E which has participated in generous Leaf discounts in the past. The problem now, however, is with them filing bankruptcy - they are bouncing checks for other rebate programs.

Also we will probably not be buying a new Leaf but leasing and so far any generous purchase discounts are not reflected in leases except for the base trim S.
'19 Model 3 SR+ (own), '16 Leaf SV (leased), '12 Plug-in Prius (sold 3/19), 11.43kW Solar PV (16MWh/yr real production), 20.5 SEER/13.0 HSPF ducted air-source heat pump, 3.70 UEF heat pump water heater, Induction Cooktop, Variable Speed Pool Pump

Kieran973
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2019

Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am

The utility rebate is bizarre. It's purely a Nissan discount masquerading as a utility discount. Not sure what either party gets from the make believe, but this seems to be the way it's set up in most parts of the country:

https://www.coned.com/en/save-money/reb ... issan-leaf

I guess the good news for you is that, since none of the money would come from PG&E, their solvency wouldn't matter, so you should still be able to claim it?....
2019 Leaf SV (silver) with All-Weather Package

iPlug

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Good to hear. If Nissan is really the one taking the discount directly, yes PG&E bankruptcy would not matter.

The California Public Utilities Commission has given all of the state utilities money for electric vehicle rebates. Recently these PG&E checks sent to customers have been bouncing.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”