LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:12 am

cwerdna wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:I'm wondering if they were prototypes or early production beta test cars.

I doubt they'd be prototypes or ones that aren't meant for actual customers/fit for sale.

I don't think an automaker could legally sell those. AFAIK, those have to go to the crusher or have to stay within an automaker to never be sold or parted out to real customers. There could be some major legal liability problems or support problems down the road, esp. if they differed from actual production cars.

That's likely true for prototypes, but not necessarily for early production cars being tracked with beta testers. The PIP was tested that way, and I don't believe the cars were scrapped, although I don't remember what did happen to them.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:13 am

On this note, I found these and just read them both quickly:
https://jalopnik.com/ex-fbi-agent-tells ... 1754984967
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/busi ... -cars.html

I know about the pre-produtction PiPs that you're talking about. Some were even loaned for a short time (e.g. a week or so) to a few well-known Priuschatters. (not me) Their charging inlet was in a better spot and they had some weird quirks vs. actual production '12 PIPs that eventually shipped.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:25 am

Their charging inlet was in a better spot and they had some weird quirks vs. actual production '12 PIPs that eventually shipped.

Where was the charge port? I know that they had two separate batteries: a NiMH hybrid battery (likely a stock part) and the larger lithium battery for EV mode. Toyota decided to just reserve space in the big battery for HV mode, and lose the smaller one to save weight and complexity.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”