Have the True Early Adopters ordered?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossyleaf

I have noticed a shift in the buyers I am dealing with. Seems to be a big difference between the 4/20 reservations and the 5/15 reservations. What do you think?

mossyleaf said:
I have noticed a shift in the buyers I am dealing with. Seems to be a big difference between the 4/20 reservations and the 5/15 reservations. What do you think?

I think there must be quite a few "4/20 reservations" left to order in October. I signed up same day (4/20) but didn't catch the Sept order batch.

mossyleaf said:

I don't think we have come to 4/21 yet - let alone 5/15. Just you wait for the later orders ... "what do you mean I can't fill it up in the gas station?" :lol:

ps : Can you give some examples of the differences you are seeing now ?

Recent RAQ's are much less eager and uncertain not having driven the car. Seems to be very different attitude vs. day 1 reservationist. I wonder if after the drive event in San Diego, if that will make a difference?

Well some people may not be aware that they can walk away from the car if after seeing the car they do not like it could be what is happening. I jumped on the order and fully beleave I am buying the car. The car would have to be total junk and turn me off to stop this craving I have for new techie stuff. :D I never had an electric or hybred car before. I am in to techie things and have always wanted an electric car but until now they where for rich people and not for a working stiff like ME :mrgreen:

I have explained that you can cancel the order at any time and get your deposit back. Not enough for some. I feel bad for those on here who wish they could order now, when others just drag their feet. The upside being that maybe by the time that those who really want a Leaf can order they won't have to wait behind a straggler.

There are people in 46 states that are 4/20 reservation holders that can't order.
Tell them I'll trade my "Fall/Winter 2011" order date with them, then they'll have plenty of time to make their decision.

Leon, Some people may be waiting to see the Leaf at the mid October San Diego Leaf event. It is difficult for some people to decide without a test drive before making a firm commitment. It is a big investment. With tax and before the Federal tax credit it is $38,000.That approach is clearly understandable. Others like me (a May 15 reservation) want the car yesterday but are so committed that we will wait until our turn. Athough waiting a full year for delivery from the time I reserved it does test ones patience. When I ordered the Leaf I did not think it would take that long to get delivery. There were about 10,000 reservations ahead of me on May15. I thought that about 5,000 or less would place firm orders. That is what it probably will be . I never expected that Nissan would put rental car companys orders ahead of me or would leave the 5,000 or so reservations that have not ordered indefinately cloging up the order process. Nissan`s English Leaf site places a 30 day forfiture on reservations after an RAq. See www.nissan.co.uk/leaf-reservation

Stanley I hope and think your correct. Seeing, touching, driving is still a fundamental part of deciding what car to buy. I do think some of these folks are going to be a little miffed when they figure out they cost themselves a month or two for delivery. We'll see if my phone starts ringing off the hook 10-16.

mitch672 said:
There are people in 46 states that are 4/20 reservation holders that can't order.
Tell them I'll trade my "Fall/Winter 2011" order date with them, then they'll have plenty of time to make their decision.

I second that motion!

Open up a Northeast Division and we'll be there on Day One :)

On the original topic, yes, I think that those who placed an order earliest are those most committed to the product and eager to have it. They are also more likely to understand and be comfortable with the limitations. I think you are going to see the first wave of orders as the easy ones, the second wave as a tougher sell and a lull period, followed by an increasing third wave if things go as well as I expect.

evnow said:
I don't think we have come to 4/21 yet - let alone 5/15. Just you wait for the later orders ... "what do you mean I can't fill it up in the gas station?" :lol:

Yeah it seems like now we're up to about noon on 4/20, and at the rate they're going 5/15 might be sometime next year, and my 8/31 reservation ought to be handled around 2013 by which time Ford and GM are selling their pure EV cars. :(

Well generally one would expect to have a chance at a test drive before ordering a new car. My test drive came one day *after* ordering. For many of us, our test drives will come months after ordering. Comes with the territory I guess. But of course most people are not so gung-ho and will not commit themselves without checking out the car in person.

I was thinking the same thing while reading the thread about changing color and options after the order.
I like the order process but it certainly is not for everyone. No wonder dealers need cars on the lot to sell :roll:

Jimmydreams said:
mossyleaf said:
If you are able to cancel at any time where is the commitment?
What are you, a car salesman?!?!?:lol:
I'm afraid Jimmy is right, Leon. Most of us feel like we have "promised" to buy the LEAF, even though there is no commitment. Salespeople and non-salespeople really do have a different view of the world. ;)

I reserved within 3 hours of the e-mail on 4/20 in NorCal, and still can't order. :( I keep in touch with my PD every other week or so, and keep checking my dashboard, but I get no love. I went through this with ordering our smart car, so I understand the process and that dates are somewhat flexible. There are some of us eager beavers still out there waiting to chomp as soon as our dashboards open up, though.

Back