My first car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jena

I heart the Nissan Leaf and am totally new to getting a new car :) I guess the cost depends on where I live and what dealer I go to and there are fees, taxes, and discounts. Im so confused. There are websites saying leasing a Leaf can be as low as $200/mo but nissanusa.com says $435/mo for SL model.

Can someone please help simplify this for me? I live in the Northern California area, San Bruno to be more specific. How much should I save to have one and do we know when more people can order one? Thanks for any help :)

Welcome.
There are extensive threads on leasing, and good threads on prices of the car, the one "option", and the "accessories".

The $200 lease figure is either wrong or is after making a big up-front payment.

The LEAF is not inexpensive like a KIA might be, but ... it uses no gasoline and has no "tailpipe".

We are glad that you "heart" it. :)

The LEAF will be the first NEW car I've purchased, also. I've never had much interest in cars, other than as a means of getting to work, so I've been fine with the several used cars I driven over the years. But I didn't feel like waiting a few years for used EVs to come on the market.

garygid said:
....The $200 lease figure is either wrong or is after making a big up-front payment....

I think that $200 figure may have come from here. It assumes the SV model and the $5k CVRP rebate plus + $7500 Fed credit are rolled into the monthly lease payments. Check the leasing links and the CVRP links here to figure out if you can swing that sort of deal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSbNhBKpF3Q[/youtube]

Jena said:
I heart the Nissan Leaf and am totally new to getting a new car :) I guess the cost depends on where I live and what dealer I go to and there are fees, taxes, and discounts. Im so confused. There are websites saying leasing a Leaf can be as low as $200/mo but nissanusa.com says $435/mo for SL model.

Can someone please help simplify this for me? I live in the Northern California area, San Bruno to be more specific. How much should I save to have one and do we know when more people can order one? Thanks for any help :)

Hi Jena, welcome.

As has been already mentioned, to get that $200 figure, the federal $7500 tax credit and the California $5,000 rebate were included in the down payment for the lease. It also assumes that you pay $2,000 down at the start of the lease, which includes the first month's payment. Also, that $200 doesn't include sales tax.

It's very unlikely that someone who isn't in line to order the Leaf already will get the California rebate because the funds are limited and by the time you get on the list and get your car, probably sometime late in 2011 (if you're lucky), that money will be gone. The dealer will automatically include the $7,500 tax credit in the lease for you, so you don't have to save any money for that.

An example of a realistic lease payment is the $417 per month that I'll be paying for a 39 month lease. I'll give the dealer $2,000 that includes a down payment plus my first month's payment and the lease origination fee and license fee. You could probably do a zero down lease, but you'd still need around $1200 due at lease signing, and the monthly payment would be a bit more.

Just some details on that deal: I got a $1,000 discount on the MSRP of the car. My car is the SL model which costs almost $1,000 more than the base SV model. I paid another $700 for the quick charging option and $170 for floor mats.

There's a lot to know about leasing and you should find a friend who knows something about it to help you negotiate the deal.

I hope this is helpful. Please feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

I hope that the Leaf turns out to be your first car!!

thanks Boomer23 :) and everyone else for your input.

$700 for the quick charging option? i didnt know that was another extra cost. $700 is a lot of gas money. If I decide to lease an SL can I add it on later? Its probably going be a while before quick charge stations are actually built in the san bruno area.

I passed on the L3 as I cannot see any benefit for my needs.
I will not be taking any long trips in the Leaf.
L2 at home or at nearby destinations will be plenty for me.

Jena said:
Its probably going be a while before quick charge stations are actually built in the san bruno area.
I think they'll be installed faster than you think, especially in the south bay area. Where higher density pockets of EV sales exist, there will be more charging stations. Businesses will start getting on the band wagon in no time. Best Buy and BP are already planning on installations all over the US.

Boomer23 said:
Jena said:

Hi Jena, welcome.

As has been already mentioned, to get that $200 figure, the federal $7500 tax credit and the California $5,000 rebate were included in the down payment for the lease. It also assumes that you pay $2,000 down at the start of the lease, which includes the first month's payment. Also, that $200 doesn't include sales tax.

It's very unlikely that someone who isn't in line to order the Leaf already will get the California rebate because the funds are limited and by the time you get on the list and get your car, probably sometime late in 2011 (if you're lucky), that money will be gone. The dealer will automatically include the $7,500 tax credit in the lease for you, so you don't have to save any money for that.

An example of a realistic lease payment is the $417 per month that I'll be paying for a 39 month lease. I'll give the dealer $2,000 that includes a down payment plus my first month's payment and the lease origination fee and license fee. You could probably do a zero down lease, but you'd still need around $1200 due at lease signing, and the monthly payment would be a bit more.

Just some details on that deal: I got a $1,000 discount on the MSRP of the car. My car is the SL model which costs almost $1,000 more than the base SV model. I paid another $700 for the quick charging option and $170 for floor mats.

There's a lot to know about leasing and you should find a friend who knows something about it to help you negotiate the deal.

I hope this is helpful. Please feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

I hope that the Leaf turns out to be your first car!!

Besides the $2000 down that Nissan requires, there is also a $595 acquisition fee. So you will need about $2600 for a lease. As far as I've seen or read, there is no zero down lease for the LEAF. Experts on leasing recommend the least down as possible. We had a link a while back telling the best way to lease, but I can't remember where it is.

LEAFfan said:
Besides the $2000 down that Nissan requires, there is also a $595 acquisition fee. So you will need about $2600 for a lease. As far as I've seen or read, there is no zero down lease for the LEAF. Experts on leasing recommend the least down as possible. We had a link a while back telling the best way to lease, but I can't remember where it is.

When I ordered, my dealer specified the above terms. The acquisition fee was not to be paid up front but rather "capitalized" into the lease. The amount "down" in the lease terms that he specified was $1089, plus the $7500 federal tax credit. The remaining items that add up to $2,000 out of pocket include the first month's payment, $88 reg fee, $397 license fee, and a $9 tire fee.

I'm not saying that I guarantee that Nissan will do this lease, but these are the written terms that my dealer sent me, so I would expect them to honor them. In any case, the acquisition fee can be capitalized into the lease, so Jena won't have to fork it over up front.

This might be a good topic for the dealer threads.

Boomer23 said:
LEAFfan said:

When I ordered, my dealer specified the above terms. The acquisition fee was not to be paid up front but rather "capitalized" into the lease. The amount "down" in the lease terms that he specified was $1089, plus the $7500 federal tax credit. The remaining items that add up to $2,000 out of pocket include the first month's payment, $88 reg fee, $397 license fee, and a $9 tire fee.

I'm not saying that I guarantee that Nissan will do this lease, but these are the written terms that my dealer sent me, so I would expect them to honor them. In any case, the acquisition fee can be capitalized into the lease, so Jena won't have to fork it over up front.

This might be a good topic for the dealer threads.

Oh, I forgot that the af fee was rolled into the lease. But Nissan still is saying $1999 down which includes the first month payment. All of those other things you have listed I will pay here when I register my LEAF.

Back