User avatar
HIOJim
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:19 am
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 5294
Location: King City, Oregon

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:06 am

I called NMAC today and requested a 6-month lease extension on my 2016 SV which expires in April of 2018. No free months were offered and I sensed a reluctance on NMAC's part do the extension. It was only after I told them that I was waiting for the 2019 200-mile model that they approved it. This was a very different experience from when I extended my 2013 Leaf.

I'm not loving the rapid battery capacity loss of my 2016 but it still has the range to do its job and I doubt I will get a $250/mo lease on a 2018. Perhaps by October 2018 there will be better deals out there.
Hans (2017 VW e-Golf SE) Leased 01/16/18
The Blue Beauty (2016 Leaf SV) - Lease return 01/21/18
The Dark Knight (2013 Leaf S) - Lease return 03/31/16
LineJumper (2011 Nissan LEAF eTec) - Sold 10/01/11
Sparky (2012 Chevy Volt) - Purchased 09/16/11

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12811
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:50 pm

HIOJim wrote:I called NMAC today and requested a 6-month lease extension on my 2016 SV which expires in April of 2018. No free months were offered and I sensed a reluctance on NMAC's part do the extension. It was only after I told them that I was waiting for the 2019 200-mile model that they approved it. This was a very different experience from when I extended my 2013 Leaf.

I'm not loving the rapid battery capacity loss of my 2016 but it still has the range to do its job and I doubt I will get a $250/mo lease on a 2018. Perhaps by October 2018 there will be better deals out there.


Not sure why they wouldn't want to extend you. Its not like they want the car back.

What are your most recent battery stats?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 2483 miles, 490 GIDs, 38.2 Ahr available, SOH 99.30, Hx 114.37
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
HIOJim
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:19 am
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 5294
Location: King City, Oregon

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:32 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
HIOJim wrote:I called NMAC today and requested a 6-month lease extension on my 2016 SV which expires in April of 2018. No free months were offered and I sensed a reluctance on NMAC's part do the extension. It was only after I told them that I was waiting for the 2019 200-mile model that they approved it. This was a very different experience from when I extended my 2013 Leaf.

I'm not loving the rapid battery capacity loss of my 2016 but it still has the range to do its job and I doubt I will get a $250/mo lease on a 2018. Perhaps by October 2018 there will be better deals out there.


Not sure why they wouldn't want to extend you. Its not like they want the car back.

What are your most recent battery stats?

Perhaps they're trying to supply their dealers with cars they can 'flip' for a quick buck?

My latest stats are:

AHR - 66.67
SOH - 84.26
365.7V
HX - 79.69
ODO - 6,985
1 QC
223 L1/L2

Still have 12 capacity bars. Isn't the first supposed to drop when you the SOH reaches 85%?
Hans (2017 VW e-Golf SE) Leased 01/16/18
The Blue Beauty (2016 Leaf SV) - Lease return 01/21/18
The Dark Knight (2013 Leaf S) - Lease return 03/31/16
LineJumper (2011 Nissan LEAF eTec) - Sold 10/01/11
Sparky (2012 Chevy Volt) - Purchased 09/16/11

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12811
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:35 pm

HIOJim wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
HIOJim wrote:I called NMAC today and requested a 6-month lease extension on my 2016 SV which expires in April of 2018. No free months were offered and I sensed a reluctance on NMAC's part do the extension. It was only after I told them that I was waiting for the 2019 200-mile model that they approved it. This was a very different experience from when I extended my 2013 Leaf.

I'm not loving the rapid battery capacity loss of my 2016 but it still has the range to do its job and I doubt I will get a $250/mo lease on a 2018. Perhaps by October 2018 there will be better deals out there.


Not sure why they wouldn't want to extend you. Its not like they want the car back.

What are your most recent battery stats?

Perhaps they're trying to supply their dealers with cars they can 'flip' for a quick buck?

My latest stats are:

AHR - 66.67
SOH - 84.26
365.7V
HX - 79.69
ODO - 6,985
1 QC
223 L1/L2

Still have 12 capacity bars. Isn't the first supposed to drop when you the SOH reaches 85%?

its closer to 80% on 30 kwh packs

how is your mileage so low?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 2483 miles, 490 GIDs, 38.2 Ahr available, SOH 99.30, Hx 114.37
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
HIOJim
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:19 am
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 5294
Location: King City, Oregon

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:49 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:its closer to 80% on 30 kwh packs

how is your mileage so low?

The Leaf is our #2 vehicle and only used for my commute to work, which is only 4 miles away. I'm sure the numerous short trips didn't help the battery, though the 2013 it replaced still had a SOH of 92% after the same service life.
Hans (2017 VW e-Golf SE) Leased 01/16/18
The Blue Beauty (2016 Leaf SV) - Lease return 01/21/18
The Dark Knight (2013 Leaf S) - Lease return 03/31/16
LineJumper (2011 Nissan LEAF eTec) - Sold 10/01/11
Sparky (2012 Chevy Volt) - Purchased 09/16/11

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12811
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:22 pm

HIOJim wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:its closer to 80% on 30 kwh packs

how is your mileage so low?

The Leaf is our #2 vehicle and only used for my commute to work, which is only 4 miles away. I'm sure the numerous short trips didn't help the battery, though the 2013 it replaced still had a SOH of 92% after the same service life.


Well I wouldn't charge it above 70% SOC EVER if that is all you are using it for. On 2nd thought, I might not charge it over 50% !
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 2483 miles, 490 GIDs, 38.2 Ahr available, SOH 99.30, Hx 114.37
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
HIOJim
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:19 am
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 5294
Location: King City, Oregon

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:41 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
HIOJim wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:its closer to 80% on 30 kwh packs

how is your mileage so low?

The Leaf is our #2 vehicle and only used for my commute to work, which is only 4 miles away. I'm sure the numerous short trips didn't help the battery, though the 2013 it replaced still had a SOH of 92% after the same service life.


Well I wouldn't charge it above 70% SOC EVER if that is all you are using it for. On 2nd thought, I might not charge it over 50% !

If only I could be sure that this would make a difference.
Hans (2017 VW e-Golf SE) Leased 01/16/18
The Blue Beauty (2016 Leaf SV) - Lease return 01/21/18
The Dark Knight (2013 Leaf S) - Lease return 03/31/16
LineJumper (2011 Nissan LEAF eTec) - Sold 10/01/11
Sparky (2012 Chevy Volt) - Purchased 09/16/11

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12811
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:01 pm

HIOJim wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
HIOJim wrote:The Leaf is our #2 vehicle and only used for my commute to work, which is only 4 miles away. I'm sure the numerous short trips didn't help the battery, though the 2013 it replaced still had a SOH of 92% after the same service life.


Well I wouldn't charge it above 70% SOC EVER if that is all you are using it for. On 2nd thought, I might not charge it over 50% !

If only I could be sure that this would make a difference.


oh it does. With your level of need, you should never charge to 100% except in the dead of Winter. Its all a measure of need versus the reality of heat sensitive chemistry.

Just a quick comment on high SOC, even when its cold like 0ºC, degradation is 3X worse for pack stored at 100% versus storing it at 40% SOC.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 2483 miles, 490 GIDs, 38.2 Ahr available, SOH 99.30, Hx 114.37
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker
Posts: 8391
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:16 pm

I'd suggest an equalizing charge about once a month, always on a cool or cold night. Otherwise it may develop large imbalances between the cells.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium and no QC, a 2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, and 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12811
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:18 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I'd suggest an equalizing charge about once a month, always on a cool or cold night. Otherwise it may develop large imbalances between the cells.


hopefully not too large and balance is more critical when you need that extra little bit of range and that is not seeming likely in this case. Cells balance all the time so shouldn't be too far out of whack. With LEAF Spy, I would check it once a week to look for any cells wandering off on their own
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 2483 miles, 490 GIDs, 38.2 Ahr available, SOH 99.30, Hx 114.37
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”