End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonnylax

What are some of the strategies you use if you are coming off of a lease and wanting to roll into another 2-year Leaf lease?

Has anyone had any success contacting Nissan Finance a few months early to ask for (financial) help? Would NF ever waive your remaining payments a few months early, if you got another Leaf lease? How does the Nissan Loyalty rebate apply in the above scenario and how do you ensure that the Dealer isn't screwing around with the money figures to their benefit?

sonnylax said:
What are some of the strategies you use if you are coming off of a lease and wanting to roll into another 2-year Leaf lease?

Has anyone had any success contacting Nissan Finance a few months early to ask for (financial) help? Would NF ever waive your remaining payments a few months early, if you got another Leaf lease? How does the Nissan Loyalty rebate apply in the above scenario and how do you ensure that the Dealer isn't screwing around with the money figures to their benefit?

They let me extend my lease for 1 year at my current payment - which is very low, just by calling and asking. No dealer involvement.

bump.

sonnylax said:
Yes. They sometimes offer three month early termination but it is for certain calendar time spans.
I don't think they have it right now.
Ran out end of April IIRC.
Lots of other threads that discuss. You need to search.
Yes searching MNL is difficult.

sonnylax said:
bump.

We're not even 1yr into our 2 yr lease and we received a letter from our original dealer offering to trade us into a new lease. The letter said its a rare "opportunity" to get into a new lease waiving payments on the current lease.

At the time I thought it was the usual marketing mumbo jumbo. Probably still think so. Not sure what this dealership has/had in mind. Not sure if they were going to somehow roll the old payments into the new payments or if there really was some deal via NF.

We had a falling out with this dealership. They're referring to our 1st vehicle. It was totaled (not our fault). We tried to get a new lease from them and they quoted us 50% more for an identical replacement vehicle. They wouldn't return phone calls. Wouldn't check with NF. Meanwhile the biggest area LEAF dealership (Auto Park Nissan) spent weeks pursuing it with NF and was able to get us into a replacement LEAF while continuing our old lease. Worked out really really well for us.

Bottom line, sounds like its certainly possible to have them waive remaining payments.

tailgate1234 said:
sonnylax said:

They let me extend my lease for 1 year at my current payment - which is very low, just by calling and asking. No dealer involvement.

I'm really interested in doing this, and I think it might be in Nissan's best interested too. My 2 year lease on a 2012 SL will end December of this year. The residual on it is something like $25k, which is at least 7K too high. I'd be willing to extend their day of reckoning on this another 1 - 2 years at current payments. Heck I'd even be ready to go somewhat higher. I have a ridiculously cheap $127/m payment.

I'll call Nissan financial this month to see what the deal is on something like this.

I've received numerous letters like that from many dealers over the years. It is almost always simply a come-on without any merit. When you try to take them up on it is when the devil and his details rears its head...

dm33 said:
[We're not even 1yr into our 2 yr lease and we received a letter from our original dealer offering to trade us into a new lease. The letter said its a rare "opportunity" to get into a new lease waiving payments on the current lease.

Exactly. Just went through this will Alan Webb in Vancouver. A hollow promise and a waste of an afternoon. The offer was to switch to a new Leaf lease for the cost of the current lease. The final numbers were another $4K down and $199/mo payments vs the current $99 payments. More of a trust breaker than a customer perk.

How do you know if an Early Lease Termination is available? Is it offered only to certain leasees? Or is offered only during a certain part of the calendar?

How does the Nissan Loyalty rebate work? How much is it typically and how do you ensure that the Dealer isn't screwing around with the money figures to their benefit?

SteveInSeattle said:
I keep waiting for the most important detail!!! What does the one year extension do to the RESIDUAL?
My guess is it would be reduced by the amount of depreciation paid up.

Given my low lease rate ($125) and no worthwhile competition expected by next year, I'll probably end up extending my lease next May.

P71VIC said:
I have a ridiculously cheap $127/m payment.

evnow said:
Given my low lease rate ($125)

Turnover said:
vs the current $99 payments.

Similar to the original poster, my lease ends Dec. '14. I too have been offered the option of extinding for a year. My payment is $240 / mo. (this was a zero $ down, zero $ out the door $240/month).

How did the three of you get such great lease rates? Maybe more pertinent, are these rates still available today (without ridiculously high out the door fees)? The best I've seen in my limited searching is $1999 down, $148/month from North Bay Nissan. The ad is still up on their website, even though it says the offer ends May 31, 2014.

Gary

brg2290 said:
Similar to the original poster, my lease ends Dec. '14. I too have been offered the option of extinding for a year. My payment is $240 / mo. (this was a zero $ down, zero $ out the door $240/month).

How did the three of you get such great lease rates?
Mine is really like yours - since I paid $2k down. Zero down mine would have been something like $200 (no tax in WA).

I pay $129/month but I had to pay $2999 down to get it.

In retrospect it probably wasn't the savviest move, but what you gonna do.

I called Nissan today - they wouldnt discuss my lease termination till I received the packet from them 6 months prior to lease termination. Technically I am already there with my lease expiring Dec 4th - but no package yet. Is that something that being regularly offered - 1 year lease extension at the current price? I am considering Tesla X and according to their customer service it should be available, if I am to put deposit now, at around late summer/early fall next year - would work perfect. Is it the only extension U can get - in case Their production runing late?

Viktor said:
I called Nissan today - they wouldnt discuss my lease termination till I received the packet from them 6 months prior to lease termination. Technically I am already there with my lease expiring Dec 4th - but no package yet. Is that something that being regularly offered - 1 year lease extension at the current price? I am considering Tesla X and according to their customer service it should be available, if I am to put deposit now, at around late summer/early fall next year - would work perfect. Is it the only extension U can get - in case Their production runing late?
don't hold your breath waiting for the Tesla X, if you are really interested in the Tesla and like your LEAF I would consider doing a 1 year extension because the model X more than likely is more than a year out from becoming reality

Given my low lease rate ($125) and no worthwhile competition expected by next year, I'll probably end up extending my lease next May.

I'm paying $149 a month and will also be extending my lease 4-6 months. Four if there is a great "lease sale' next Labor Day weekend, six if no sale. Those of us who made substantial down payments for low monthly payments would be foolish not to keep that low payment for as long as possible. I also have hopes to "sell" my purchase option at lease end, and if the residual is a bit lower, that's also better for that strategy.

WHITELEAFLINY said:
are you concered about the warranty expirein g ,if you leased for 3 years,and extend for another year.

I don't think this was addressed to me, but I'll answer for me: I leased for two years, so the warranty isn't an issue. Good point, though, although it seems that the Leaf's manufacturing defects seem to appear early.

Back