Additional miles on existing lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inphoenix

I took over the lease of a 2014 S a few months ago and loving it so far. We end up driving our Leaf way more than our other ICE car and based on some rough analysis we will overshoot the allocated 36K miles well before the lease is over. So the options are to turn in the car early or to not use it all that much.

I know we can pay the overage of miles when we turn in the car. Does anyone know what NMAC charges per mile?

I was wondering if we can buy extra miles during the lease? Has anyone every tried to do that? Or do you know the cost per mile over the allocated miles when pre-paying?

Any help would be appreciated (and yes taking over another lease is also an option).

LeftieBiker said:
If you don't need most of the car's range, and love it, consider buying it when the lease ends.

Actually I do need the range. Looking forward to get a Leaf Gen 2 / Bolt / any other 150-200 mile range EV when this lease is up by mid-2017.

You will pay 15 cents/mile. There is no working around it. You can choose to turn in the car early, but you will still owe all the remainder payments. Since you took over another lease, you did not have a choice while taking over, however, when signing a new one, Nissan offers a choice to pre-pay upfront extra miles at 10 cents/mile rather than post pay at 15 cents/mile.

If you took over the lease recently, I would still call Nissan to see if they will honor a pre-pay of extra miles..

mihird said:
You will pay 15 cents/mile. There is no working around it. You can choose to turn in the car early, but you will still owe all the remainder payments. Since you took over another lease, you did not have a choice while taking over, however, when signing a new one, Nissan offers a choice to pre-pay upfront extra miles at 10 cents/mile rather than post pay at 15 cents/mile.

If you took over the lease recently, I would still call Nissan to see if they will honor a pre-pay of extra miles..

Yes, I am aware that even if I turn it in early I will pay till the end of the lease and that is fine (Sorry if I wasn't clear). I guess I will have to calculate at that time if it makes sense to keep the car while driving extra miles at 15c a mile or just get a new lease at that time.

That's a good suggestion about calling them to find out if they will let me prepay. I will do that. Thanks.

The rate at which these cars are depreciating, even if you put 10,000-15,000 extra miles, you may be better off paying $1500-$2000 & getting out of the car. Evaluate the numbers in your situation though. And don't forget that you are saving by not spending on gas & maintenance all along those extra miles.

When I returned my lease, I was appalled to know how much the car has depreciated. It was almost $8,000-$10,000 off stated residual.

I m curious tough how Nissan is managing these steep losses on lease returns.

Back